Don't microwave your beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Uncle Mort said:
Does it expand when it freezes and break the bottle or something?

Yup! Rose Tuna, anyone?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Don't try defrosting a frozen chilli pepper in the microwave. They explode after 2 secs and you then get the whole 'flat filled with CS Gas' experience to enjoy.

Had to go outside for an hour (coughing & spluttering with streaming eyes) and leave the windows open to clear the fumes.... :ohmy:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
One night many moons ago I fell through the door completely tatered, but hungry. I decided on the kebab that I half ate earlier, but I wanted it warm.

Cue much fireworks and, upon reopening, fire. Accompanied by mirth. I'd left the thing in its foil.

Still scoffed it though.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm not sure our microwave has ever been used for anything other than heating up baked beans - dunno why we've got the bloody thing?!

Must try some of the suggestions here - sounds like fun!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
goo_mason said:
Don't try defrosting a frozen chilli pepper in the microwave. They explode after 2 secs and you then get the whole 'flat filled with CS Gas' experience to enjoy.

Had to go outside for an hour (coughing & spluttering with streaming eyes) and leave the windows open to clear the fumes.... :ohmy:

Best post I've read in a long time!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
When you buy one of those tinned puddings, you'll notice it says in big letters on the tin

NEVER LET THE PAN BOIL DRY

This is good advice. Years ago, Mrs Uncle Phil and I put one of these on to boil... and forgot about it.

After about an hour, we remembered. Just as I was on my way to the kitchen to check up on it, there was an almighty bang.

The saucepan was a funny shape, the gas stove ring was bent, and we were scraping chocolate pudding off the walls and ceiling (of the rented flat) for quite some time.

I shudder to think what might have happened if I'd made it to the kitchen before the explosion.

Trust me: don't let the pan boil dry.

(In fact, it's probably better (and much quicker) to remove the pudding from the tin and put it in the microwave. If you have one).

louise

My friend did this and several years later they still haven't found the lid:wacko:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I had a college housemate who once put potatoes onto boil, then went out for the day. (He was just that kind of bloke. I don't know where he is now, but I confidently expect to learn that he's died in fire or some other result of his own negligence).

We had to chip the molten aluminium off the stove to get it working again (fortunately, that one was electric). There was no sign of the plastic handle, or of the potatoes themselves.

U

User482

Uncle Mort said:
Does it expand when it freezes and break the bottle or something?

The one time I did that, the frozen wine pushed the cork straight out of the bottle, which didn't break. I guess I got lucky!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Two years running, my Mum majored in melting the leftover Xmas pudding.

Xmas day, we steamed the pudding in its plastic pot, in a pan. Ate half, saved the rest for Boxing Day. Boxing Day, put it on to steam again, but as by then we'd all relaxed from the frenzy of Xmas Day, it got forgotten. Twice we had to throw away a pan, with a plastic pot welded into it.

She also once had a steamed pudding explode in the microwave - that was a mystery, she'd done them hundreds of times before, perfectly ok. The pudding was nicely cooked, but all over the inside of the microwave. So she just served it a bit jumbled up, with custard.

My great auntie vera once managed (with a struggle) to get the lid off her pressure cooker before the pressure had dropped properly. She was making pea soup. Cue one pea soup explosion. I know people could have been seriously hurt but I chuckle every time I think of the story.

Top Bottom