Dog training...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Well I am about to start bike training my dog.
It will be off road as I tend to trike on tarmac so does anyone else do mountain biking with their dog?.
The trails here are fine so I'm hoping to not need a lead as he's normally an off lead dog. I'm going to try in the garden first and see if he will stay by but as I don't treat train any tips?

ACF

Veteran
I taken my hyper lab out when I've been riding my bike. Generally she was great, ( expect when came across some sheep unexpectantly, and had to go on her lead). Taken her around some local woods with single track and she was great, If I was too slow she would run in front, too fast or when she was getting tired, she would run behind. Only occasionally did she almost get under my front wheel, but was probably as she didn't know which way we were going to go. I would suggest a wide straight pathway at first, so your dog can be aware of your bike and avoid the tyres, before venturing on to single track. It would also help if your dog knew the route that you were taken and have a chance to run ahead.

Stop regularly to give your dog a breather and take some water for your dog to drink.

OP
OP
Roseland triker

Roseland triker

Hmmm yes I did consider going through regular walked trails and I do carry a water for him .

I just wondered if anyone used a lead while riding.? I think I could do it with the trike but he doesn't really do tarmac being a woodland type creature.

Maybe an extender lead? He's pretty good normally but any ideas on a quick grab technique?

Hmmm yes I did consider going through regular walked trails and I do carry a water for him .

I just wondered if anyone used a lead while riding.? I think I could do it with the trike but he doesn't really do tarmac being a woodland type creature.

Maybe an extender lead? He's pretty good normally but any ideas on a quick grab technique?
In Germany I had a thingamibob like an arm which attached to my bike, was damped and had a spring loaded elasticated thing on which you could clip a lead of suitable length and type and it kept the dog in the 'right place' for safe cycling with it alongside. It was kept away from the pedals and spokes and followed in the safest place for it. Then when you got to somewhere which was safe, you could unclip it and let it wander around, follow you etc. Then passing through fields with stock, or lots of people or other dogs, clip it on again, and so on.
Best thing ever!
You always have both hands on the handlebars, it has a couple of safety release mechanisms and is adjustable for different sizes of dog. I used it for a few different dogs which I used to look after on a regular basis when I lived in Germany, and as long as they were good at walking on the lead and not scared of wheels, they adapted easily to it.
Don't have dogs currently so have never looked for one here in the UK, but I think I've seen them, or something very similar, on Dutch and German sites.
It wasn't cheap - about £50, 20-odd years ago - but it was excellent.

Mark pallister

Buy a terrier they will chase anything
my border is well trained,but just chases the bike naturally and absolutely loves it

OP
OP
Roseland triker

Roseland triker

Buy a terrier they will chase anything
my border is well trained,but just chases the bike naturally and absolutely loves it
That makes sense but no thanks.

Top Bottom