Dunwich Dynamo 4th July 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSteev

Aperitif said:
with our FNRttC friend who sports the World Champ's jersey and cycles in chef's plimsolls :ohmy:.

That'd would be me I guess. :smile: Chef's plimsolls indeed! I'll have you know I was wearing a pair of Vans that were devoid of chequers.

Hi Big Steev - didn't mean to offend but I reckon that when the skaters did their last FNRttC to Brighton...and there were quite a few of you...you were up Turners Hill like a whippet and I noticed those chequered shoes!

Q. "Have you ever ridden in chef's plimsolls?" ;)

2zsd4ow.jpg

My first Dunwich Dynamo!
Undertaken (and overtaken) in good company. It was lovely to do a commute + and arrive, via Islington, to London Fields and meet for a culmination of all the chit chat of previous weeks - the Ride to Suffolk. A few exchanges and banter heading out of London were the order of the day. I was not 100% alert - sluggish is the word - nevertheless, we were soon opening out into the night - like sparkly fireworks in various arrays - speed, colour, light trails - quite a staggering amount of twinkle. If you haven't done a night ride - do it. Cateye heaven!

At the halfway point there was a massive queue! I met lovely Katie from yacf (Her-Welshness) - she called me by my 'proper' name and I was not computing. Got it in the end and we chatted for a few minutes. I had seen her at the start and at points during, in a decent group, so she was being well looked after. (Also thanked Charlotte 'en route' for producing the Friday Night video - the thought of which makes me try to whistle the 'Pastoral' ad nauseam.:smile:)
Tried to sleep, dozed off, but it was chilly for me. 4F's idea of a top secret midway refuelling waggon is a very good idea. I stumbled over bikes and

people to refill the water bottles - it didn't strike me as too extreme at the time but on reflection...hmmm...extreme enough.

29or8zb.jpg

People and bikes - all horizontal!

Luke, Ant and I revved up and pulled out of the feeding point. Not fed, but rested. At this point I'd like to give another pat on the back to Ant / Sittingduck for his navigating skills. Always on course. Eveyone will say "It's easy to follow" but his direction finding was spot on -even when advised by others that he was wrong. Many times we hit junctions with cyclists circling like moths around a lamp...it's ok being a tearaway if you know where you are going! Foot fatigue was setting in for 'duck' and we timed our break perfectly, opposite a typical Suffolk dwelling.

2ro46z6.jpg

It was good to stop, shelter from the persistent drizzle, chat to a few others and it was Luke's pleasure to wayfind for plenty of riders who would otherwise have gone steaming onwards. "If only Charlotte and her 'Ordinary' had passed that cottage"...it was not to be, obviously, and we restarted.
This last section was not easy. Radius had now joined up with CycleChat again, having had enough of London Fixed Grub and Sausage Snatchers and he, being young, led the way. Sitting duck got a hundred miles under his belt and our four arrived on the beach to be greeted by yet another very hungry fluorescent caterpillar, queueing its way to the café door!

Fortunately, steve has brains - and a VW campervan! He saved the day for the dishevelled CycleChat team. In fact, he made the day, because we were able to be together, eat together and share experience together - rather than be strung out all over the place. The restaurant service was excellent, and even the sous-chef played a key part in drinking all the beer rejuvenating us.

2mqwc54.jpg

Super steve at work

2is8t2q.jpg

ably assisted by '(west) ham and eggs with mushroom" Tynan!

4uhyty.jpg

Parking was plentiful for the breakfast peloton

mhqqg.jpg

And in the lounge, 4F - Tony - was enjoying his fifth beer :ohmy:, only half past seven, or was it one over the eight :wacko: :blush:

As we drank more tea, and chatted etc, a woman parked up and four hairy greyhounds bounded out, with a little absent minded thing that must have been the woman's husband.

1126il1.jpg

She's wrestling with 'Rhett'...again!

Crikey! She was like a sergeant major, barking louder than her pets. Off they went, in hot pursuit of mischief, not taking a blind bit of notice. 'Rhett', one of the dogs preferred our company and kept coming back. He loved Tynan, so we know it was either a Stella drinking dog or Ty had been serving the bacon with his fingers!

1o0y09.jpg

Good ole Rhett - "Yes I know they're lurchers and not 'hairy greyhounds madam" Must be lovely to be able to keep four of them.

The rain had put paid to everyone's ambitions of cycling back. I was pretty tired anyway, but even Will didn't fancy it.
Luckily for us, because Will's smashing Dad came to the rescue and we got a lift to Diss and.
It was quite a tug to Diss actually, and the soporific Volvo hum plus snuggly warmth was too much to resist.

2gw9op0.jpg

Luke exchanging the Dun Run for the Diss Dribble...

I bought a train ticket home.
Which was ok I suppose. Wowbagger got on at the next stop - solo with his tandem. I got up to help him load on but couldn't get out the door as I didn't know how to... (Poor Nutkin, his stoker had ground to a halt despite stirling efforts apparently.) He obligingly consumed our spare sarnies, before alighting at Shenfield. (Home of the mouseketeer kebab shop).
Radius, redjedi and I arrived at Liverpool Street not exactly ready for action - it took me a while to get my legs turning properly. (Once again I tried to set off with cleat covers in place).
We crossed the Thames asap, and Jack zoomed away in his homeward direction. Luke and I were going towards Brentford, so re-crossed and followed the Embankment, ducked up to Admiralty Arch for a quiet spin through to Hyde Park, but no. All coned off for tourist purposes etc...
We skirted around clockwise and lo! Cones again. Hyde Park Corner came, High Street Ken, the old man on a bike dummying left and turning sharp right, impatient motorists - we were back!
At Hammersmith a bloke in a white something or other nearly scored a stereo left hook when he appered in front of us - don't think Luke would have been too pleased had that heap made contact with his new cycle. Anyway - a grand weekend - my thanks to all who contributed...even the miserable jobsworth on Diss station. (Life's too short mate.)
I suggest that anyone who does this trip is not using a new saddle, does a few 'grand tours' to test out the comfort of bike, clothes etc and that, where possible, latch onto a campervan toting character toute de suite! Also take plenty of varied food, not just sweeties, think carefully about clothing; and just do it!
SO far, in 2009, I have had so much fun and watched so many folk take pleasure from their cycling, it always seems that the next one will be an anti-climax.
So far, I'm wrong again.
Let's keep it that way.

Of course! You cannot hold a can in each hand and stroke a dog - but the dog is thinking "I'll love Tynan next year when he gives me bacon" :blush:

Radius

SHREDDER
Yep thems me legs :blush:

Aperitif said:
Radius had now joined up with CycleChat again, having had enough of London Fixed Grub and Sausage Snatchers and he, being young, led the way.

General 'ha'.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Radius said:
I refuse, and you should see my bum-fluff face ;) :smile:

my eldest shaved for the first time at the weekend, he was getting pretty woolly. What I really liked was that he just did it, helped himself to my razor and, naturally, no concept of cleaning said razor:biggrin:

good write up Teef, look forward to this for next year

Radius

SHREDDER
Heh, I've got my own electric now but yes I probably did the same (it was a while ago tho!). At least this one does look fairly like 'real' beard-material, bit ginger tho, not sure about that ;)

Top Bottom