Dizzy after standing up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Both my husband and I get this. mine is a combination of having to take meds for high blood pressure, having a low RHR (42bpm this am) and being "fitter than fit" (as my GP's system has me!) and his is just his fitness level - worse after our latest cycle tour.
I have on one occasion (2 years ago) passed out whilst cycling - or more accurate I stopped cycling because I felt dizzy and found a new use for a Garmin Edge - told me how long I have been unconscious on the side of a bridleway, but usually it is just a 'stood up too quickly' problem and it goes away if you learn to take life more slowly...
I do include iron tablets in my diet (I have always been prone to anaemia) but know from blood tests that this is not (normally) the problem for me.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
I also get this I mentioned it to my doctor he said it was because I was an active individual :bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Low 30s is low my PB is 38 bpm it's normally around 45
I think it was 34 bpm. The first HRM I used always displayed exactly 40 bpm and I couldn't understand why it never varied. I then found out that it was the minimum that the device would go down to! When I bought a new monitor, it would display 34-38 bpm most mornings. That was when I was lying in bed and making an effort to relax. Any movement or thinking about anything stressful immediately made the pulse rate ramp up. When I got unfit, my RHR went up to about 60 bpm.

When I got ill in 2012, it went up to over 150 bpm, which was a big hint that something serious was wrong! :eek:

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
I think it was 34 bpm. The first HRM I used always displayed exactly 40 bpm and I couldn't understand why it never varied. I then found out that it was the minimum that the device would go down to! When I bought a new monitor, it would display 34-38 bpm most mornings. That was when I was lying in bed and making an effort to relax. Any movement or thinking about anything stressful immediately made the pulse rate ramp up. When I got unfit, my RHR went up to about 60 bpm.

When I got ill in 2012, it went up to over 150 bpm, which was a big hint that something serious was wrong! :eek:
I only ever check mine when people mention theirs to be honest,
Blimey 150.. :eek:

oslomike

Wow, I'm glad to see that there are more of us out there! I too feel that my problem is a low resting heart rate. I'm still going to have a bunch of tests done, but hopefully that will only confirm that there isn't anything wrong somewhere else. I definitely get up slower these past couple of days and that seems to keep all dizziness away. It's a bit unsettling and frustrating, as I have never fainted before, and yet, I have never been more fit that I am now. Thank for all the stories and info!
mike

Good thread, on the first page there is the explanation of the low resting Heartrate which makes sense as I get this too getting up out of bed which is when I have been resting ;-)

I've not checked my resting Heartrate in a very long time, it was at or around the mid to low 50s about 6 or 7 months ago when I started my fitness frenzy. I ride a lot, doctor took me off cholesterol meds in May and my numbers plummeted (for the good) shocked her too. I am 5' 9" and right around 150 lbs (lost 45 lbs this winter and spring). If I get up slowly and take my time standing, I am fine. If I get up up and start walking I usually have to stop and sit down on my wife's side of the bed on my way to the bathroom, waking her in the process.

If this really is just a low resting Heartrate, I think I will have a talk with my wife and let her know that we need to think of things to do in bed to increase my Heartrate ;-)

Paul Bromley

I suffered from this. The doctor called it is postural hypotension.

Over the years it has been well correlated with my cycling ie I don't get it on the months I don't cycle (during the winter). Takes a few seconds to recover after standing up. One occasion I blacked out. Usually occurs in the evening when you're seat for a couple of hours watching a film

But you know the first step - visit to the vet !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For a while now i've been suffering from short spells of dizziness, after standing up. quite bad ones sometimes, they affect my vision in some cases.
My health is generally really good, got my blood pressure and stuff checked not so long ago and I was spot on. got a resting heart rate of around 55bpm.
My wife has been trying to figure out the problem, and she reckons it happens most after a long ride. given that the obvious causes of "headswim" is low blood pressure, could this be caused by sweating out a lot of salt?
Has anyone else experienced this? it's not a life-threatening problem (as far as i'm aware) just a bit annoying. and if there's something I could try to fix it... that would be good.

I've always had that, I just assumed it was normal - but have seen the worried look on others' faces on occasion, so perhaps it's not everyone gets it. No advice I'm afraid

Tynan

Veteran
Postural hypertension is what they told me, along with an enlarged left ventricle

It seems to have largely got better,perhaps I drink the first few a little slower and I've learnt to get up a bit more gradually, a low chair, alcohol and dark chocolate are all complicators.

I make the effort to get more sleep these days too which has made me a new person, I was always tired, irritable and grumpy

Whereas now I'm not tired, irritable and grumpy (joking, happy as a sandboy, happier anyway)

Top Bottom