Eight minutes on his phone leads to death of cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
and why have they mentioned the cyclist was not wearing a helmet. a subliminal "victim blaming" message i think.
I was going to mention this too but you've got it covered. Completely irrelevant IMO.

The police could easily clamp down on this if they wanted to, they have eyes just the same as we do and we all see it often enough, if not several times a day. Just last week I had to take evasive action after a young girl in a very newish white hatchback completely cut the corner as she turned into the side road I was about to exit. I had to swerve and brake to avoid being flattened and all the time she didn't flinch, just kept talking into the phone she had clamped to her right ear while staring at me like I was something she had just stood in!

These people need to be hit where it hurts! Just like a drunk driver they should lose their licence and be stigmatised in society. They are just as dangerous and the evidence is there to show that it turns you, willingly or not, into a potential killer.

Hands free set-ups are not really any better. I consider myself a competent and aware driver but even hands free affects that. Conversations have to be restricted to "Yes/no/thanks, I'm driving we'll talk about it later!" Discussing anything more than a direct, brief instruction is madness and going over how your day has been, or what shall we do tomorrow is taking your concentration from the immediate and present situation where 100% of your faculties are needed.

Start to punish people now, before they kill someone, and perhaps people will get the message?

clockman

Über Member
Outrageous sentence. He will be out in 5 minutes flat and back racing again the following week as it doesn't need a road licence, unless I am much mistaken.
RIP
Unfortunately, this would appear to be true.
However, the MSA (Motor Sports Association) issues competition licences, which (I believe) have to be renewed every year. The MSA is regulated by the RAC and ultimately the FIA.
There is a vague rule in MSA common notes for competitors licences, to the effect that the issue of a licence is conditional on the applicant's credentials satisfying MSA and that at all times MSA reserves the right to issue a licence.
This would seem that MSA could refuse an application, but as Mr Wrathall has previously held a licence, they may feel that they cannot refuse to re-issue.
It is interesting that the family run Dynojet racing team has been sold, so he would not have been racing this season anyway. Even without the conviction.
I feel the whole situation is very sad, my heart goes out to the family of the cyclist.
I also wonder, if the model girlfriend, who ultimately has some moral responsibility for the accident, will still be around when Mr Wrathall gets out of prison!

oldstrath

Über Member
Unfortunately, this would appear to be true.
However, the MSA (Motor Sports Association) issues competition licences, which (I believe) have to be renewed every year. The MSA is regulated by the RAC and ultimately the FIA.
There is a vague rule in MSA common notes for competitors licences, to the effect that the issue of a licence is conditional on the applicant's credentials satisfying MSA and that at all times MSA reserves the right to issue a licence.
This would seem that MSA could refuse an application, but as Mr Wrathall has previously held a licence, they may feel that they cannot refuse to re-issue.
It is interesting that the family run Dynojet racing team has been sold, so he would not have been racing this season anyway. Even without the conviction.
I feel the whole situation is very sad, my heart goes out to the family of the cyclist.
I also wonder, if the model girlfriend, who ultimately has some moral responsibility for the accident, will still be around when Mr Wrathall gets out of prison!

In a civilised society this killer would never be allowed to drive a motor vehicle again. Mind you, in a properly civilised society very few people would drive motor vehicles anyway.

Last edited:

clockman

Über Member
In a civilised society this killer would never be allowed to drive a motor vehicle again. Mind you, in a properly civilised society very few people would drive motor vehicles anyway.
I totally agree. There is no room on our roads for arrogant drivers, with no respect for the law and who are prepared to blame others for their inadequacy.

clockman

Über Member
This not surprising, spending my working day in a car, I see this all the time, cars, trucks and even buses and coaches.
I really do not think that the jailing of a spoilt, arrogant racing driver, who thinks he is above the law, will have any effect.
It will be very interesting to see if, come the first race of the BTCC, if anyone mentions the fate of Frank Wrathall.
Somehow I doubt it. The embarrassment has gone, out of sight, out of mind.
A pity really, because it could be used as a very effective educational tool.

Top Bottom