Do you race?

Do you race?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I found out at school that the sporty types only wanted me in any kind of race so they could show how much faster than me they were. The 'taking part' b*llsh*t is spin put out by the same people to encourage others with out chance of winning to make them look good.

;)I now await those same types to turn up and tell me I'm wrong.:biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
byegad said:
I now await those same types to turn up and tell me I'm wrong.:biggrin:
You're wrong. :blush:

Where would we be if people didn't learn the value of losing and taking it gracefully? The notion of everyone is a winner is setting kids up for a big reality check in the future.

I was (and still can be) one of those super competitive types, but I was still rubbish at some stuff. Even with my strong events I found that with the margins of defeat being much narrower, a loss made me work harder next time to try to win.

I'd love to do a road race. Never put in consistent serious time and effort when I was younger. I used to do too many hobbies/sports. Jack of all trades. Climbing walls don't help youclimb hills in the saddle. Now three kids has put an end to any ideas of racing at the moment. I'll most likely do a triathlon next year as I can run but not cycle at 11pm in winter and swim at the same time my kids have their lessons.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Will1985 said:
Where would we be if people didn't learn the value of losing and taking it gracefully?

I was (and still can be) one of those super competitive types, but I was still rubbish at some stuff. Even with my strong events I found that with the margins of defeat being much narrower, a loss made me work harder next time to try to win.
I always struggled with the 'gracefully' bit :blush:

I used to be competitive, then found out that not enjoying losing was a bit of a waste of my efforts (I lost most things, it seems :blush:), so I stopped being competitive and now do stuff for enjoyment - but how can going out cycling in the rain, cold etc be enjoyable :blush: ? Easy - it's better than staying in and getting crabby :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Not properly, I'm a tester.

And from September, when I'm done with all that, cyclocross. Although I haven't got around to BC membership yet.

yenrod

6 - Like the idea of...

...as mostly from what I recall they're more measured as more are using the heads rather than headdown-backsideup on the chainy !

If you can last a chaingang (or do 25miles in or under 1hr 30min) then you've no worries for a race !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Used to TT mainly. Nothing for about 10 years (work, kids, life...busy...busy)

Fancy doing the local club 10 at some point to see what's left in the old legs....

montage

God Almighty
I have a BC licence....but I got injured (IT band knee problem) straight after buying it.....

So I guess I count :birthday:

(Attend track training built for racing...so I have a good idea about how it is done)

montage

God Almighty
I might be able to get Cat 3 this year...but next season DEFINATELY going to go balls out to get Cat2.

I hate injuries :wacko:

Bokonon

Über Member
Looks like it is trying to stop raining and just be very windy outside, so I'm off testing in about half an hour...

Headgardener

Armchair Cyclist
No and have no inclination to do so but I do enjoy reading the race reports in Cycling Weekly. Just enjoy pootling along at about ten to fifteen MPH with ocasional spurts at about twenty MPH:smile:.

Top Bottom