Drinking and cycling. Is there a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[QUOTE 3360389, member: 9609"]Germany have different limits between motor vehicles and bicycles. [/QUOTE]
WHereas in Finland (according to this), drunk cycling exists in a strange kind of quantum state of being both illegal and permitted at the same time.

Andy Roadie

Same in this country. If you can ride in control you're legal. You don't have to give any breath sample to a Police Officer or comply with any tests.

[QUOTE 3360389, member: 9609"]Germany have different limits between motor vehicles and bicycles. (legislation in Germany is tied up to 'transport' and not 'mechanically propelled') 0.5mg/litre for cars and 0.1/mg/litre for bicycles.[/QUOTE]

Cyclists have a permitted alcohol level 20% of drivers according to those figures.

The Road Traffic Act 1988
section 30.
Cycling when under influence of drink or drugs
(1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through
drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be
incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

U

User169

This gives me an idea - a drinking/cycling sport. Theres already cyclocross as a crossover so...
A cyclocross race in which you have to have a beer on every lap, could even be considered as a handicap race. Bigger guys with a liking for ale and probably a higher tolerance for alcohol against the weight weenies, faster at first but affected by the beer more as race wears on.

Dunno if it's really a goer, but I fully intend to start training for it.

Already been done. At least I've seen races where you can ride through the "shot tent" which does what it says on the tin. If you want to avoid the shot tent you have to ride a longer circuit.

Here's one with a tequila shot short-cut..

http://cxczar.blogspot.nl/2013/11/detroit-invitational-cyclocross-rules.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Already been done. At least I've seen races where you can ride through the "shot tent" which does what it says on the tin. If you want to avoid the shot tent you have to ride a longer circuit.

Here's one with a tequila shot short-cut..

http://cxczar.blogspot.nl/2013/11/detroit-invitational-cyclocross-rules.html
That is totally brilliant.
As the promoter I retain the right to reject entry for any bicycle that I deem too much of a piece of shoot to race in my race. All recumbants are automatically disqualified on that principle.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
S12 of the Licencing Act 1872 is still in force, despite what you may mistakenly believe

But with respect to being drunk and riding a bike, the RTA 1988 makes specific reference to "Cycling when under influence of drink or drugs." So I don't think we need to interpret the older act, and figure out that "carriage" may be taken to mean "bicycle" when there's a specific, recent offence.

Not that it makes much difference to the question whether it's an offence or not. So good they legistlated against it twice!

spen666

Legendary Member
I think you have misunderstood that provision, look carefully at the SOCPA Act, Schedule 17 part 2 which deals with what is repealed. S12 is still in force.
But with respect to being drunk and riding a bike, the RTA 1988 makes specific reference to "Cycling when under influence of drink or drugs." So I don't think we need to interpret the older act, and figure out that "carriage" may be taken to mean "bicycle" when there's a specific, recent offence.

Not that it makes much difference to the question whether it's an offence or not. So good they legistlated against it twice!
The offences are subtly different in what they cover. The fact there i also a 1988 offence reinforces the original point I made that there was legislation outlawing drunk cycling

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The offences are subtly different in what they cover. The fact there i also a 1988 offence reinforces the original point I made that there was legislation outlawing drunk cycling
Fair enough. I note the older one also addresses"drunk in charge of a 7 old"

spen666

Legendary Member
Fair enough. I note the older one also addresses"drunk in charge of a 7 old"
A very common offence! Well it was when my kid was 7 years old

Top Bottom