Effect of jet lag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Patrick Stevens said:
You're not suggesting a few strokes with the rattan cane to cure jet lag? :biggrin:

He's probably hoping you'll have packed your long mac and wellies. :rofl:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I can't guarantee you the rattan, but I can definitely guarantee you a couple of laughs over some beers if you're in Singapore for a while....

lycradodger

When you land, drive for an hour and a half, have a quick shower then go out on a stag night until 4 in the morning. Wake up 4 hours later, eat barbequed haggis for breakfast then go for a 10k run pushing some fool in a wheelbarrow with a 25kg weight chained to his leg. It worked for me this March.

Coming back a week later was truly horrendous, however. 7 hours in Heathrow terminal 1 on a Sunday morning is more than any man can bear.

Serious answer: getting whatever sleep you can on the way over seems to help. I'd recommend flying out from the UK in the evening so your body is expecting to sleep - the 2 times I've done that I have felt relatively OK, and the 1 time I didn't I was zonked for a few days.

U

User482

Kirstie said:
The active ingredient is arnica - there are some other ingredients too but the name escapes me.

http://www.nojetlag.com/

At the concentration of active ingredients typical in homeopathy, it's unlikely that there was any active ingredient in there at all.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
zimzum42 said:
I can't guarantee you the rattan, but I can definitely guarantee you a couple of laughs over some beers if you're in Singapore for a while....

Alas, I'm pushing the boat out in going for a fortnight - the first two week holiday in 20 years, so it's a matter of getting there and back as quickly as possible.

yenrod

Patrick Stevens said:
I'm planning to take my first ever long haul flight and visit my son in New Zealand. What's the effect of jet lag likely to be?

Yo - Pat: I know someone who came from USA to england and it took them a full week to turn themselves around to the timezone.

Batzman

I've done that journey quite a few times...

If you're flying air NZ, the flights usually get in around 5am (not so good). As others have mentioned, flying westward (longer days) is generally easier than flying eastwards. (unfortunately, the cheap flights usually go via hong kong/shanghai)

I'd suggest: mild sleeping pills (even a couple of hours sleep on the flight will make a BIG difference) (don't mix with alcohol, usual warnings apply, etc)
If you can, try to stay awake the day you arrive until it gets dark at least.
if it's sunny, try to get out into the sun, it'll help reset your body clock
- however, the sun in NZ is *very* strong! if you don't wear sunscreen/hat,et c you will *BURN*. (the burn time can get down to 8 minutes in summer!)
Expect to be tired for the first few days (you'll find yourself getting tired quite early in the evening, and waking up early.)

If you are going cycling there, you'll find the roads nice and wide, and (relatively) smooth, but the drivers are pretty ignorant of cyclists...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
piriton make good sleeping pills in that they don't zonk you out as much as real sleeping pills do, just help you get drowsy and drift off.....

Keith Oates

Janner
I've done quite a bit of long haul flying and can't really say that there is anything to ease the affect of jet lag. Some flights I have no problems on others it takes 3 or 4 days to get over it. The one thing that does apply IMO do not go heavy on the booze because for sure that will not help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abitrary

Keith Oates said:
I've done quite a bit of long haul flying and can't really say that there is anything to ease the affect of jet lag. Some flights I have no problems on others it takes 3 or 4 days to get over it. The one thing that does apply IMO do not go heavy on the booze because for sure that will not help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote

er, sorry, but booze is the only thing that will alleviate the symptoms but not the cause of jet lag

Keith Oates

Janner
Abitrary;424845][quote=Keith Oates said:
I've done quite a bit of long haul flying and can't really say that there is anything to ease the affect of jet lag. Some flights I have no problems on others it takes 3 or 4 days to get over it. The one thing that does apply IMO do not go heavy on the booze because for sure that will not help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote

er, sorry, but booze is the only thing that will alleviate the symptoms but not the cause of jet lag

:eek: It does alleviate the symptoms, the hangover just hides it for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abitrary

sorry Keith, I was purely taking it in Patrick Steven's context... not wanting him to have withdrawal symptoms.

BTW keith, what's it like reading all this in the middle of the day in vietnam? It must be better than good TV.

Evilcat

Patrick Stevens said:
Alas, I'm pushing the boat out in going for a fortnight - the first two week holiday in 20 years, so it's a matter of getting there and back as quickly as possible.

You have two broad options: Air NZ going west (usually via LA) or Air NZ, Cathay or Singapore Air (plus some others I have probably forgotten) going East. I've done both, and the west route has the advantage that you just need to try and stay awake for the first, day flight and sleep on the second, landing early morning. However, flights via the US are a huge pain security wise -- at LAX you get herded into an unpleasant holding pen.

The going east route means two overnight flights so the chances are you may not get much sleep on the second one. Usually I attempt to stay awake for most of the first flight and then do the majority of sleeping on the shorter, second leg.

In either case the challenge is to stay awake the day you arrive. If you are flying onwards in NZ (and routes via the far east give you options of Christchurch as well as Auckland) then that is usually enough to keep you awake. Otherwise staggering around in the sunlight normally does the trick for me. Usual approach is to dump the bags wherever I'm staying and then go for a long walk followed by an early dinner. Next day I feel almost human.

Final point, if you can afford it then travelling half way around the world makes upgrading your class of a travel a worthwhile investment, just to have a better chance of sleeping onboard and feeling much better when you arrive. Air NZ has Premium Economy which has more space and better food, and obviously all the airlines have business class (although only Cathay and Singapore have first class all the way these days).

PM me if you want any specifics: I do this route at least once a year and will be out on my second 2008 trip in November.

EC

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Singapore Airlines are excellent, and Changi airport in Singapore is better than most for transit....

Can I have your air miles if you use them please?!?!?!!?

Top Bottom