Driver convicted of fatal dooring of cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A quote "Fining Connelly, sheriff Celia Sanderson said the incident was “tragic” and she noted her “surprise” at the charge Connelly faced. She pointed out he had not been charged with causing Mr Thomson’s death."

Was she surprised that he cabbie was in court at all or that the charge was not causing Mr Thompson's death?

D

Deleted member 26715

Was she surprised that he cabbie was in court at all or that the charge was not causing Mr Thompson's death?
i looked into my crystal ball & the answer is Yes!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I thought the charge was odd. If no other alternative charges are submitted the jury cannot find them guilty of them. On the face of it I cannot see how it could be manslaughter. I dont think it is the jurys fault but the fault of the CPS.

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone can appeal to the DPP if they feel the sentence was unduly lenient.

Pete Owens

Tell the kids http://www.dutchreach.org/ (reverse hands for UK)
Tell the kids not to ride in the door-zone.

The Dutch reach simply doesn't work!

If you own a car try it. If you reach over for the door handle what you get is a good view of the door pillar. To see approaching cyclists behind and close to the side of the car you really need to use the mirror - and that should be adjusted to give the best view from the normal driving position. Even if you press your face aganst the window you simply cannot see the space door-zone cyclist will be approaching from

You can see this in the video (at about 1:07). First we see the driver turn and you can see him staring at the door pillar. Then we see the driver's eye view - initially a view of the door pillar plus a view straight out sideways. Then magically the cyclist comes into view at 1:08 - but only because the camera has been pushed out through the open window. Look at where the driver holds the door to shut it!

Indeed the fact that the video maker had to open the window (which of course nobody does when leaving a car) in order to make the technique appear to work shows that the video is fundamentally dishonest.

Top Bottom