Don't Times Change ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wow, things change don't they.

Just decided to review my BT contract. Checked 'landline' usage and we've not made a single call in over 6 months - we've received the odd one from the Doctors etc. So, renewed the contract, getting the hybrid connect device (switches to mobile network if the broadband goes down) and gone pay as you go on landline. Saved £10 a month.

Only kept the line for the number and as an alternative contact. No wonder the handset's keep going flat, we don't use them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Got rid of my landline last year, bonus no more silent calls and saved a bunch of money moving to Community Fibre. My parents are quite happy now to call my mobile (they have the calls included in their landline contract as they only very rarely use the mobile they pay for)

Drago

Legendary Member
Funny you mention this...

We have the whole caboodle through BT, phone (never used), interweb and TV (Sky package with movies and stuff). I'm not sure how it works but the landline itself costs nowt, only any calls made...which is none as I don't have a phone to plug into it.

Periodically I sit down and review finances, an unfortunate habit ingrained thanks to me Mum. I noticed the BT bill had shot up to £103 a month. Not having that.

I armed myself with prices from a few competitors and rang up BT to cancel. "Oh no, please don't leave us Mr Farquhar, I'm sure we can do something."

And they did. By doing nothing more than committing to another two year contract the bill dropped to £63 a month, a big difference. I could have got the whole package slightly cheaper elsewhere but not enough to make the hassle worthwhile, somI satisfied myself with a 40 quid monthly saving.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I can't remember the last time I had or used a landline. We've always had a line put in when you get broadband fitted but never connected a phone.
Virgin are now getting rid of landlines and swapping us over to VOIP.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Our landline just sits there all year, costing money. With Talktalk. What to do.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We're VOIP, but seemed pointless paying £9 a month for nothing. Still keeping the line, but it's just £2 now.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Erm we've got / kept the 'Landline' via broadband (free or virtually) when we switched to BT last year - it rang last night and everybody looking at each other as we weren't sure what the noise was...

All uphill

Still rolling along
Our broadband plus phone line is under £20 a month. Mobiles £5 a month each.

Seems like good value comparing with pre VOIP days when a single call to family in NL or Ireland could cost £20.

D

Deleted member 1258

We've still got the landline but theres not been a phone attached to it for years, we only keep it for the broadband.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We pay for broadband but I'm not sure if a landline is included. I think the router has an RJ11 socket on it, but it doesn't have a phone plugged in and as I say I have not idea if there's even a phone number. I certainly don't know the number

Top Bottom