Dunwich Dynamo 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Glad you enjoyed the ride. And hope that you'll be back for another.
My bold.
What's wrong with headphones?
It may surprise you to hear that for some riders this ride is, in part, about the quiet and the stillness of the night.
This would not be the first year that there have been complaints from local residents, about loud conversations taking place beneath bedroom windows at four in the morning.
Just sayin' like....

Just because i have a speaker doesnt mean i will have it cranked right up. i passed a fair few groups that were quite sensible with theirs. I think the problem is mainly when theres a large gaggle of cyclists talking loudly after a few pints at pub stops or shouting directions to each other in the dead of night.

I can be pretty conservative.

Plus some other cyclists appreciate a little music along the ride. I know i did

Just because i have a speaker doesnt mean i will have it cranked right up. i passed a fair few groups that were quite sensible with theirs. I think the problem is mainly when theres a large gaggle of cyclists talking loudly after a few pints at pub stops or shouting directions to each other in the dead of night.

Yes, the other cyclists love it. The locals don't. Please see my post above. We admins for the Facebook group for the DD have spent the past week trying to moderate very heated arguments between cyclists and locals, which regrettably degenerated into insults and abuse (by cyclists directed to beleaguered village). This should not even be a thing.

Last edited:

mattobrien

Guru
Personally I am, not a fan of music on the Dun Run. If it is loud enough to hear above riding / wind noise, it is likely to disturb sleeping locals. Nothing like the peace of a quiet Suffolk lane in the dead of night.

U

User10571

RoubaixCube, I don't think that you've really grasped the message here.
I hope you are back for future rides. If this was your first, then congrats! Your next one, I assure you, will be more enjoyable.
Minus the speakers. Please.

Do you drive a car?
Doesn't really matter whether you do or you don't.
Summer time.
Drive round with the windows open.
Bass cranked up to the point where your ears bleed.
And everyone gets to hear it.
You know what I'm talking about.
Both classy and considerate.
Not.
There's not much difference between that and what you are proposing to do on your next DD.
While that may be accepted / tolerated in an urban environment, I don't think I am alone in thinking it is a bit (a lot) $h!t in a rural environment.
Has it crossed your mind that people choose to live in rural villages because they're not all that struck on what I've described above?

I wasn't really offering the topic for debate.
I know the Dun Run is an evolving ride. That's its nature. I've done enough of them to recognise that.
Shellfishness [sic] has never been part of the nature of the ride.
Your keen-ness to introduce it is less than laudable.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I live in a rural village and grew up in one. I'd be quite happy to have musical cyclists coming through at night instead of the noisy motors, but sadly I'm far from the route. Rural villages aren't quiet places. The harvest will start soon, with huge machinery working all hours. I suspect the music or loud talking is being used as a proxy by ex-townies not liking cyclists cluttering up their Hot-Fuzz-style image of what a village should be.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Some of the locals are out applauding the riders, some just sit there supping on a beer and shouting encouragement. Others just want to be asleep. Everyone is different and we should all respect that.
Personally, I prefer listening to the hoots of owls and the whir of bats wings.

What would help, on an unorganised ride, is to organise a few signs pointing out the route in the villages.

U

User10571

Some of the locals are out applauding the riders, some just sit there supping on a beer and shouting encouragement. Others just want to be asleep. Everyone is different and we should all respect that.
Personally, I prefer listening to the hoots of owls and the whir of bats wings.

What would help, on an unorganised ride, is to organise a few signs pointing out the route in the villages.
Nope.
Part of the attraction and, if I'm truthful, what got me back into cycling was the unorganised aspect of the DD.
The 'Oh f*ck, is this the way I went last year?'
The ' I wish I'd picked up a route sheet'
The frantically posting 'Does anyone have a GPS route for this?'
Etc.

If signposts are what you are after, I'm sure there is a sportive thread not very far from here.

PeteXXX

Nope.
Part of the attraction and, if I'm truthful, what got me back into cycling was the unorganised aspect of the DD.
The 'Oh f*ck, is this the way I went last year?'
The ' I wish I'd picked up a route sheet'
The frantically posting 'Does anyone have a GPS route for this?'
Etc.

If signposts are what you are after, I'm sure there is a sportive thread not very far from here.
I do agree, and love the guesswork at junctions, but just in the villages, in an attempt to assuage the wrath of the locals, a few signs would not go amiss, IMHO :smile:

U

User10571

I do agree, and love the guesswork at junctions, but just in the villages, in an attempt to assuage the wrath of the locals, a few signs would not go amiss, IMHO :smile:
My understanding is that the 'wrath of the locals' has more to do with the amount of noise we make, and less to do with our navigation fails.
'Button it Zippy' (not aimed at you in person) and discuss navigation in hushed tones might ensure the locals won't even know we visited their village overnight.
Bit of consideration.
Is it asking too much?

PeteXXX

[QUOTE="User10571, post: 4370336, member: 10571"
Bit of consideration.
Is it asking too much?[/QUOTE]
Sadly, I think it is.
Crackin' ride though :becool:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think that's taking the effort to see both sides to silly extremes! So if there is a noisy harvester working late, that means loud music and shouting late at night should be acceptable, and those who protest are just anti cycling? Rural villages in the dead of night are very much 'quiet places',
Quiet right up until the next car drives through! Each car will probably make more noise than a dozen cyclists and villagers troubled by that should already have stout windows or earplugs or something. OK, don't take the P with a full on mobile disco or going shouting through letterboxes, but a music on a small loudspeaker shouldn't raise complaints. If it does, I doubt it's really about the volume.
and when a woman leant out of her bedroom window during a night ride once and chided us for talking too loudly, I for one felt very embarrassed.
:rolleyes:

bladesman73

Über Member
im all for being courteous but some of the complaints i have seen were made by people who obv have an issue with cyclists. the same kind of people who wake the village up at 7am revving up their bmw or 4x4 on their way to work

Top Bottom