1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog attack.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by sittingbull, 2 Aug 2012.

1. Bleurg! I think it tears their heart or something similarly awful, although there's a lot of muscle in some dogs legs!
  2. sabian92

sabian92 Über Member

Advert
    Indeed. If you are in the position to, kick it in the stomach. A friend of mine got attacked (on his paper round but not on a bike), and a dog set on him. Kicked it in the stomach a few times and reported it to the police. The dog died before the police could impound it and put it down anyway so while i'm not suggesting you go around killing dogs, might be an idea if it really did come to you or them sort of thing.

I'm a dog lover and while i'd never, ever deliberately hurt a dog, if it was attacking me with the view of trying to kill me then i'd kick ****e out of it until it died if i had to.
  3. mattobrien

mattobrien Über Member

I always thought that a trigger released CO2 pump / canister might be quite effective. The only issue with that is that I keep that pump on my MTB, in the saddle bag and not primed with the canister screwed into the pump. Other than that, I can't see any problems with that idea.

Or keep a cat to hand for the dog to chase should the worse happen.
    Mad Doug Biker and Octet like this.
  4. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD Über Member

Ram something up their jacksy apparently works - never tried it ( honestly officer!)

Had a bloke ask me once, "what's you're pet hate?"
    "having things rammed up its ar$e" I replied so it must be true

Also dig in and squeeze hard just in front of their pelvis but remember to pull you hand away before they chomp on it.
  5. stewie griffin

stewie griffin Well-Known Member

The first thing I do when approaching a dog loose in the road (I'm in Spain, more of em!!) or when I hear one coming down a drive in pursuit is to grab my bidon open it with my teeth as usual & keep it in my hand, as soon as they are close enough a big squeeze aiming at their face does the trick, as yet it hasn't failed to stop em, it seems to shock them & they don't continue.
    The worst part is loosing precious water, better than being bitten though.
    Apparently if you want something specially for dog deterrent a small amount of washing up liquid in the water really stops them, dogs being much more sensitive to smells & taste than we are find that very unpleasant.
    Don't drink the washing up liquid bidon though :cursing:
    Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  6. on the road

on the road Über Member

That's assuming the dog has been trained.
    GetAGrip likes this.
  7. DRHysted

DRHysted Senior Member

That is probably the best suggestion, one of the training aids we have here (we take in the occasional dog with major problems and re-train them) is a 2 litre coke bottle with a trigger which squirts the contents (water) under pressure. Stops most unwanted behaviour.

Oh QI said to use your finger, a technique I'm yet to use, but with all the dogs we've had in only one has actually summoned the guts to bite me (I've been told I give off an aggressive aura which probably helps my alpha male status).
  8. DRHysted

DRHysted Senior Member

Actually if you give the right attitude behind the command the dog doesn't need to be trained.

Swear words tend to have a very good responce, as you can get strong emotions into them.
    It's not what you say but how you say it, I've even had good results from "cabbages" (try it and see how nastily you can say it)!
    Mad Doug Biker and Norm like this.
  9. sittingbull

sittingbull Senior Member

Bite Back looks effective on their video. I wonder how well it compares to pepper spray which (according to Wikipedia) is used for defence against dogs and bears. However pepper spray appears to be classed as an offensive weapon in the UK and is illegal.
    This appears to be a recurring theme, somebody somewhere must have tried it :wacko:
    Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  10. Crankarm

Crankarm Veteran

You must be a pitt bull owner or have a similarly vicious and agressive dog?
  11. boybiker

boybiker Über Member

Every good cyclist scared of dogs biting them (like myself!) carry's a few dog treats in their back pockets. Throw a dog treat one way and cycle as fast as you can the other way and you will be fine.
  12. sittingbull

........a bit like deploying chaff then? ;)
    As DRHysted suggests, this, if effective, is probably the most practical option. Not sure it would be effective if the dog was already locked on though.

The bloke who was the hurt by the "pit bull" is a dog lover and doesn't blame the dog. He told me that with a different owner the incident would probably not have happened. The owner is apparently irresponsible (not just as a dog owner).

Someone I was out cycling with yesterday suggested the owner should be taken to Chester Zoo and thrown into the cages with the animals, I'm inclined to agree.
  13. Octet

Octet Senior Member

I saw a 'Cops with Cameras' episode (UK version) where they used a CO2 fire extinguisher to push back a dangerous dog whilst they attempting to conduct a drugs bust.
    It worked really effectively against the dog, so providing you can discharge it then you shouldn't have any problems. Only down fall I can see, is how much you would need to use and if the wind is blowing etc.
  14. sittingbull

Strange you should mention a fire extinguisher. I had been thinking about a small one I used to keep in the car.

It would fit in a bottle cage but there is no way I would consider carrying it around, it's simply too heavy.

Fortunately dog attacks of this severity are (I presume) pretty rare, but it's useful to know what you could do.
  15. Octet

Octet Senior Member

Hmm, what about those air dusters you can get? It would certainly be lighter then a fire extinguisher.
  16. sittingbull

You mean those aerosols for getting the dust out of a keyboard? - I've never tried one so don't know how "powerful" they are. I suspect they would have a very short useful range.
  17. Octet

Octet Senior Member

Not sure how powerful they are, I think you can get bigger ones for more heavy duty stuff... but as you say, distance may be an issue.
  18. Cubist

Cubist Pennine hill dweller and willy-waver

Bite-back is extremely effective, and is harmless to humans. In fact it smells wonderful, a sort of clove and mint smell. We have bite-back issued in our division. Dogs absolutely hate it.

We used to take the halon fire-extinguishers with us when we busted anywhere where we expected a dog. One quick squirt absolutely terrifies them. I remember one particular 'orrible dog that rushed us as we put the door in. It got a quick squirt and ran behind the tv where its dickhead owner spent the rest of the time we were there swearing at it for being "f*cking useless"
    Octet likes this.
  19. DRHysted

DRHysted Senior Member

I think you'll find that the small extinguishers fitted in cars are powder types, which if I remember correctly are a one use item, also I think the powder may cause harm to the dog (ideally it's best if the animal just assosiates a bike with a bad experiance).
    Of all the ideas I think I'd go with water from a bottle, cheap, (normally) effective, something most carry, and reuseable.
  20. Octet

Octet Senior Member

I think you might be right about the car extinguishers, CO2 usually come in 2 KG +, and cost about £70 so not exactly a cheap solution...
    The water bottle idea is good though, not sure whether it would cause them to retreat or aggravate them further?