When there is no café stop...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
If I were to be ultra critical, your fruit dropped a little bit.

That always happens to a degree, but the effect can be mitigated if you dust the fruit with flour before folding it into the wet mixture.

I thought the same actually. If I had used darker sugar and malt extract instead of Horlicks then it would not have been so obvious! 😀

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

If I were to be ultra critical, your fruit dropped a little bit.

That always happens to a degree, but the effect can be mitigated if you dust the fruit with flour before folding it into the wet mixture.

20230529_163101.jpg

Second effort. Coated the fruit in flour this time. Worked well. Going to have to put up with pale colour as have lots of Horlicks to use up 😀

View attachment 692221
Today's savoury snack = cheese and pickle (thin) bagel. 😊
Tip: mix grated cheese and pickle together to make a paste so you don't lose any cheese (if you prefer grated to sliced cheese)

And yes, it probably wasn't very safe to take this picture.

A cheese and chutney sandwich is my go-to when doing a packup.

Bagel thins are nice, but spendy. I tend to buy them on yellow sticker. Likewise the sandwich thin things.

frazzled

For a long ride I like to take a pasta salad. Usually tuna, conchiglie (shells), mayonaisse, sweetcorn and a little tabasco to pep it up a bit.

Good mix of protein and carbs.

Also fond of fig rolls and fruit pastilles, as already mentioned on the thread.

DogmaStu

I'm one of those few cyclists who doesn't like a cafe stop.

My training partner of the last 4 years is the same, so that works well. He makes his own food, mostly rice cakes. I prefer gels but for longer rides, I might take one banana as well. I can't stop and have a more substantial meal, cake or anything like that, I need to just keep going.

The last long solo ride I did was 225km with 2000m and I took 6 gels, no stop, circa 27km/h so a steady cruise, no big efforts.

GCN have a cyclists cook book that I purchased for my friend, he says it is very good.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Didn't plan to stop on my ride today so did a couple more things:
1. A baked spaghetti frittata
20230603_184333.jpg

2. Did some rolled sandwiches as well to try the peanut butter and marmite combo suggested by @Dogtrousers . Think I should have spread the termite first
A.pictorial guide to "rolled sandwiches" (remove crust first):
20230604_153405.jpg

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Went for a long solo ride yesterday after camping in my friend's field. Stopped for water and also to supplement my picnic and managed to carry (top tube bag and handlebar bag) and consume:
- 2.5 litres of carby drinks
- 3 chocolate filled crepes
- 3 bananas
- peanut butter and jam sandwich (thins)
- Nutella sandwich
Picnic:
- 3 x Ham, cheese+pickle sandwiches (thins)
- packet of giant hula hoops and a can of coke (thank you co-op)
No cafe stop :hungry:

Top Bottom