Energy Saving Light Bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I always thought these things were best left on, that they use loads of energy to fire up, but once going they use very little.

The office eco-nut keeps turning the toilet light off, and I always leave it on, but we both think we're doing the right thing.

Does anyone know of any evidence to prove either of us right?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The energy saving bulbs do not use any more engery to start up, BUT they do not come to full brightness immediately as incandescents do.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Actually, this bit "they use loads of energy to fire up, but once going they use very little" sounds rather like me :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
They are best left on, they use little energy so where's the harm? If no one is going to use the room for some time, overnight for instance, then by all means switch off. Ergo, your 'mate' is a tit.

I think the "use up more energy to start" theory is really just an urban myth. The modern low energy bulb and the old style office tube basically work in the same way just the unit is smaller and tube folded round.

I cant see that the electrical bit can do anything different on start up as it does the rest of the time. I worked in an office and would turn about 200 on at the same time and saw no sign of excess power demand.

As a note, I do tend to leave the new ones on as they are so rubbish at lighting up. You have done your wee and are on the way out by the time they get bright. Also when old tubes needed to be replaced you just put in a new tube. The new bulbs come with the whole unit as one so you have to throw the whole works away when the tube goes. Not as green as it could be!

Mr Pig

I hate energy saving bulbs!

We've got a stack of them in a box upstairs as I put them up then took them all down again as they weren't bright enough. Our ceilings are ten-foot high and the upstairs hall has no windows and even the brightest energy-saving bulbs look dismal.

But the thing that really gets my goat is the way these things are foisted upon us. I'm paying for the electricity I use so why shouldn't I use the bulbs I want? I use light bulbs to light things up, that's what they're for, and I want ones that do the best job of it.

But no. Thanks to the tree huggers incandescent 100w and 150w are being phased out and we will no longer be able to buy them. Great!

Vast factories that use more electricity in two seconds than my light bulbs do in a year, politicians with two or three houses with the heating running all year round but never mind that. Let's get these evil light bulbs sorted out!

domtyler

Über Member
zimzum42 said:
My mate has a great pair of tits too! makes it hard to tell her she's a nutter!

Ah, why didn't you say? In that case I suggest leaving the lights off at all times and re-enacting the famous Fawlty Towers searching for light switch routine at every available opportunity. :rolleyes:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
To extrapolate this subject

If you install sensors that tell if someone is in the room, can anyone calculate how soon these sensors become "effective"? By that I mean how much energy is taken to make a sensor, so how much energy does it need to save in order to justify itself. I think you can adjust the timing on thes sensors, they switch themselves off. (Did you hear that Fnaar?)

Yes,:rolleyes: now I will go and do something useful.

Maz

Guru
Mr Pig said:
...incandescent 100w and 150w are being phased out and we will no longer be able to buy them. Great!
I'll buy you one for xmas. Can't wait to see your smiley face light up as you unwrap it...

domtyler

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
I hate energy saving bulbs!

We've got a stack of them in a box upstairs as I put them up then took them all down again as they weren't bright enough. Our ceilings are ten-foot high and the upstairs hall has no windows and even the brightest energy-saving bulbs look dismal.

But the thing that really gets my goat is the way these things are foisted upon us. I'm paying for the electricity I use so why shouldn't I use the bulbs I want? I use light bulbs to light things up, that's what they're for, and I want ones that do the best job of it.

But no. Thanks to the tree huggers incandescent 100w and 150w are being phased out and we will no longer be able to buy them. Great!

Vast factories that use more electricity in two seconds than my light bulbs do in a year, politicians with two or three houses with the heating running all year round but never mind that. Let's get these evil light bulbs sorted out!

These may be of interest:

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/product/detail.php?id=537

Top Bottom