dog bite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
davy

davy

Yep. I've had "the dog is scared of bicycle helmets" from the neighbour with the uncontrolled untrained aggressive golden Labradors.

Struth !!!...... that really is pushing it.......Labradors was not a breed I would associate with aggressive behaviour ...thanks for the heads up

OP
OP
davy

davy

thanks for searching for them ,,,gave a a good chuckle they did LoL

OP
OP
davy

davy

Davy,

I am a qualified police cycle skills trainer, and one of the techniques on the curriculum is...

...using your bicycle to "fend-off" animals.

You did exactly the right thing, and exactly what MIAS and IPMBA, the two main UK EMS cycle training organisations, teach officers to do.

The bottom line is being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control in a public place causing injury or fear of injury is a recordable crime. That the dog may be sweetness and light when the officer visits is irrelevant. That you tried to defend yourself is irrelevant. The offence is complete and victim blaming is unacceptable.

It's completely your call but I'd raise a complaint with dibble on the basis that the officer is making comments about matters in which he is not only wrong but in which they appear to have zero qualifications, and making irrelevant comments about the nature or the dogs character some days after the crime had already occurred.

Best of luck.

Drago....thank you so much for your informed reply.......I will keep that info and hold it ,printed out in readiness ...most useful .cheers

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agree the copper was spectacularly dense, even for a member of a profession not known for its high intellect.

But at least he made a decent response to the incident itself, and in fairly short order.

Kudos to the OP for motivating the police to do something, which is often the hardest part of reporting a crime.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@davy just read this through, hope you heal well & enjoy your rides in future. Useless dog owner & feeble/wrong police attitude!

I've not had any direct experiences yet but learning from others on here is always good. Hope to see more from you in future (hopefully nicer times).

OP
OP
davy

davy

thanks all ..once again.......a photo update 4 days after the event ...taken today.

just back from Halfords with a basic bike pump......silly how I have relied all these years on a wee double shot one !!!!!!

Attachments

• bite 4 days.jpg
    bite 4 days.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 4

Slick

Guru
I'm actually quite surprised and a bit disappointed just how many people are willing to stick the boot in to an animal.

I suppose the above will give the K9 SAS another chance to regurgitate the devil dog scenario and the right to defend yourself, which is obviously true, but lifting your feet to an animal is not the answer.

OP
OP
davy

davy

@davy just read this through, hope you heal well & enjoy your rides in future. Useless dog owner & feeble/wrong police attitude!

I've not had any direct experiences yet but learning from others on here is always good. Hope to see more from you in future (hopefully nicer times).

let us hope you never do ....thanks for your good wishes

Ajax Bay

Guru
a bit disappointed just how many people are willing to stick the boot in to an animal . . . . lifting your feet to an animal is not the answer.
Absolutely. Waste of time, dogs have better reactions than humans and a close leg is a target, not a threat from the dog's PoV, and likely to both fail and aggravate.
In this situation, attack is not the best form of defence, and also leaves one open to accusations, however unreasonable, of aggression oneself by the dog's owner and onlookers, if any.
[Dog owner/exerciser/cuddler for 30+ years]

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

My experience with dogs out of control, and more importantly the Police lack of response wasn't good either. Basically, the owners were 'nice people' and the dog (in the Police Officer's opinion) was friendly. My opinion that the dog was a danger to someone riding a bike was dismissed, and the officer said if I went to the owner's house they'd give me a cup of tea and I could meet the dog. I think my reluctance to do that was looked upon as 'not co-operating' by the Officer. He was clearly not interested in taking any action, repeatedly stating the owners were nice people. It's a long story, so I won't go into more detail, but on the third occasion it went for me it was a mile from its home, and had passed a farm to get there. I pointed this out to the officer, and said that maybe I'd have a word with the farmer, because if it worried his animals he could shoot it! I've not seen the dog since (I hope it hasn't been shot), but maybe the message got home to the owners. It shouldn't be necessary for the victims to 'dig their heals in' or become 'very assertive' for the Police to do something, but alas it appears they don't want to apply the law when it suits them (easier than doing the paperwork?)
I wish you a quick recovery, and would just add that I think you did the correct thing...... you were not at fault IMHO.
ETA After chase 2 and before chase 3 I heard from a villager that the dogs (lots at the address) aren't chipped. When I explained to the Officer about chase 3 being a mile from the dog's home, I asked 'is this why dogs are chipped? in case they go a long distance' He seemed very defensive, and i wonder if he knows they aren't chipped.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
They then said I was wrong to have tried to put the bike between me and the dog as this probably aggravated the animal even further and probably lead to to my injuries !!!!!!!!!! I should have remained still and calm and the dog would have calmed down .

That is like saying if there is an active shooter you should not look for cover because that just makes them more aggressive.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I'm actually quite surprised and a bit disappointed just how many people are willing to stick the boot in to an animal.

I suppose the above will give the K9 SAS another chance to regurgitate the devil dog scenario and the right to defend yourself, which is obviously true, but lifting your feet to an animal is not the answer.

You are the only poster to mention "sticking the boot into an animal". The OP would not have been exercising the right to defend himself unless he was being attacked, which seems to have been unprovoked and sudden enough that he couldn't get his bike in between himself and his attacker in time. Was the dog injured? Apparently not. Was the OP injured? Manifestly, yes, and fortunate not to have further injuries.

Most of the other posts have been fairly balanced and certainly haven't sought to demonise dogs. I have had run ins with dogs over the years, but most of my experiences have been positive. As a last resort I would certainly use whatever objects I had to hand to defend myself if I had to.

To their owners they may be their loyal, affectionate fur baby companions, they're "just playing" even when they bark and chase you, "they don't mean it" when they snarl and bare their teeth at you, but for people on the receiving end of the activities of a poorly trained dog, it's no joke. Many people have a fear of dogs, maybe from a childhood experience of being bitten, or a more recent experience. The old saying, "every dog is allowed one bite" is all very well, until you're the one it bites. In the grand scheme of things, actual dog bites are rare, but the fear of it happening affects many people, and one occurrence spreads like ripples on a pond to affect others who hear about it.

Going on about "K9 SAS" and "regurgitating the devil dog scenario" is not helpful. It might work for tabloid newspapers who like to demonise
social groups, but I hope we're better than that here. Either your dog is properly trained and under control, or it's not, and the penalties for that should be more stringently applied.

I suppose that there will now be a torrent of posts from dog owners stating how well controlled their dogs are. My dog never does this, that, or the other etc, and no doubt they are right. Nobody is going to post about what a rotten, uncaring dog owner they are, and what an unruly slavering monster their particular mutt is.

It just seems rather self indulgent to be a dog owner and enjoy the benefits of pet ownership, then expect the rest of the population to have to put up with the downsides if you don't put in the effort to train it and keep it under control.

Top Bottom