Dun Run lite - Friday, 3 Oct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
... In the absence of our favourite oncologist, EPO supplies were not available, they might have come in a bit handy later on...
... Sudbury, a place forever entwined in my mind with the phrase 'rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant'....
@redfalo!
Excellent report StuAff: you nailed the phrases & our thoughts & feelings.
I would certainly have welcomed some roadside EPO in the closing stages.
Some time, please explain the Sudbury cormorant thing a me wotsit!
Glad you survived the challenge of getting home.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
From Monty Python's The Meaning of Life...

"Now two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant. Now some of you may feel that the cormorant does not play an important part in the life of the school, but I would remind you that it was presented to us by the corporation of the Town of Sudbury to commemorate Empire Day, when we try to remember the names of all those from the Sudbury area who so gallantly gave their lives to keep China British. So from now on, the cormorant is strictly OUT OF BOUNDS".

(speech at 1:30)

Tim Hall

As we loitered at the edge of the thriving centre of Diss looking for a pub, we were accosted by a bloke who'd seen us going up and down the street and concluded we were lost. As a fellow cyclist, could he help? I explained we were looking for a pub. He ummed and ahhed, then suggested one or two, but conceded that they weren't very good. In fact his jaded view of the town's pubs and similar establishments might be described as "antiDissestablishmentairianism".

Colin_B

Oh, and I forgot mentioning @Colin_B, who could not come on the entire ride but formed a rolling welcoming committee of one in Suffolk and rode a few miles with us. I really appreciated that Colin. It may have not been really obvious to you, though. I was also still fretting about our timing and progress at that point - hence we did not stop for a longer chat...

Thanks @redfalo, I wouldn't have wanted to hold up the group progress towards Dunwich. It was great to meet and chat with some members of the group as we rode. I could have ridden farther with the group, but I didn't want to push my lucky with my knee. It was a good little test ride and it hasn't given me any pain since ^_^
I'm glad to hear The Ship breakfast was as good as always. I have been there for breakfast myself :hungry:
Reading the reports has made me determine to ride the next one.
Well Done to you all.

Attachments

• Sunrising for fb and Cycle Chat.jpg
    Sunrising for fb and Cycle Chat.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 41

Colin_B

The street light flickered, casting odd shaped shadows on car roofs. The sound of footsteps on pavements could be heard as last minute shoppers scurried home to start their weekends, some with their weekend ingredients along with a good supply of pencils and possibly their aspirations to be a Great British Baker.

http://www.the5milecyclist.com/apps/blog/show/42716479-done-the-dun-run-lite-and-lovely

Thank you peeps!

Mice :hello:
A great ride report and photos. I'm glad you all witnessed a beautiful Suffolk sunrise.

U

User10571

The street light flickered, casting odd shaped shadows on car roofs. The sound of footsteps on pavements could be heard as last minute shoppers scurried home to start their weekends, some with their weekend ingredients along with a good supply of pencils and possibly their aspirations to be a Great British Baker.

http://www.the5milecyclist.com/apps/blog/show/42716479-done-the-dun-run-lite-and-lovely

Thank you peeps!

Mice :hello:
Your linky no worky - not on Safari or Chrome. Help!

U

User10571

Thx :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As we loitered at the edge of the thriving centre of Diss looking for a pub, we were accosted by a bloke who'd seen us going up and down the street and concluded we were lost. As a fellow cyclist, could he help? I explained we were looking for a pub. He ummed and ahhed, then suggested one or two, but conceded that they weren't very good. In fact his jaded view of the town's pubs and similar establishments might be described as "antiDissestablishmentairianism".
Own up - you've been waiting for years for an excuse to go to Diss and use that line.

StuartG

slower but further
Ahhhh - what a ride, what a weekend. Thank you @redfalo.

A great (and completely new to me) ride out from Hackney. I never realised it was so near the green stuff. I had been terrified the pace would be too fast for me but as we galloped along at speeds I only normally do downhill I felt very comfortable. Whether it was the company or the tailwind - all was very well apart from a little faffage with my pannier. (Thank you @Tim Hall , purveyor of cable ties to the gentry). Indeed the crew were polite enough to let me lead the pelaton into Great Dunmow. And on through the last balmy night of the year to the Sudbury McDonalds. So far, so stellar.

Here things started to go wrong. I'm blaming MaccyD's excuse for a bacon sarnie. Whilst others fortified themselves with porridge, this porcine apology from a parallel universe was no more than an anti-matter wormhole. It sucked energy from my body, it even sucked air from my tyre as we pressed on to the coast. As dawn arrived it transformed Suffolk into a succession of mighty cols soaring as much as 10m into the sky. I hung on. First to the rider in front, then the tail lights and eventually to @Flying Dodo who was playing sweeper for the ride Thank you FD - sorry I didn't feel too chatty. We caught up with @redfalo as he paused for brie and arrived in Dunwich in a personal time I would have thought impossible. So while this part of the ride was not so stellar it was still very satisfying.

But then it got even better after breakfast. Having dispatched the the Diss Dashers and the Darsham Dawdlers I repaired to the bar to await my carer who arrived simultaneously with the detached section of the ride. I was fed and watered and conveyed to a bed and oblivion for the next 16 hours. Sunday was the most wonderful sunny Suffolk day. We visited castles, churches, country pubs, got entangled in a Cycleswarm Sportive who, in turn, got entangled in a nasty little accident. But despite this another stellar day.

Monday, in contrast was cold, windy with rain forecast. A day to be inside. And if you have to be inside in Southwold - what better place than a brewery? Great tour of Adnams. The only significant climb was at the end to their private bar to be tutored in beer tasting. What more could one want in life? Hence a 99% stellar weekend. No, make that 150%.

Now back in London I am beginning to realise that at heart I am still a utility cyclist. Arriving should be the start, not be the end. The journey is but a means. Cycling is just the most satisfying means.

Last edited:

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Sorry for the late reply; the day after the ride I went to the US for a week of product training.
I'd figured that no sleep on the Friday night would help me settle into the new time zone. I think it worked ...........

As others have said, it was a glorious evening and the rain when it swept in on the way to Diss was inconsequential.
Meeting redfalo and Mice at Euston was a delight although Mice and I probably paid more attention to the new bike than was polite.
Sorry about that Olaf but it's a beauty.
I also began to worry about how I'd keep up with him on a "proper" bike if he let the genie out of the bottle. As it transpired, I couldn't.

I've done the "official" Dunwich Dynamo 3 times and, apart from my 1st attempt in 2007 (1st night ride, 1st ride over 100 miles, it p*ssed down) I've enjoyed them but this was on another level. I think a significant part was the disciplined riding of the group we were in plus, of course, it's always nice to ride with friends.
I was surprised how my memories of the route were distorted compared to previous attempts. None of the "steep" hills that I'd expected actually materialised and the (remembered) long climb through Epping Forest didn't feature at all. Having said that, the run into Dunwich did appear to drag as much as my earlier rides.
Breakfast was both very welcome and very good and it set me up nicely for the dash to Diss.
Since redfalo and I were doing this ride as a DIY by GPS audax, we pressed on and, because I was feeling good, I hit the front for a while into the wind that had blown us to Dunwich. The surface of the lanes that we took gave redfalo's new bke a good workout. It's not called "Roubaix" for nothing although #####stop reading now dellzeqq#### 28mm tyres would provide the same benefit. 28mm tyres on a Roubaix would be sensational ..........
Diss did seem to be a long way off despite the signs counting us down (Dissonance ?) and it was a relief to me when we finally got there. I'd been trying and failing to hang onto redfalo's rear wheel for the last few miles.
When we finally found a pub, there were beers and a plethora of Diss jokes although I'm (forgive me) Dissapointed that Tim has (forgive me again) Dissed them. That can only lead to Dissillusion and Disscontent.
More puns are available but I've Dissided* to leave it there.

Many thanks to redfalo for organising this and to everyone who came along for their excellent company.
Could this be a regular "not the Fridays but close" ride ?

*Yes, I know; it's not Dissasterous or even Disscourteous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom