Effect of jet lag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

User3094 said:
The effect? A 20 page discussion between User482 and Simoncc about carbon offsetting, I shouldnt wonder. :eek:

I suspect that SimonCC and I would be in total agreement on the value of carbon offsetting. :ohmy:

FWIW I'm not opposed to people flying (and I would be a hypocrite if I were) - I just think that we should do it less often.

jay clock

Massive member
Hi Patrick, I went in January and had NO jetlag on the way out. I was amazed. I flew Sat 2pm, arriving Monday 7am (13 hrs ahead of UK when I was there but that in fact means 11hrs difference on the body clock)

I went with ANZ via LA. They were great in terms of food, space (an inch or two better than most) and staff. Going west also allows MUCH more luggage, including taking a bike for free. The only disadvantage of going that route is having to endure US immigration in LA.

A major part of no jetlag was the excitement of my cycling trip. I got a cab to my partner's uncle's house, unpacked, had brekkie, bike fettled, then cycled about 25km in and around Auckland. I am a big fan of exercise and sunshine (or bright daylight) in getting the body sorted.

I then had a 90 minute nap about 6pm (set the alarm!) then went to bed at 11 and up at 6. The bext day was the first cycling day and I never had any jet lag symptoms.

On the way back I don't recall massive problems.

I took and aisle seat and drank so much water that I was constantly off to the loo, and I am convinced that was a good move.

Full story here www.crazyguyonabike.com/julian

zimzum42

Legendary Member
agree, staying hydrated on the flight is very important, one reason I never ever drink on a flight, don't care that it's free, it messes you up cos it dehydrates you even more....

jay clock

Massive member
just had a read of all the comments and have to disagree about the going east or west mallarkey. If you travel round the world with a 12 hr difference it makes no difference.

The only thing that really matters is what time you get on the plane. If it is your night-time, you have a better chance of sleeping. On mine I left the UK at 2pm, dozed a bit to LA (arriving around 2am UK time) then slept a on and off but not that well on the LA to NZ leg (5am to 6pm UK time of day 2). If you travel for 27 hrs east or west you still arrive at the same time.

The other issue is that if your body wants to sleep but everyone else is awake you need eyeshades and earplugs to create a night time vibe. I also find my Ipod with relaxation music or similar can help

Finally, Melatonin tablets are available (only on prescription in the UK) and I find these help a lot. I got them in the US. Take 1 at the point at which you go to bed or want to sleep on a plane. They have some effect in resetting the bodyclock. I have never taken sleeping tablets (and don't want to) but these seem to really help.

Top Bottom