Do expensive tyres last any longer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I'm using Vittoria zaffiro tyres which cost about a tenner each. They've lasted about 500 miles before I've noticed some little cuts in them. I've been pleased with the grip and an tempted to get another set but just wondered is this a decent amount of miles. Would it be more cost effective to buy a more expensive pair?
No. Firstly unless you've been extremely unlucky or riding over broken beer bottles a lot, I doubt the zaffiro tyres are anywhere near worn out. Secondly there isn't really any proven correlation or formula linking cost to durability as both those variables differ widely across brands and all riders have different setups and riding conditions and a subjective view of when it's time to change.

Bottom line is don't let anything stop you getting new tyres if you want, but don't assume you're going to get an improvement by right.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well, if the zafiros are worn out at 500 then the rubinos would last longer.

I wrote a review thread about 2 pairs of rubinos I bought https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/vittoria-rubinos.148176. They lasted a little under 7000km each, with about one puncture each tyre during it's life. Even calculated total cost of tyres is about £0.30/100 km.

Not sure how @ianrauk gets his to last so much longer; I guess he doesn't do all the gnarly skids I do.
@ianrauk washed his tyres at every red light .... That's how ;-)

Drago

Legendary Member
In over 40 year of riding (or more accurately sitting upon a bicycle usually wobbling violently out of control) I've found no correlation between price and longevity with bike tyres, especially so in this internet retail age.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, if the zafiros are worn out at 500 then the rubinos would last longer.

I wrote a review thread about 2 pairs of rubinos I bought https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/vittoria-rubinos.148176. They lasted a little under 7000km each, with about one puncture each tyre during it's life. Even calculated total cost of tyres is about £0.30/100 km.

Not sure how @ianrauk gets his to last so much longer; I guess he doesn't do all the gnarly skids I do.

Well 7000k is approx 4350 miles. So not a huge amount of mileage between the distances.
Also these miles are mostly leisure miles so more country lanes and clear roads rather then busy traffic roads that accumulate crap.
I also check the tyres before or after every ride to dig out any crap that is stuck to them. And no I certainly don't do any gnarly skids.
I have noticed that since I moved over to 25's, the do last longer then 23's.

Also these miles are mostly leisure miles so more country lanes and clear roads rather then busy traffic roads that accumulate crap.
This helps ^^^.

I also check the tyres before or after every ride to dig out any crap that is stuck to them.
As does this ^^^.

Also, regularly inflate your tyres to the recommended pressure (found on the sidewall of tyre), ideally using a track pump.
(Regularly means before every ride. In the real world, I find it means weekly/fortnightly!)

Citius

Also, regularly inflate your tyres to the recommended pressure (found on the sidewall of tyre), ideally using a track pump.

That's not the 'recommended' pressure. It's the maximum rated safe pressure - not a recommendation that everyone should inflate the tyres to that amount.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
What constitutes "time for a change" or "worn out" to you, though? End of the day it's quite a subjective thing and can even take on things like a gradual shift in your aesthetic tastes.

Rubinos are good but there are several versions so just saying "Rubino" Isnt the full picture. I've run rubino pros in a folding 23 mm and a pro tech version in a folding 25. The ride quality was quite different, the pro techs less comfortable - for me.

I've got zaffiro pros in a 25 on one of my bikes, they're just as nice to ride on as the rubino pros and show no signs of giving up just yet.

Michelin are getting my vote these days though.
time for change depends on how cut up they are and punctures, normally a run of deflations means cut up tyres.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
That's not the 'recommended' pressure. It's the maximum rated safe pressure - not a recommendation that everyone should inflate the tyres to that amount.
but those of us the wrong side of 90kgs can`t run at lower pressures I have to say in my experience. As has been said I run 25s on my road bike now and there is some improvement on longevity.

Lonestar

Veteran
Well 7000k is approx 4350 miles. So not a huge amount of mileage between the distances.
I also check the tyres before or after every ride to dig out any crap that is stuck to them. And no I certainly don't do any gnarly skids.

Yup been using 25's for years and also Switched over the Marathon Pluses a few years back.

Citius

but those of us the wrong side of 90kgs can`t run at lower pressures I have to say in my experience. As has been said I run 25s on my road bike now and there is some improvement on longevity.

I'm not suggesting that people should run at any particular pressure, I'm just saying that the number on the side of the tyre is not a 'recommended pressure', that's all.

Just for data, I run my tyres at the top end of recommended inflation range and have never done a skid deliberately in my life, not getting my first cycle until I was nearly 30.

And this is a tyre ready for replacement :smile:

img_20140920_190459161-jpg.56863.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
well if it's any guide, I replaced a conti gatorskin (damage not wear) after a fair few thousand miles, whilst the other one(front) is still going ok after 12000 miles. The Schwalbe durano replacement must have done 5000 miles. Both types are fairly robust but still grip and roll well and it must be said are fairly expensive tyres .

Usage - city commuting

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I'm not suggesting that people should run at any particular pressure, I'm just saying that the number on the side of the tyre is not a 'recommended pressure', that's all.
not questioning your fact at all in fact it probably is often missed, however I just pump mine up to maybe 5-10 psi of that figure, can get away with it after shifting some timber :tongue:

Davidc

Guru

That makes a huge difference to tyre life. I can't say I do it every ride, but usually weekly at least. It doesn't take long for tiny bits of hard stone to embed themselves and create a cut, and sufficient of them increase the rate the rubber disappears at. Removing the crap stuck on the tyre and in the treads also greatly reduces the number of punctures - get the sharp bits out before they work right through the tyre.

ianrauk's mileage is about what I get from 32s, and isn't much different from what I've had from several makes in sizes from 23 to 38. Beyond about 4000 to 4500 miles the sidewalls usually start to deteriorate, and I won't take the risk of failure.

I've got (bog-stock) Rubinos on my Ribble, as a replacement for the supplied Nitro(?) tyres

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-wire-bead-clincher-tyre/?sku=5360361309

They've been on about since October 2014 (bike bought June 2013) & whilst the front is fine, not even any visible cuts, the rear is starting to 'square off' slightly

I'd guess that, up to press, they've covered about 3,000 miles

That said, the Schwalbe (Blizzard, I think??) that were on one of my previous work/general purpose bikes had definitely seen better days, when they were replaced:angel:
2007. Yellow Bike. 3.JPG
2007. Yellow Bike. 5.JPG

Replaced with a pair of Continentals, that I had in the garage
2007. Yellow Bike. 4.JPG

Top Bottom