Driver refused to give details to my father

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This isnt cycling related as my Father was driving home from Dorset (with my Mother, Bro and family friend also in the car). He was waiting behind another car in traffic and has a habit of watching his rear view when traffic isnt moving.

Sure enough he see's a car approaching and warns everyone that he didnt think the car was going to stop in time... Bang! Right up his rear end, not a big collision by any means, and he'd seen the woman driver appeared to be looking down when it happened (perhaps texting).

So he said he got out and approached the driver who then refused to open the door and hand over her details protesting that his car (company car, but he still pays the insurance) was ok. He asked again, saying he's not a mechanic so how would he know and she got snotty saw a gap and drove off. :wub:

He's now got to go down the copshop and file a complaint. He has 3 witnesses of what happened atleast, though has now found the boot wont shut properly. :wacko:

dodgy

Almost certainly uninsured driver, you've done all you can I think.

I know the kind of woman you're referring to.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmmm that's a long journey to where ever the local police station to the accident is for the selfishness of the other driver :wub:.

Will1985

Über Member
As long as he has the reg it's traceable. If those 3 witnesses happen to be his passengers, they won't be very helpful...ideally need independents. Might be useful if one of them develops a bit of neck pain in the next day or two!!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
marinyork said:
Hmmm that's a long journey to where ever the local police station to the accident is for the selfishness of the other driver :wub:.

He pulled over got out and phoned the police (someone took a pic on a mobile too as she drove off) and they said he can report it down our local station.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmmm well that's good then. I had had a hit happen to me and I had to travel a considerable distance to report it after being told at the local I couldn't. It sounds like you've done everything you could, it's annoying but it sounds like it either won't be going anywhere or will be a long claim.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Don't hold your breath on getting it resolved satisfactorily. I'll bet a pound to a penny that driver is uninsured. It's immaterial what happens to him now; your father will likely get Scottish Football Association in compo. Apparently, there's more uninsured drivers now than ever before due to the current economic crisis. I've just heard of two neighbours of ours who were both badly hurt in a smash, car was written off and the husband has been in hospital with major fractures, including his spine, for several weeks now and the driver who hit them didn't even have third party cover! The police have told them to prepare for the worst in terms of the likely financial outcome.

Mr Pig

That's crap! :0( I hate these ba******. I hope she gets hit by a truck on the way to buy her lottery ticket!

And as she lies there, badly injured but still fully conscious, the truck driver reveres slowly over her...

dodgy

/avoids eye contact with Mr Pig...

Moose

Years ago I had someone 'rear-end' me and drive off in similar circumstances - I had the reg. number and make/model of car and took them to the police station. To cut a long story short, the owner said the car had been sold two weeks previous, he didn't know who to and the 'case' was dropped.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Hmm.. turns out all our local police stations are shut for the bank holiday

If she is uninsured I hope they throw the book at her.

Mortiroloboy

Just go down the local police station make a report, if no one was injured it's a straight forward s.170 Road Traffic Act, she should have stopped and furnished details, you say she didn't wind down the window, wonder if she didn't want you smelling the alcohol on her beath?

Call your insurers and make them aware of the damage to your vehicle, give them the registration make and model details of the other drivers car, all insurers and the Police are linked to the MIB Motor Insurers Bureau.
( Hopefully she is insured)

Annoying that it may affect your NCB depending on your companies policy. People like the female you mention are a complete nightmare, she may even be one of the drivers (more than you may imagine) that don't even have a drivers licence.

Sadly we live in a world where some people just dont care.

Blue

Legendary Member
User259iroloboy said:
Just go down the local police station make a report, if no one was injured it's a straight forward s.170 Road Traffic Act, she should have stopped and furnished details, you say she didn't wind down the window, wonder if she didn't want you smelling the alcohol on her beath?

Call your insurers and make them aware of the damage to your vehicle, give them the registration make and model details of the other drivers car, all insurers and the Police are linked to the MIB Motor Insurers Bureau.
( Hopefully she is insured)

If she isn't insured the MIB will deal with RTA liability claims - but you have to make a claim as they won't come to you!

buggi

Bird Saviour
Tell the cops you think she was texting. They can go back to the phone company to see if she was at the time and then they can throw the book at her, especially if one or more of your passengers develops neck pain, in which case it would be more serious that she left the scene.

Top Bottom