Do expensive tyres last any longer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Tyres are a very personal thing. I've been running Schwalbe Marathon 26 x1.25 ( about £15 each on t'net ) on my commuter for the last three years, averaging about 5k miles a year and have recently fitted my second set as the treads on the originals were wearing thin and had too many wee cuts for my liking - !. Not the fastest or lightest choice, but a good touring tyre and I favour puncture resistance and grip over speed, so yer pays yer money and makes yer choice - !:rofl:

That makes a huge difference to tyre life. I can't say I do it every ride, but usually weekly at least. It doesn't take long for tiny bits of hard stone to embed themselves and create a cut, and sufficient of them increase the rate the rubber disappears at. Removing the crap stuck on the tyre and in the treads also greatly reduces the number of punctures - get the sharp bits out before they work right through the tyre.

Good advice. What do you use for the job of broddling bits out? I use the little hook thing from my multitool but suspect it's not the best tool for the job. Actually, does anyone know what that bit of the multitool is supposed to be for?! (thinnest flip-out part, snuggled up to the chain tool in the pic)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-hexu...|pcrid|67090793462|pkw||pmt||prd|5360381893uk

winjim

Smash the cistern
Good advice. What do you use for the job of broddling bits out? I use the little hook thing from my multitool but suspect it's not the best tool for the job. Actually, does anyone know what that bit of the multitool is supposed to be for?! (thinnest flip-out part, snuggled up to the chain tool in the pic)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-hexus-ii-16-function-multi-tool/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360381893&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360381893uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign&utm_medium=base&utm_content=sR58R3iRQ_dc|pcrid|67090793462|pkw||pmt||prd|5360381893uk
It's for holding the ends of your chain together while you mend it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I keep forgetting I have this. @vickster and I were struggling to break a chain the other day, and this multitool was snuggled in my seat pack. Never thought to get it out.

During my recent chain joining adventure with @StuAff I would have struggled to get the job done had he not been there to hold the two ends together.

Top Bottom