Early Hours Cycling for the First Time!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I suspect you'll soon get used to the ride, 8 miles is a good distance for a commute and should prove to be one that you can well maintain. Ive done a few night rides myself (although usually in the company of others) and find it a real pleasure riding on empty roads.

winters at 2.00 am will bring their own challenges but you'll adapt.

Good luck.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not often, but I sometimes finish work at 1am and this has usually happened to coincide with the Christmas party season. My 10 mile night time commutes have been pleasant and incident free despite my minor worries about exuberant revellers and seasonal drunk drivers.

My advice is not to overly worry about commuting in the wee small hours. In my experience you have speed on your side and as long as you pay attention and watch out for possible trouble you will be fine.

Tom B

Guru
I regularly ride home between the hours of 0000 and 0200.

To be honest I love it, its the best time to ride. I can see the appeal of riding at 4/5am, but ive never been a morning person and getting up at 0530 for the early shift is my idea of hell.

I ride a whole range of routes home varying from the 6 mile direct route to the 14 mile long way around. Some of these routes are semi rural, some through suburbia, roughish estates and some skirt the edge of town.
The estates are usually empty at that time of night and cause no issue, i do worry sometimes about a drunk driver, but I think the changes of being hit by a drunk are probably less than the chances of being hit by the greater number of cars in the day. Most drunk drivers are too busy following the white line so l keep left. I stay out of the town centres.

I work in the estates at all hours so I am probably desensitised, but I do know that random personal robbery for bikes and other such nonsense is pretty much unheard of at that time although I do always assume that anything anyone shouts at me is encouragement. :-)

I am a bit of an Ice-o-phobe so i tend to get a lift/drive if there is significant ice or snow.

Make sure you are lit up well, I use lots of cheapo AAA powered LED lights on the back of the bike and my bag/belt.

Finally get on Strava/MapmyRun and you'll be too busy trying to beast up the hill/beat last nights time to worry about anyone calling you names/being caught.

Dont wear earphones.

Top Bottom