"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Sorry, thought you'd pm'd me. Edited now.

Okay connects with Strava and the Eddington number from Strava calculation works, but won't upload to mycyclinglog

OK, new features.
  1. You can now delete everything that has been added to MyCyclingLog by this program. Which is good, because ....
  2. Improved duplication tests: it now looks to see if the daily total on MCL log is greater than strava. If it is, it doesn't create new activities. And it only adds enough rides from strava so that the MCL total is equal to the strava total. If there is already an activity on MCL that has been copied from Strava by me, it won't be copied again.
  3. You can delete and copy from MCL repeatedly.
  4. You can divide long rides on strava into separate days. see more details below ....
as before http://mcgalliard.org/eddington
-----------
Details
To split the rides into days, I need the GPS points. Strava doesn't officially "allow" you to download the gpx and seems to have deliberately made things so you can't work around it. So instead, you have to download the files onto your local machine, then upload them to my site - Strava can't complain about that. So that's a bit of a faff. I give you all the links to download, and pretty clear (I hope!) instructions on what to do - but still, it's a faff. I keep the files in a scratch directory, so if you don't explicitly remove them (I give you a button that does that) they are quite likely to still be there the next time you calculate your Eddington number, but if the files are gone, you will have to upload them again.

Can I suggest that a better approach would be to create a MCL account (if you don't have one) and copy the activities from Strava, with "split rides" ticked? Then you can calculate your E-number from MCL. When you add rides in strava, it's a single button click to copy them across to MCL. If there are new rides that go past midnight, you will have to download and upload them, but you won't need to repeat it for previous rides.

If you calculate you E-number from strava with split rides, then decide you want to copy all that data to MCL, you can do that. The rides should still be on available, so you won't have to upload/download again.

Does that make sense? It increased my E-Number from 56 miles to 60, so it's worth a little faff, I think.

You guys are alpha/beta testers. That means I've tested it as thoroughly as I can, but you are still playing with code that may very well have bugs. MCL users, please click this link http://www.mycyclinglog.com/view.php?s=event_date&d=d&e=1 to download your current rides before you use my delete button. I have tested it pretty thoroughly, but if I do corrupt your MCL, I will help you get it back. But I need CVS file from the https://www.mycyclinglog.com/view.php page to do that!

Nothing should change in your Strava account.

Caveat: I haven't asked @Supersuperleeds to test this new version - let me know if that was an error :sad:

(the word of the day is "faff".)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
.......and Bingo...

Eddington Number 107 achieved.

upload_2016-2-7_18-35-17.png

.......and Bingo...

Eddington Number 107 achieved.

View attachment 118264
Congrats.

It's so weird. I feel I have a part of your achievement. But truth be told, since I started my little E-number project, I've only had one Eddington worthy day (99km, ~ 65 miles so it's only an Eddington day for me, would be a mere pootle for Ian.)

lozcs

Guru
Works great, thanks, although how do I see the "you need to do x rides of at least x miles to increase" list?

*edit - scratch that - showing now

Last edited:
I thought this was broken yesterday. I knew my Eddington Number was "sixty something" and when I came home with an 80 mile total for the day and checked my number, it was only 60. I spent a while looking for a bug, but finally realised that although I remembered it was "sixty something", it was actually 60 - and the two shortest rides included were both exactly 60 miles. So all that bother for nothing!

Now I have to do another FNRttC :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I thought this was broken yesterday. I knew my Eddington Number was "sixty something" and when I came home with an 80 mile total for the day and checked my number, it was only 60. I spent a while looking for a bug, but finally realised that although I remembered it was "sixty something", it was actually 60 - and the two shortest rides included were both exactly 60 miles. So all that bother for nothing!

Now I have to do another FNRttC :smile:

oops......... oh well... another FNR... never mind...:okay:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Last weekend's ride to Hastings took mine to 98. Two 99+ days for 99. Three 100s for 100. I intend to do at least two of the latter next week- I'm on leave, combining Els' Brussels-Ostend night ride with a mini-tour back to Le Havre- might try and fit a third in..

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
74 miles today - hit E54! Out with Cycling UK Portsmouth on their Cathedral Challenge ride from Havant to Portsmouth Cathedral. The weather was so spectacularly lovely I couldn't resist a detour to Hayling Island to take in some sea air and a bit of wave action. My first ride on the Hilsea Lines cycle track and really enjoyed it, along with the rest of the ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@jefmcg

Joan, is there any chance you can tweak your site?
Where it says
You need to do 1 ride(s) of at least 108 to increase it to 108.
You need to do 10 ride(s) of at least 110 to increase it to 110.
You need to do 134 ride(s) of at least 150 to increase it to 150.
You need to do 197 ride(s) of at least 200 to increase it to 200

Could you change/add to the first 3 figures. ie 108,109,110, 150.. I am sure not many people unless they are Steve Abraham will need or ever get to 200. I know I certainly wont.

If not, no biggy...thanks.

Top Bottom