Is there anyone cycled from Santander to Lagos?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denzil

Hi,
I'm planning to cycle, unsupported, from Santander to Lagos (where my daughter lives) in late September. And I'm looking for any insights from anyone who has done something similar.
Two years ago I completed LEJOG, so I am familiar with multi-day events. And in 2018 I completed an 'Everesting' challenge in the peak district, so I'm used to hills, but this is a new kind of challenge, being unsupported. So:
1. Has anyone done something similar and can make any route suggestions. Places to avoid; places to see; roads to avoid; roads to take.
2. I've tried to look for classification of roads but guidance seems to vary. Is it okay to ride on 'N' roads, or should I avoid and aim for other classification.
3. Is accommodation relatively easy to book, and are there some venues more friendly/equipped for cyclists.
4. I will use my phone GPS/Strava/Bikemap but are there any other apps that I should lean towards.
I'm sure there are other questions I should be asking, so feel free to chuck in any counsel.
Many thanks. Denzil

MikeG

Guru
I presume you mean Lagos in Portugal, do you? There are more than one places of that name in Spain, and of course, one in Nigeria. If you do mean the Portuguese one, then I suggest you don't even contemplate the direct route across the centre of Spain, and that you roughly follow the coast and go via Santiago de Compostella. Northern Spain is gorgeous, but the plains in the centre are some of the most barren and lonely places in Europe.

Accomodation in Northern Spain is easy because of the Camino. Some of the hostels are incredibly cheap, but somewhat basic (take your own toilet roll!). You will need some Spanish, although if you get stuck you'll probably be able to find some schoolkids who speak a bit of English.

Oh, and don't be a wuss! Cycle down through France. Starting in Santander is cheating! :smile:

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Denzil

Denzil

I presume you mean Lagos in Portugal, do you? There are more than one places of that name in Spain, and of course, one in Nigeria. If you do mean the Portuguese one, then I suggest you don't even contemplate the direct route across the centre of Spain, and that you roughly follow the coast and go via Santiago de Compostella. Northern Spain is gorgeous, but the plains in the centre are some of the most barren and lonely places in Europe.

Accomodation in Northern Spain is easy because of the Camino. Some of the hostels are incredibly cheap, but somewhat basic (take your own toilet roll!). You will need some Spanish, although if you get stuck you'll probably be able to find some schoolkids who speak a bit of English.

Oh, and don't be a wuss! Cycle down through France. Starting in Santander is cheating! :smile:

Thanks Mike. Unfortunately I'm limited by time so I might have to be a little more direct. Maybe another time. All suggestions appreciated.

Top Bottom