"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Surprised, thought it would be more then that.
I think I'm doing it right. Exported to Excel from MyCyclingLog. Sorted into large to small distance, first time the distance is less than the row number+1 (for the header).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think I'm doing it right. Exported to Excel from MyCyclingLog. Sorted into large to small distance, first time the distance is less than the row number+1 (for the header).

Row 101 should be your total (but.. you may have a few rides on the same day that have been recorded as separate entries)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In activities. At the bottom right is an 'export to csv' button.
So export all your rides. Then import them into an excel file.
In the distance column, sort so that your longest ride is at the top and descending down.
Look at ride # 101 (Row 1 will have the value descriptions), that should be your Eddington number.
You said you Eddington number will be 100. In that case. Row # 101 should be 100miles+

Hope that makes sense.
Forgive me for challenging you - but I really don't see why that's the case. Row #101 will just be your 100th longest ride. If it's more than 100 miles, then your E-number is 100 or more. If it's not, then it's 99 or less. You need to look at all the rows to determine your E-number - if I had a brain at this time of the night and a spreadsheet in front of me I could write a formula for it.

Unless, that is, I've missed something about the structure of the exported data.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Forgive me for challenging you - but I really don't see why that's the case. Row #101 will just be your 100th longest ride. If it's more than 100 miles, then your E-number is 100 or more. If it's not, then it's 99 or less. You need to look at all the rows to determine your E-number - if I had a brain at this time of the night and a spreadsheet in front of me I could write a formula for it.

Unless, that is, I've missed something about the structure of the exported data.

Nope, you are right.
My Eddington number is 104 (I did have 105, as I took the 100 x 105 miles rides not 104 rides of 104+ miles as it should be
If it was 99 then you would have to do 99 x 99 miles rides, 100, 100x100 etc etc

Below is a screen grab from excel, removing the top row. So my Enumber is 104, with 2 more 105's to reach that number

upload_2015-5-19_22-47-27.png

Maths was never my favourite subject

Reactions: srw
Nope, you are right.
My Eddington number is 104 (I did have 105, as I took the 100 x 105 miles rides not 104 rides of 104+ miles as it should be
If it was 99 then you would have to do 99 x 99 miles rides, 100, 100x100 etc etc

Below is a screen grab from excel, removing the top row. So my Enumber is 104, with 2 more 105's to reach that number

View attachment 89274

Maths was never my favourite subject
You will also need to take into account any column headings as well. So, (just for anyone else following this) of you have put something like date and distance at the top of the column this will need to be accounted for. This may have already been mentioned. I'm not sure. I just use the spreadsheet I wrote and record the total distance i for that day in the table and it gives me the answer.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think and this needs checking the formula for a spreadsheet with headings and sorted longest ride first is going to be:

EN=(row number>mileage)-1 so if row 100 contains 101 miles and row 101 contains 100 miles then the EN is 100. If row 66 contains 68 miles and row 67 contains 66 miles then your EN is 66.

Someone please destruct test!!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think and this needs checking the formula for a spreadsheet with headings and sorted longest ride first is going to be:

EN=(row number>mileage)-1
I haven't tried it as a formula in a spreadsheet but that's the way I understand it. You could always add a number count row starting one down, or two if there's a distance heading, taking care not to sort it with the mileage column.

rb58

Enigma
I'm puzzled (I know, it's a steady state for me) but how can the EN go from 75 to 79 with just one more ride? That implies you have done 78 rides of 79+ miles, in which case wouldn't your current EN be 78. Please bear in mind I abandoned A level maths on the basis I didn't understand it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You will also need to take into account any column headings as well. So, (just for anyone else following this) of you have put something like date and distance at the top of the column this will need to be accounted for. This may have already been mentioned. I'm not sure. I just use the spreadsheet I wrote and record the total distance i for that day in the table and it gives me the answer.

I did
Look at ride # 101 (Row 1 will have the value descriptions)

Top Bottom