Dog attack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
A big white ugly mutt decided to take an interest in me as I walked to work across Jesus Green yesterday (I drove to work). No owners in sight a this point. It was running around the park up to total strangers sizing them up. Then further along into park it spotted me, came bounding over and jumped up at me trying to chew my arm. Oi! I shouted. I tried to put my pannier between me and it but it came around the front of me, jumping up, so I took a long swing, striking it on it's flank. Two people who had been walking about 50 yds in front suddenly turned on me. Next thing the guy about 35-40 is trying to hit me, I try to defend myself but he grabs my pannier out my hand and starts to run with it and the woman is screaming "Run, run!" These people looked middle class types, mid thirties, Cambridge set. Anyway I manage to grab my pannier back. Next thing the bloke is shouting "F*****g scum!" at me and woman is shouting "Get his picture, get his picture!" Bloke then shoves a mobile phone in my face. I tell them to stop taking pics of me but they continue so I try to get my mobile out my pannier to call the police but they try to grab my pannier again. Eventually manage to find my camera so start filming them. Both continue shouting totally false things at me. She is chillingly intimidating, like she could kill some one, they are both still advancing toward me as I am walking backwards trying to get away from them. Bloke has dog lead round his neck not his dog's neck. I tell them to put the dog on a lead which cues more swearing at me that I am going to get a vet's bill. Yeah right, well I will be contacting the police! Nasty nasty people. I hate dogs and their fricking owners. I was just walking to work minding my own business and their out of control mutt decides to chew me. Most cretinous dog owners only have dogs because they sad insecure people. They walk them as far as the first sh1t then head for home.

I had to walk to primary school up a street full of dog owners. They all went to work and let them roam, so at 5/6 years old I'm being followed up the road by packs of 10 of them.
It took having friends with a dog to visit in my thirties before I could be in the same room as the things.
I've never been comfortable around dogs and cannot understand why anyone would want one.
Yes they can be cute and loyal, but apart from eating and crapping there's not much use for them. I'm sorry dog owners, but I'll never feel any different.

Apart from the standard belligerent idiots that can't control them and believe it's your fault for being there I've not had too many incidents that I couldn't outrun.
My favourite was the new mum with a pram, and a doberman running loose that decided I was a threat. Just stupid.
I'm sorry to say if I was attacked by a dog I would kill it without regret.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
.A guy goes for a bike ride and this happens. By the way check out what the dog owner says..

They were right, if he hadn't shouted and yelled like that then they would have lost interest much quicker. What I saw was a bunch of dogs going to investigate what was on their territory (just as you would investigate if someone rang your doorbell), and seeing some big thing yelling at them, NOT a pack of viscous beasts about to eat him. Note also how they *rarely* actually get right up close to him, they stay back and monitor the situation, if they we in attack mode they wouldn't have just stood like that. Even then they approached the guy originally, I saw a few gaps he could easily have cycled through, but no, he stops and starts yelling, therefore Pekeing their interest further. Clever, NOT!

The guy was obviously a complete idiot with no idea of canine behaviour at all. :rolleyes:

It looked terrifying!:ohmy:

NO... IT..... WASN'T.... The guy made it about 10 times worse as I have already mentioned above, my God he even started before he'd even stopped! :rolleyes:

Also, you do realise that they can sense when you are scared and take it as a cue that there is something bad happening or about to happen so they react accordingly? Dogs live very much in the moment, what happened 2 minutes ago won't mean anything much to them (unless they have learned by association or it is instinctive of course).

Oh and the owners didn't really apologise either because 'the looney cyclist' brought it on himself, watch the film again and look where the dogs stand for example, if they were going to attack him then they would have, not stood several feet away watching in curiosity as a bike is pointlessly waved at them.

on the road

Über Member
A big white ugly mutt decided to take an interest in me as I walked to work across Jesus Green yesterday (I drove to work). No owners in sight a this point. It was running around the park up to total strangers sizing them up. Then further along into park it spotted me, came bounding over and jumped up at me trying to chew my arm. Oi! I shouted. I tried to put my pannier between me and it but it came around the front of me, jumping up, so I took a long swing, striking it on it's flank. Two people who had been walking about 50 yds in front suddenly turned on me. Next thing the guy about 35-40 is trying to hit me, I try to defend myself but he grabs my pannier out my hand and starts to run with it and the woman is screaming "Run, run!" These people looked middle class types, mid thirties, Cambridge set. Anyway I manage to grab my pannier back. Next thing the bloke is shouting "F*****g scum!" at me and woman is shouting "Get his picture, get his picture!" Bloke then shoves a mobile phone in my face. I tell them to stop taking pics of me but they continue so I try to get my mobile out my pannier to call the police but they try to grab my pannier again. Eventually manage to find my camera so start filming them. Both continue shouting totally false things at me. She is chillingly intimidating, like she could kill some one, they are both still advancing toward me as I am walking backwards trying to get away from them. Bloke has dog lead round his neck not his dog's neck. I tell them to put the dog on a lead which cues more swearing at me that I am going to get a vet's bill. Yeah right, well I will be contacting the police! Nasty nasty people. I hate dogs and their fricking owners. I was just walking to work minding my own business and their out of control mutt decides to chew me. Most cretinous dog owners only have dogs because they sad insecure people. They walk them as far as the first sh1t then head for home.
You couldn't have overeacted by any chance, like the guy in the video?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Somebody told me that certain powerful dogs (including Pit Bull types) have a kind of ratchet mechanism in their jaws which locks the jaws shut unless they decide to unlock them! You would think that having your eyes gouged would put you off, but it would not surprise me if a Pit Bull would 'bite to the death'!

Many years ago, before the Pit Bull ban came in, I saw a pair of them chained up outside Spar in Hebden Bridge. At the time, I did not know what breed they were, but they looked so intimidating that I chose to step off the pavement and walk past them on the road. As I drew alongside them, one of the dogs snarled. I looked at him and saw that he had something in his mouth. He bit down hard and blood started to drip out of his gums. There was a sudden loud cracking noise as he finally bit through what turned out to be half a house brick! I thought then that I wouldn't like one of those dogs to take a dislike to me!

My parents.... well its the family dog actually have a 3 legged Staffie, the most sweetest thing possible (she's a Pedigree... or was until she had the car accident before we got her, so has most of the best traits), but they see it as some sort of duty to rescue Staffies as they have such a bad name.

Most of them are nice and friendly, but because some aren't, either down to bad ownership or the occasional mad dog, and also the fact that they happen to look like pit bills, they have such a bad press.

I personally would like something like a Greyhound or some other kind of hound next, because people actually judge you when you have a Staffie, you can see it in their faces, their little beady eyes that are too close together watching you, wondering how many convictions you quite obviously must have etc etc.

Luckily the 3 legs is a perfect foil, nobody expects THAT! :laugh:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm sure only English Putbull's "lock on" as they have a mechanism in their jaw, other dogs are just too strong to make let go. The best way to deal with it if it's clamped onto your leg is to grab it's collar (if it is wearing one) and twist it as hard as you can, basically choking the dog and it will automatically release, and then you just try your hardest to keep hold of it til the owner or someone passing by can stop and help.

if you are able to get it, get your pump under the collar as a lever to help twist it. thick collars and chain ones can be too solid or very uncomfortable on the hands. If its a choke chain (nasty things) its easier to choke them with it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They were right, if he hadn't shouted and yelled like that then they would have lost interest much quicker. What I saw was a bunch of dogs going to investigate what was on their territory (just as you would investigate if someone rang your doorbell), and seeing some big thing yelling at them, NOT a pack of viscous beasts about to eat him. Note also how they *rarely* actually get right up close to him, they stay back and monitor the situation, if they we in attack mode they wouldn't have just stood like that. Even then they approached the guy originally, I saw a few gaps he could easily have cycled through, but no, he stops and starts yelling, therefore Pekeing their interest further. Clever, NOT!

The guy was obviously a complete idiot with no idea of canine behaviour at all. :rolleyes:

NO... IT..... WASN'T.... The guy made it about 10 times worse as I have already mentioned above, my God he even started before he'd even stopped! :rolleyes:

Also, you do realise that they can sense when you are scared and take it as a cue that there is something bad happening or about to happen so they react accordingly? Dogs live very much in the moment, what happened 2 minutes ago won't mean anything much to them (unless they have learned by association or it is instinctive of course).

Oh and the owners didn't really apologise either because 'the looney cyclist' brought it on himself, watch the film again and look where the dogs stand for example, if they were going to attack him then they would have, not stood several feet away watching in curiosity as a bike is pointlessly waved at them.

I can't believe I'm the only person so far who sees that!

You obviously know about canine behaviour but perhaps the bloke in the video doesn't know about canine behaviour. It's ok saying you should stand still,not make a noise, don't look them in the eye etc but in the heat of the moment that can sometimes be forgotten! I had to take a detour tonight on my way home as some lowlifes had one of these "status dogs" in the middle of a quiet but main road running all over the place. For a second i did think about riding past them and if it came at me what i'd do to pacify the horrible thing, but it was only a seconds thought, i swiftly decided to turn right and avoid the thing. I've had dogs for years and i'm a dog/all animals lover but as a cyclist i see dogs as a threat!:dry:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My parents.... well its the family dog actually have a 3 legged Staffie, the most sweetest thing possible (she's a Pedigree... or was until she had the car accident before we got her, so has most of the best traits), but they see it as some sort of duty to rescue Staffies as they have such a bad name.

Most of them are nice and friendly, but because some aren't, either down to bad ownership or the occasional mad dog, and also the fact that they happen to look like pit bills, they have such a bad press.

I personally would like something like a Greyhound or some other kind of hound next, because people actually judge you when you have a Staffie, you can see it in their faces, their little beady eyes that are too close together watching you, wondering how many convictions you quite obviously must have etc etc.

Luckily the 3 legs is a perfect foil, nobody expects THAT! :laugh:

I've got 3 greyhounds and do get nicer treatment from other owners and passers by than when I'm walking my sons Staffie (soft as owt and daft as a brush) I've also got visible tattoos when wearing shorts or shorter than normal sleeved t-shirts - I'm obviously a wrong un.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
You obviously know about canine behaviour but perhaps the bloke in the video doesn't know about canine behaviour. It's ok saying you should stand still,not make a noise, don't look them in the eye etc but in the heat of the moment that can sometimes be forgotten!

He said he had worked with dogs in the past though, so if true, surely must have had some sort of idea, or at least clicked when the owners were talking to him? Maybe I'm just more instinctive about these things (or possibly more naive), but I'd find it VERY difficult to forget info like that. Admittedly, we have had had dogs for 11 years now, so I've had a while to practice right from scratch and have got to know the canine condition just a bit. I'm still learning though.

I had to take a detour tonight on my way home as some lowlifes had one of these "status dogs" in the middle of a quiet but main road running all over the place. For a second i did think about riding past them and if it came at me what i'd do to pacify the horrible thing, but it was only a seconds thought, i swiftly decided to turn right and avoid the thing. I've had dogs for years and i'm a dog/all animals lover but as a cyclist i see dogs as a threat!:dry:

Well you are taking a certain risk every time you cycle past any dog, I agree, but as for the 'lowlife' bit, as I've said, I do feel people judge me because I happen to have a Staffie in tow. I rarely let her off the lead these days, but still, you see them watchin' you, and it isn't paranoia either! Most people are great, but you also get the few who just think you can't be up to any good.
We even have a neighbour who doesn't like coming to our door because of the dog. The reality is that Cindy would probably just lick her and ask for strokes/cuddles. :laugh:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You obviously know about canine behaviour but perhaps the bloke in the video doesn't know about canine behaviour. It's ok saying you should stand still,not make a noise, don't look them in the eye etc but in the heat of the moment that can sometimes be forgotten! I had to take a detour tonight on my way home as some lowlifes had one of these "status dogs" in the middle of a quiet but main road running all over the place. For a second i did think about riding past them and if it came at me what i'd do to pacify the horrible thing, but it was only a seconds thought, i swiftly decided to turn right and avoid the thing.
**I've had dogs for years and i'm a dog/all animals lover**
but as a cyclist i see dogs as a threat!:dry:

you'd be great on jury service with an openminded attitude like that.

**do you find yourself saying 'I'm not racist but' and claiming to have lots of black friends as well?**

more so than cars?

D

Deleted member 20519

According to a QI I watched recently, to release the lock jaws you need to shove something up their anal passage, a pen being the preferred suggestion although may not be practical.

How about a d-lock?

I've got 3 greyhounds and do get nicer treatment from other owners and passers by than when I'm walking my sons Staffie (soft as owt and daft as a brush) I've also got visible tattoos when wearing shorts or shorter than normal sleeved t-shirts - I'm obviously a wrong un.

I've got a Staffy and a Springer. Recently, the Staffy got an infected paw and wasn't allowed to be walked for a few days. I noticed a distinct rise in the number of people who left their dogs off lead when I approached with just the Springer!

Crankarm

Guru
That's a typical knee-jerk reaction; wouldn't it be better to exterminate the irresponsible owners ? :smile:

There's no 'need' to have a car that'll do more than 70mph; but people demand them

There's no 'need' in my mind, for my missus to have 20+ pairs of shoes; she assures me that the need is there. :smile: :smile:

By the same token, do I really 'need' to have 6 bikes ?

Idiot.

Top Bottom