EBay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
I never had bought or sold on here. i have a few things to sell. what precautions can i take to avoid being stung. I have a palypal account now too.

cheers

asterix

Comrade Member
Obviously check the buyer's feedback and only communicate via ebay. Anyone wants to deal outside ebay, forget about it.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
e-bay works pretty well, once I did get a bad vibe from someone who was buying something from me, turned out they where from East Europe and they where fine.
Quite a few people come to my house and pay cash and collect which is great.

I find most people just see the seller as a shopkeeper and are only interested in getting the object they are paying for it's as straight forward as that usualy.

There have been bad experiances on e-bay I think they are rare though.

Oh and when selling be as accurate as you can in the description.

thomas

the tank engine
mr Mag00 said:
I never had bought or sold on here. i have a few things to sell. what precautions can i take to avoid being stung. I have a palypal account now too.

cheers

Make sure they're fully verified if paypal and you are, so that you get buyer protection.

I've never had a bad experience with ebay and I've used it a few times and sold on it. It involves a little trust.

Davidc

Guru
Use the ebay and paypal systems and follow them to the letter.
Only accept paypal or if necessary cash for small amounts from callers.
On the other side be scrupulously honest about what you're selling, its condition and in any replies to questions.

Do that, and as others have said, it works.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's easy. You can't really get 'stung', because you don't part with the goods till you get paid. And in any case, despite what the Daily Mail would have you believe, the vast majority of people are decent and honest to a fault.

I've done upwards of 500 deals on ebay - not one problem. Count 'em - zero.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Some other points: don't get into the habit - as so many Ebayers do - of overcharging on the carriage to make a few quid extra. Pack the item, weigh it, then place your ad and calculate the postage accurately.

Also be sure to time the sale so that you can post the item the next morning, assuming the payment comes. A quick delivery always pleases your buyer.

Time your sales for weekday evenings between 7 and 9 when most people are on the web, avoid weekends and public holdays when people are away.

Be sure to give feedback; nothing is more irritating than not receiving feedback.

Work out how to take the best photos on a neutral background, using a small size for quick uploading to Ebay. Take lots from different angles then eliminate the bad ones.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
the only 'sting' is with Ebay fees... never been happy with invoiced charges that occur when I compare with sales gone thru.. there is a definite disparity.. and all goes into Ebay profiteering imo.. but unless someone else has an alternative.. we're all stuck with it... monopolies are good for some
maybe its different for 'business' sellers that Ebay desire over private sellers

gbb

Legendary Member
I think the negative parts with ebay are insignificant, if you take precautions.

If the item you're selling is cheap, always get proof of postage.
If its expensive, always get Recorded delivery.
You can block bidders with strikes for non payment etc.
You cant really vet bidders who come in in the last few seconds. If you do get someone who looks dodgy, treat them with great caution. Get you proof of postage etc, then if it goes tits up, at least you can claim it back.

Be extremely careful with your descriptions...i advertised an expensive aquarium pump once. My photo showed JUST the pump and filters. My description made no reference to hoses.
When the buyer got it, he asked...where's the hoses.
Now I usually put a line on the bottom of my listings...'what you see in the picture is what you get. If you're not sure, please ask'.
Buyers sometimes assume a lot.

Ive over 400 feedbacks, all positive...i guess maybe ive had problems with 10 of those, but they usually get resolved ok.

If buying I usually ask a technical question just to establish that the seller knows what they are talking about.Have had a few problems with "foreign buyers" bidding the price up and then refusing to pay the postage which is as much again as the cost of the item - so I wonder if these are genuine.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Rigid Raider said:
Some other points: don't get into the habit - as so many Ebayers do - of overcharging on the carriage to make a few quid extra. Pack the item, weigh it, then place your ad and calculate the postage accurately.

Also be sure to time the sale so that you can post the item the next morning, assuming the payment comes. A quick delivery always pleases your buyer.

Time your sales for weekday evenings between 7 and 9 when most people are on the web, avoid weekends and public holdays when people are away.

Be sure to give feedback; nothing is more irritating than not receiving feedback.

Work out how to take the best photos on a neutral background, using a small size for quick uploading to Ebay. Take lots from different angles then eliminate the bad ones.

This is top notch advice and as stated elsewhere make sure you get proof of postage. I've used ebay, buying and selling, for nearly 10 years and have never had a problem that couldn't be sorted out. There's so many flakey buyers and sellers on ebay now you need to make sure you've done everything right.

bonj2

eBay and paypal aren't trustworthy at all. They only act in their own interests.
they claim you don't qualify for protection when you've fulfilled all the criteria, they send automated responses to any problems and they always act in the favour of the buyer.
If you're a seller, your buyer can easily simply claim they didn't receive the item and demand a refund from you, even after several months have gone by.
It will be taken out of your account, and if this leaves a negative paypal balance, they will take the liberty of helping themselves to it out of your credit card or bank account. When you prove to them that you posted it and even if you've got positive feedback, they don't care.
If you're a buyer, you will probably get an item of some sort - but whether it will conk out after 3 months, be second hand sold as new, a fake, stolen, is anybody's guess.
You take your chance, really. It really is a gamble.
People forget that eBay isn't some online shop, it's simply a way of putting buyers in touch with sellers, with a method for the buyers stitching up the sellers if they so choose to do so.

Top Bottom