dumbass LCC bike lane on Stratford High Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If the question is "how do you turn London into Copenhagen" the answer is "flatten all the buildings outside zone 1 and kill 93% of the population. But be prepared to be unpopular."
Don't do that ... Copenhagen may be 'Wonderful' but it can't hold a candle to London ....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Drains may be costly to move , but proper civil engineering planning and construction really isn't. I work for a firm that has a rather large civil engineering department that has succesfully built lots of carriageways that don't flood.
you're smack on the money. This was bad planning.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this little bit of CS2 cost £2.5M. The second tranche cost over £100M. You can put that in the same hole as the £200M for LCN+. Peanuts! Gilligan is red-hot keen to spend just under a billion on segregated routes that will avoid the bits everybody wants to go to.

And this from TravelWatch prior to TfL blowing two and a half big ones on a bike canal (the emboldening is mine)
Cycle Superhighway 2 is to be extended from Bow Roundabout to Stratford. London’s most important service, bus route 25 carries 23 million passengers per annum and utilises, with five other services, a bus lane that is to be converted to a cycle lane. This bus lane will have been justified on the basis of journey-time savings and a business case. Taking out this bus lane will have a negative effect on both journey time and reliability for all of these services and their passengers wherever they use the bus along its entire route. On the other hand, extending the bus lanes along with some of the Superhighway proposals could have benefited both bus users and cyclists. The consultation with bus passengers only mentioned the cycling improvements; the deterioration in bus service performance was omitted.

This is the thing. The LCC doesn't get cities. It only gets diagrams. And that's what makes it part of the problem.

stowie

Legendary Member
this little bit of CS2 cost £2.5M. The second tranche cost over £100M. You can put that in the same hole as the £200M for LCN+. Peanuts! Gilligan is red-hot keen to spend just under a billion on segregated routes that will avoid the bits everybody wants to go to.

And this from TravelWatch prior to TfL blowing two and a half big ones on a bike canal (the emboldening is mine)
Cycle Superhighway 2 is to be extended from Bow Roundabout to Stratford. London’s most important service, bus route 25 carries 23 million passengers per annum and utilises, with five other services, a bus lane that is to be converted to a cycle lane. This bus lane will have been justified on the basis of journey-time savings and a business case. Taking out this bus lane will have a negative effect on both journey time and reliability for all of these services and their passengers wherever they use the bus along its entire route. On the other hand, extending the bus lanes along with some of the Superhighway proposals could have benefited both bus users and cyclists. The consultation with bus passengers only mentioned the cycling improvements; the deterioration in bus service performance was omitted.

This is the thing. The LCC doesn't get cities. It only gets diagrams. And that's what makes it part of the problem.

In terms of the expenditure, I cannot think that £2.5M or £100M is much of a dent in the TfL budget. What does always amaze me is the cost versus result. Much of CS2 is a blue stripe in the inner lane which has no legal bearing on the road use. Working out how this costs so much is a bit of a challenge. I am a cynical old b*st*rd and suspect that much is spent on consulting and modelling road layout changes to see the affect on motorised traffic and this doesn't really strike me as money spent helping cyclists...

The comment from TravelWatch (not, I assume a breakaway group from MigrationWatch?!) is both partially correct and incorrect. Much of the extension had no bus lane along it at all, the lane removed was a general traffic one. The roadspace was taken away only after the Olympic lanes and restrictions showed no effect on traffic flow on the road. And the road - now that the temp lights have been removed - is as free flowing as it was before from what I can see. The bottlenecks on the 25 route isn't caused by cycle facilities after Bow but by the private car congestion before Bow. A bus lane all along the Mile End Road to Bow would be better for buses than anything afterwards. Now that the CS2 has been in for a little while has it actually caused a deterioration in the bus timetable? Where I think the group is right is that a bus lane - done correctly - could be an effective solution. My suspicion is that the three lanes were too narrow to accomodate a full bus lane and the idea of taking our two lanes to create a nice wide lane with ample room for everyone was deemed a problem for traffic flow.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
In terms of the expenditure, I cannot think that £2.5M or £100M is much of a dent in the TfL budget. What does always amaze me is the cost versus result. Much of CS2 is a blue stripe in the inner lane which has no legal bearing on the road use. Working out how this costs so much is a bit of a challenge. I am a cynical old b*st*rd and suspect that much is spent on consulting and modelling road layout changes to see the affect on motorised traffic and this doesn't really strike me as money spent helping cyclists...

The comment from TravelWatch (not, I assume a breakaway group from MigrationWatch?!) is both partially correct and incorrect. Much of the extension had no bus lane along it at all, the lane removed was a general traffic one. The roadspace was taken away only after the Olympic lanes and restrictions showed no effect on traffic flow on the road. And the road - now that the temp lights have been removed - is as free flowing as it was before from what I can see. The bottlenecks on the 25 route isn't caused by cycle facilities after Bow but by the private car congestion before Bow. A bus lane all along the Mile End Road to Bow would be better for buses than anything afterwards. Now that the CS2 has been in for a little while has it actually caused a deterioration in the bus timetable? Where I think the group is right is that a bus lane - done correctly - could be an effective solution. My suspicion is that the three lanes were too narrow to accomodate a full bus lane and the idea of taking our two lanes to create a nice wide lane with ample room for everyone was deemed a problem for traffic flow.

The only time I see buses held up is by private cars, when there has been a crash or when for example the A12 has been closed and people then head for the A13...

subaqua

What’s the point
you're smack on the money. This was bad planning.
purely out of self interest I emailed a colleague about reasons an alteration to a carriageway would flood when it didn't before the alteration.

her responses were

1 Bad planning
2 poor construction of carriageway

with a caveat that bad planning generally leads to a poor construction

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
In terms of the expenditure, I cannot think that £2.5M or £100M is much of a dent in the TfL budget..
it would build ten dwellings for ten families. That's the calculation.

And....put simply, three lanes with one of them a bus lane would be do-able, but two lanes, one of them an extra wide bus lane would be splendid. And there's the rub. For all the denials and all the bleating at the beginning of the thread, this is an LCC-inspired piece of work in which bus passengers do not exist. And......if you doubt me, check out their design for Westminster Square.

SW19cam

Über Member
So what's the London answer, or isn't there one.

Is this a post that is going to round in circles and keep resurfacing every few weeks like, helmets and vis vests?

Steve

How about - when you have three lanes, one of them being a bus lane that cyclists share with buses, you leave the road design the way it is, but drop the speed limit to 20 and enforce it. Throw in some extra training for both cyclists and drivers and jobs a good one..!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hang on - that's far too sensible a suggestion. It'll never happen (sadly).
and made more than once upthread! TMNs all round!

And - in all seriousness - the reason this entirely sensible plan wasn't followed is simply this - the LCC persuaded TfL that they had a better idea. So any nonsense about 'this isn't our bike lane' is just that - nonsense. They wanted the bike lane. They got the bike lane. It's rubbish.

martint235

Dog on a bike
and made more than once upthread! TMNs all round!

And - in all seriousness - the reason this entirely sensible plan wasn't followed is simply this - the LCC persuaded TfL that they had a better idea. So any nonsense about 'this isn't our bike lane' is just that - nonsense. They wanted the bike lane. They got the bike lane. It's rubbish.
Any credibility the LCC had with me vanished last night after watching the guy on BBC London news whining on about the Olympic Park and the fact he had to wheel his bike up the side of some temporary (note that, the place is still part building site) steps. He then complained about a couple of cobbled stretches on a cycle path and, wait for it, the fact that 3 roads at a major junction didn't all stop at once to allow him to cross in one go. If I thought he was whiny, god knows what your average non-cyclist thought of him.

Top Bottom