Eight minutes on his phone leads to death of cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
People will never learn because they are too stupid.

R.I.P

It's worth noting that Wrathall lied to the police and tried to blame the man he killed. Wrathall claimed the cyclist rode into his vehicle, it was only when the cops examined cctv they realised he was lying to try to save his skin.

Colin B

I drive for a living and see this every day and itnannoys the hell out of me and the idiots who text whilst driving well the mind boggles . The sentence is a joke and I hope one day that this crime will change its name to manslaughter then the sentence might fit the crime better . These idiots are an accident waiting to happen and a danger to everyone on the road I know cos I've had a few near misses off em myself and even protected by a 3.5 tonne van it still shakes you up

buggi

Bird Saviour
It's worth noting that Wrathall lied to the police and tried to blame the man he killed. Wrathall claimed the cyclist rode into his vehicle, it was only when the cops examined cctv they realised he was lying to try to save his skin.
i used to work in law. the one thing i never understood is why people get a lesser sentence when they plead guilty. Instead of taking time off for the guilty plea (because you saved the victim/family from going through a court experience), surely they should add time on if you plead not-guilty and then get found guilty (for putting the victim/family through it). This would stop people trying to get away with shoot like this; and i think this rule should extend to when people are found to be lieing at the scene and trying to blame the victim when they know it's their fault.
and why have they mentioned the cyclist was not wearing a helmet. a subliminal "victim blaming" message i think.

Perhaps also they should consider prosecuting people who are on the other end of the phone. They are starting to do this in major accidents. Take the Concordia. It wasn't just the Captain that went to jail, it was his first officers and some of the crew, even some of the office staff!!! the reason for this is, although it was the Captain's decision to go off course, the others were prosecuted because they didn't do anything to stop him. Perhaps they should start to consider this is these circumstances. His girlfriend must have known he was driving (8 minutes!!!) and therefore holds some blame. She should have told him to call back when he wasn't driving. Perhaps if the person on the other end of the phone is also at risk of prosecution, less people would be so willing to take the call.

buggi

Bird Saviour
[QUOTE 2919605, member: 9609"]it's nothing to do with saving victims/families the horror of a court case, and everything to do with making the lives of the law profession easier, 'get it all wrapped up early and we can get back to the golf course'.[/quote]
yes, but they don't say that out loud.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I have nothing but complete contempt for 'drivers' like him.

Selfish, arrogant, dangerous, killed someone then went into arse-covering mode and tried to blame the cyclist for his own death.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
'Careless' is a momentary loss of concentration, chatting away on your phone is 'dangerous' IMO. And I've said it before, but if you are responsible for killing someone on the road you should never be allowed to drive again.
Agreed..
as soon it was proven he was on his phone , he should have been hung, drawn and quartered.....disembowled as well.
Seriously though, the book should have been thrown at him..
21 month? a f'in joke

Top Bottom