Dog attack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Vicious dangerous dog breeds such as pitt bulls should be exterminated.

That's a typical knee-jerk reaction; wouldn't it be better to exterminate the irresponsible owners ? :smile:

There is no need to have them. Period.

There's no 'need' to have a car that'll do more than 70mph; but people demand them

There's no 'need' in my mind, for my missus to have 20+ pairs of shoes; she assures me that the need is there. :smile: :smile:

By the same token, do I really 'need' to have 6 bikes ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There are ways I imagine might be useful to get a pitbull off, but non I can think of are particularly useful in this situation and carry other risks.

If you are at home, you could rub something sour in their mouth (risking fingers here I guess) like lime, or stick their head under a COLD tap and scuffing them. Works for ferrets (they also lock their jaw), but might not work for a dog. Scruffing is a funny one, with a ferret, if you scruff them they automatically yawn, never heard or seen the same with a cat or dog.

I'd be inclined to kick and punch the soft bits (torso) rather than the head though if you have too defend with force!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Might be an urban myth, but I do recall being told, that pulling a dogs front legs apart can do them serious physical harm. Fortunately I have never been in the situation where I would need to test it.

sabian92

Über Member
Indeed. If you are in the position to, kick it in the stomach. A friend of mine got attacked (on his paper round but not on a bike), and a dog set on him. Kicked it in the stomach a few times and reported it to the police. The dog died before the police could impound it and put it down anyway so while i'm not suggesting you go around killing dogs, might be an idea if it really did come to you or them sort of thing.

I'm a dog lover and while i'd never, ever deliberately hurt a dog, if it was attacking me with the view of trying to kill me then i'd kick shite out of it until it died if i had to.

mattobrien

Guru
I always thought that a trigger released CO2 pump / canister might be quite effective. The only issue with that is that I keep that pump on my MTB, in the saddle bag and not primed with the canister screwed into the pump. Other than that, I can't see any problems with that idea.

Or keep a cat to hand for the dog to chase should the worse happen.

Ram something up their jacksy apparently works - never tried it ( honestly officer!)

Had a bloke ask me once, "what's you're pet hate?"
"having things rammed up its ar$e" I replied so it must be true

Also dig in and squeeze hard just in front of their pelvis but remember to pull you hand away before they chomp on it.

stewie griffin

Über Member
The first thing I do when approaching a dog loose in the road (I'm in Spain, more of em!!) or when I hear one coming down a drive in pursuit is to grab my bidon open it with my teeth as usual & keep it in my hand, as soon as they are close enough a big squeeze aiming at their face does the trick, as yet it hasn't failed to stop em, it seems to shock them & they don't continue.
The worst part is loosing precious water, better than being bitten though.
Apparently if you want something specially for dog deterrent a small amount of washing up liquid in the water really stops them, dogs being much more sensitive to smells & taste than we are find that very unpleasant.
Don't drink the washing up liquid bidon though :cursing:

on the road

Über Member
Raise the hand, palm forwards, as if making a STOP gesture.

Stand straight and still apart from the hand, which can be raised slightly as you speak.

In an authoritative voice say "Sit!"

I saw this on the television in my youth. It works every time. The dog will be as putty in your hands.

The woman who demonstrated it was the mother of the writer W Somerset Maugham.

If not, then probably.

I hope this has helped.

But I fear it may not have....
That's assuming the dog has been trained.

DRHysted

Guru
The first thing I do when approaching a dog loose in the road (I'm in Spain, more of em!!) or when I hear one coming down a drive in pursuit is to grab my bidon open it with my teeth as usual & keep it in my hand, as soon as they are close enough a big squeeze aiming at their face does the trick, as yet it hasn't failed to stop em, it seems to shock them & they don't continue.
The worst part is loosing precious water, better than being bitten though.
Apparently if you want something specially for dog deterrent a small amount of washing up liquid in the water really stops them, dogs being much more sensitive to smells & taste than we are find that very unpleasant.
Don't drink the washing up liquid bidon though :cursing:

That is probably the best suggestion, one of the training aids we have here (we take in the occasional dog with major problems and re-train them) is a 2 litre coke bottle with a trigger which squirts the contents (water) under pressure. Stops most unwanted behaviour.

Oh QI said to use your finger, a technique I'm yet to use, but with all the dogs we've had in only one has actually summoned the guts to bite me (I've been told I give off an aggressive aura which probably helps my alpha male status).

DRHysted

Guru
That's assuming the dog has been trained.

Actually if you give the right attitude behind the command the dog doesn't need to be trained.

Swear words tend to have a very good responce, as you can get strong emotions into them.
It's not what you say but how you say it, I've even had good results from "cabbages" (try it and see how nastily you can say it)!

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
There are legal sprays - I think the website is www.bite-back.net but too lazy to check! The spray is definitely called Bite Back.
Bite Back looks effective on their video. I wonder how well it compares to pepper spray which (according to Wikipedia) is used for defence against dogs and bears. However pepper spray appears to be classed as an offensive weapon in the UK and is illegal.
According to a QI I watched recently, to release the lock jaws you need to shove something up their anal passage, a pen being the preferred suggestion although may not be practical.
This appears to be a recurring theme, somebody somewhere must have tried it :wacko:

Crankarm

Guru
That's a typical knee-jerk reaction; wouldn't it be better to exterminate the irresponsible owners ? :smile:

There's no 'need' to have a car that'll do more than 70mph; but people demand them

There's no 'need' in my mind, for my missus to have 20+ pairs of shoes; she assures me that the need is there. :smile: :smile:

By the same token, do I really 'need' to have 6 bikes ?

You must be a pitt bull owner or have a similarly vicious and agressive dog?

boybiker

Guru
Every good cyclist scared of dogs biting them (like myself!) carry's a few dog treats in their back pockets. Throw a dog treat one way and cycle as fast as you can the other way and you will be fine.

Top Bottom