Do Cycle Cameras make the road safer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hell, elm a cyclist and some of the footage makes me hate cyclists. Some of the adenoidal, self righteous, two wheeled twattery is breathtakingly painful to watch.

lutonloony

Über Member
Don't use one myself, so not sure my thoughts are valid, but I think that as they become more common, there will be less notice taken of them, so their effectiveness will decrease. ( obviously still useful for evidence in crash etc). Also it is very rare to see on tube etc posts of curtious drivers, which I still think are the majority

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I believe some of the footage has fuelled hatred towards cyclists.
Judging by the comments under every Youtube helmet cam clip, you have a point. I'm with @srw. I don't use one because I don't want to step out of the front door with a feeling that I'm going into battle against a horde of nasty motorists....

...because I'm not. They are a pretty considerate bunch round here.

Last edited:

crazyjoe101

I use a helmet camera and it has made me a bit safer I suppose because I've learnt to improve a couple of aspects of my riding by reviewing footage of near misses etc. I'll run it when I'm in a busy area because of the number of dodgy things that happen compared to quiet country roads and when I inevitably end up colliding with something, I want to have footage to (hopefully) show that it wasn't my fault.
This one time I got into an argument with someone and they drove at me - the police used the footage to arrest him and he got a caution against doing similar in future so perhaps he'll think twice before road raging because he has that against him, who knows.
I think the short answer is that it depends on who uses them and how - you get militants like 4chords etc. on YT and they just create more problems than they'll ever solve and on the other hand you have people who use them for insurance and do nothing with the footage.

If every vehicle I the road had to be fitted with cameras then yes I suspect it would make the roads safer

That would include a rider/ driver facing camera

Yeah, nevermind black boxes, front/back facing cameras and then there would very rarely be any doubt as to who is at fault when something happens. fat chance though, by the time something like that is likely to come around there'll be self driving cars everywhere anyway.

Glad this topic pop up.

I was almost purchasing a Fly 6 mainly due to the intimidating driver on my daily commute, plus I was in the market for a new rear light.
However I was told by my in house Police Constable, that the evidence from this device would not hold up in court (Scotland) as the camera is disguised as a light.
I would have to slap a sign on my behind to warn road users they were being filmed.

No. They only increase the owners' anxiety levels.

Judging by the comments under every Youtube helmet cam clip, you have a point. I'm with @srw. I don't use one because I don't want to step out of the front door with a feeling that I'm going into battle against a horde of nasty motorists....

...because I'm not. They are a pretty considerate bunch round here.

The reality is that it doesn't happen, it is simply there like lights, or a pannier, fit and forget. If something does happen, it is in fact LESS stressful as you don't need to worry about details, registration numbers etc as it is all there.

Most evenings it is simply deleted, however the odd occasions are there to keep and / or use

As for promoting "hatred", it is again an illusion, the only thing you need for that is a bicycle!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I haven't got one.... yet, who knows if I ever will. I'm not sure that make things safer, but I do think they are useful in the event of an incident. For some it may slightly calm their behaviour knowing that they are being recorded (more the helmet wearer), but that certainly isn't true for all camera wearers.

I'd often just want it to show the odd things that occur on your commute. It actually makes me feel travel sick watching the footage so it would be rare that I'd actually watch it.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Do you know what would make the roads safer? If everyone using them respected the road, the conditions and all the other people using them.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
No, because drivers don't fear being caught intimidating you, ignoring you, or behaving in otherwise inconsiderate ways, nor do they fear the consequences of being caught.

They might have some utility in capturing evidence for insurance claims.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Cameras on bikes have been on the go for years and day after day we see people posting "close passes" on the internet . Cameras do not add to road safety in my opinion. Riders who concentrate on their roadcraft instead of framing shots and shouting "Oy" at passing cars, add more to road safety.

crazyjoe101

Glad this topic pop up.

I was almost purchasing a Fly 6 mainly due to the intimidating driver on my daily commute, plus I was in the market for a new rear light.
However I was told by my in house Police Constable, that the evidence from this device would not hold up in court (Scotland) as the camera is disguised as a light.
I would have to slap a sign on my behind to warn road users they were being filmed.

I am almost 100% certain that this is not true. You are allowed to film in a public place and you do not have to inform or obtain consent from anyone in a public place to do so. Unless Scotland has some specific law to the contrary then this is the case, although I couldn't find such a law with a quick Google search.

Top Bottom