1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog attack.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by sittingbull, 2 Aug 2012.

1. Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic Veteran

Thus turning the dog into the worlds most dangerous gonk..."Nah mate it's alright, you can keep the pen."

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  2. That's a typical knee-jerk reaction; wouldn't it be better to exterminate the irresponsible owners ? :smile:

There's no 'need' to have a car that'll do more than 70mph; but people demand them

There's no 'need' in my mind, for my missus to have 20+ pairs of shoes; she assures me that the need is there. :smile: :smile:

By the same token, do I really 'need' to have 6 bikes ?

Mad Doug Biker and Lisa21 like this.
  3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

There are ways I imagine might be useful to get a pitbull off, but non I can think of are particularly useful in this situation and carry other risks.

If you are at home, you could rub something sour in their mouth (risking fingers here I guess) like lime, or stick their head under a COLD tap and scuffing them. Works for ferrets (they also lock their jaw), but might not work for a dog. Scruffing is a funny one, with a ferret, if you scruff them they automatically yawn, never heard or seen the same with a cat or dog.

I'd be inclined to kick and punch the soft bits (torso) rather than the head though if you have too defend with force!

4. Hacienda71

Hacienda71 Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

Might be an urban myth, but I do recall being told, that pulling a dogs front legs apart can do them serious physical harm. Fortunately I have never been in the situation where I would need to test it.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Also heard that one too.

6. Bleurg! I think it tears their heart or something similarly awful, although there's a lot of muscle in some dogs legs!

7. sabian92

sabian92 Über Member

Indeed. If you are in the position to, kick it in the stomach. A friend of mine got attacked (on his paper round but not on a bike), and a dog set on him. Kicked it in the stomach a few times and reported it to the police. The dog died before the police could impound it and put it down anyway so while i'm not suggesting you go around killing dogs, might be an idea if it really did come to you or them sort of thing.

I'm a dog lover and while i'd never, ever deliberately hurt a dog, if it was attacking me with the view of trying to kill me then i'd kick shite out of it until it died if i had to.

8. mattobrien

mattobrien Über Member

I always thought that a trigger released CO2 pump / canister might be quite effective. The only issue with that is that I keep that pump on my MTB, in the saddle bag and not primed with the canister screwed into the pump. Other than that, I can't see any problems with that idea.

Or keep a cat to hand for the dog to chase should the worse happen.

Mad Doug Biker and Octet like this.
  9. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD Veteran

Ram something up their jacksy apparently works - never tried it ( honestly officer!)

Had a bloke ask me once, "what's you're pet hate?"
    "having things rammed up its ar$e" I replied so it must be true

Also dig in and squeeze hard just in front of their pelvis but remember to pull you hand away before they chomp on it.

10. stewie griffin

stewie griffin Well-Known Member

The first thing I do when approaching a dog loose in the road (I'm in Spain, more of em!!) or when I hear one coming down a drive in pursuit is to grab my bidon open it with my teeth as usual & keep it in my hand, as soon as they are close enough a big squeeze aiming at their face does the trick, as yet it hasn't failed to stop em, it seems to shock them & they don't continue.
    The worst part is loosing precious water, better than being bitten though.
    Apparently if you want something specially for dog deterrent a small amount of washing up liquid in the water really stops them, dogs being much more sensitive to smells & taste than we are find that very unpleasant.
    Don't drink the washing up liquid bidon though :cursing:

11. on the road

on the road Über Member

That's assuming the dog has been trained.

GetAGrip likes this.
  12. DRHysted

DRHysted Senior Member

That is probably the best suggestion, one of the training aids we have here (we take in the occasional dog with major problems and re-train them) is a 2 litre coke bottle with a trigger which squirts the contents (water) under pressure. Stops most unwanted behaviour.

Oh QI said to use your finger, a technique I'm yet to use, but with all the dogs we've had in only one has actually summoned the guts to bite me (I've been told I give off an aggressive aura which probably helps my alpha male status).

13. DRHysted

DRHysted Senior Member

Actually if you give the right attitude behind the command the dog doesn't need to be trained.

Swear words tend to have a very good responce, as you can get strong emotions into them.
    It's not what you say but how you say it, I've even had good results from "cabbages" (try it and see how nastily you can say it)!

Mad Doug Biker and Norm like this.
  14. sittingbull

sittingbull Senior Member

Bite Back looks effective on their video. I wonder how well it compares to pepper spray which (according to Wikipedia) is used for defence against dogs and bears. However pepper spray appears to be classed as an offensive weapon in the UK and is illegal.
    This appears to be a recurring theme, somebody somewhere must have tried it :wacko:

15. Crankarm

Crankarm Veteran

You must be a pitt bull owner or have a similarly vicious and agressive dog?