Earth Rod Paranoia..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, my knowledge of electrical stuff and the exact workings of earth rods is slim to say the least, but I have just discovered that there are 2 earth rods in the ground in the bike stand at work.

I'm probably being totally paranoid, but will this have an effect in a thunderstorm? I.e. will lightning be more likely to hit the earth rod? If that is the case, what would be the effect on my poor little bicyle parked on top of it or, if I try to avoid the stand right on top, about a yard away from it?

Please tell me the 2 are completely unconnected and my bike can rest there in (relative) peace!!!!

scook94

Veteran
Well, on the plus side your seat will be nice and warm...

Globalti

Legendary Member
The voltage neede to jump from Earth to that cloud hovering over you is so massive that it won't descriminate - it'll just take the nearest tall object thank you.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Do you mean lighting rods or Earth rods?

If it is lightning rods then there will be a visible copper strip that runs up the side of the building to the highest point. These are to provide the lightning an easy route to earth to disipate safely. The only risk to yourself would be if you decided to stand there holding the conductor during a thunder storm. Some of the lightning would then chose to go through you to Earth and you will get a shock. Left alone it should cause no harm to your bike on the bike stand.

If it is an Earth rod then it should be a covered connection in the ground with no visible cables above the surface. This would be a connection to allow an electrical Earth to be connected to the building's electrical supply. It will be completely safe unless you were a four legged farm animal standing on wet muddy ground face, or bum, on to the rod. The current gradient across the wet ground would produce a current flow between front and back legs giving the animal a bit of a shock. Animals should stand sideways to any Earth rods. It is a requirement for electrical installations on agricultural land to have more then the usual number of Earth rods to reduce the voltage gradient in the surrounding ground.

Top Bottom