"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got home from a long day of cycling - but not that far, due to equipment problems - rear gear cable needs replacing. But I've worked out if I cycling another 3 miles, I will increase my number to 52. So I am about to find out how lazy I am.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just got home from a long day of cycling - but not that far, due to equipment problems - rear gear cable needs replacing. But I've worked out if I cycling another 3 miles, I will increase my number to 52. So I am about to find out how lazy I am.

I got home on Thursday from work and realised I had missed increasing mine by 1.3 miles - I was to lazy to go back out.

I'd never heard of Eddington numbers till I just read this thread. I've no idea what mine & can't be fussed to work it out.

I've got a cycle challenge penciled in for next year; if I get chance to do it and actually manage to achieve it my Eddington number will be 100 by the end of the year.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'd never heard of Eddington numbers till I just read this thread. I've no idea what mine & can't be fussed to work it out.

I've got a cycle challenge penciled in for next year; if I get chance to do it and actually manage to achieve it my Eddington number will be 100 by the end of the year.

If you are on Strava you can use this to automatically work it out for you http://canini.me/eddington/index.php

care of @jefmcg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm not on Strava. I do use Garmin Connect; does that have a function that would work out E numbers?

In activities. At the bottom right is an 'export to csv' button.
So export all your rides. Then import them into an excel file.
In the distance column, sort so that your longest ride is at the top and descending down.
Look at ride # 101 (Row 1 will have the value descriptions), that should be your Eddington number.
You said you Eddington number will be 100. In that case. Row # 101 should be 100miles+

Hope that makes sense.

In activities. At the bottom right is an 'export to csv' button.
So export all your rides. Then import them into an excel file.
In the distance column, sort so that your longest ride is at the top and descending down.
Look at ride # 101 (Row 1 will have the value descriptions), that should be your Eddington number.
You said you Eddington number will be 100. In that case. Row # 101 should be 100miles+

Hope that makes sense.

That does make sense.

I was just about to do that when I discovered Garmin Connect has a search function; one of the filters is distance. My current Eddington number is 24 & I'm 4 rides away from 25.

so, upped my days total to 53 miles. Eddington number is still 51. I'm an idiot. I've now down 51 rides of 52 miles or greater. Oh well, I should be at 52 in a week or less.

The difference between canini.me and Ian's method is that canini adds together all the rides you do on a day. So today's was actually 4 rides, with a train journey in between. But the simple method would be close, until someone wants to write some code.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
so, upped my days total to 53 miles. Eddington number is still 51. I'm an idiot. I've now down 51 rides of 52 miles or greater. Oh well, I should be at 52 in a week or less.

The difference between canini.me and Ian's method is that canini adds together all the rides you do on a day. So today's was actually 4 rides, with a train journey in between. But the simple method would be close, until someone wants to write some code.
I don't think there's a strict ruling about it being a single ride. A single day seems just as reasonable to me. As long as you're not counting the train journey miles, of course.

Top Bottom