dumbass LCC bike lane on Stratford High Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knocksofbeggarmen

London, no less than any other city in this country, is divided... But (and this is a huge but) people still live, work, walk, shop, and worship cheek by jowl - at least in the inner zones. That's the bit the LCC simply does not or will not get. They would have us in our little lanes, separate (but, as Zimmers points out, in conflict with) pedestrians and drivers. They want to recreate the horror that is suburban Utrecht. And they want to do that because, fundamentally, they lack the gift of adult conversation. It's the AspyCyclist view of the world.

Ha ha ha!

Sorry, -STRAIGHT FACE- and let me see if I've got you ruler-straight. You want to celebrate the joy and glory of sharing the roads with lethal vehicles, on the basis that...

...you might one day share a Greek Orthodox Church with a Heavy Goods Vehicle from Across Town, which HGV will politely stand with you throughout the service in enjoyment of London's rich cultural diversity?

knocksofbeggarmen

when the Dutch were designing Houten and seeking to improve their road safety record, they looked to what was at that time the country with the best road safety record - the UK. So Stevenage is the model for suburban Utrecht - not vice-versa.

You are arguing that IF S was looked at by the planners of H, THEN U is modelled on S.

An argument of the same hilarious logical form:

Father saw a film about Oz before he got married. THEREFORE my wife is modelled on Dorothy- not vice-versa.

While "Sustainable Safety" is often pushed by those demanding segregation as some uniquely Dutch cycle-friendly way of doing things it is indistiguishable from the principles we have been using to design new settlements for over half a centuary.

What ignorant tosh.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It seems that the idiocy highlighted in the OP continues unabated. Here's an image from the latest plans for a segregated East-West cycle highway:

tower-hill-westbound-high-res--final-approved-03.07.14-.jpg

When will they work out that this is truly retarded?

Consultation details:
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cycling/eastwest/consult_view

an.gif

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ha ha ha!

Sorry, -STRAIGHT FACE- and let me see if I've got you ruler-straight. You want to celebrate the joy and glory of sharing the roads with lethal vehicles, on the basis that...
I like cycling in London. As it is.

Last edited:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I like cycling in London. As it is.
Had my first go round Hanger lane Gyratory yesterday, was pretty good fun.

I accept that would not be everyone's cup of tea, and that's cool, but the second they install segregated lanes around the place, there will be pressure on me to use those (no doubt useless and full of glass and peds) and to be stopped from riding the roads I enjoy (which tend to be heavy traffic multi-lane main routes - the safest roads for cyclists IMO)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Had my first go round Hanger lane Gyratory yesterday, was pretty good fun.

I accept that would not be everyone's cup of tea, and that's cool, but the second they install segregated lanes around the place, there will be pressure on me to use those (no doubt useless and full of glass and peds) and to be stopped from riding the roads I enjoy (which tend to be heavy traffic multi-lane main routes - the safest roads for cyclists IMO)
round the top or through the underpass?

Top Bottom