Energy Saving Light Bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

zimzum42 said:
I always thought these things were best left on, that they use loads of energy to fire up, but once going they use very little.

The office eco-nut keeps turning the toilet light off, and I always leave it on, but we both think we're doing the right thing.

Does anyone know of any evidence to prove either of us right?

This myth gets repeated endlessly but that's what it is, a myth. Fluorescents do require a small extra jolt of electricity to get them going but it's equivalent to leaving the lights on for a minute or so at most. So unless you are constantly going in and out of a room, then turning 'em off is the best eco option.

As an aside, nearly all the bulbs in my house are fluorescent. Some seem to warm up quicker than others, so rather than dismiss all fluorescents as rubbish, try a different brand if you're haaving a problem. Though having a room not at maximum brightness for a few seconds has never seemed like the cataclysmic disaster that some like to portray it as.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
As an aside, nearly all the bulbs in my house are fluorescent. Some seem to warm up quicker than others, so rather than dismiss all fluorescents as rubbish, try a different brand if you're haaving a problem. Though having a room not at maximum brightness for a few seconds has never seemed like the cataclysmic disaster that some like to portray it as.

Snap, where's the problem?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Mr Pig said:
I hate energy saving bulbs!

We've got a stack of them in a box upstairs as I put them up then took them all down again as they weren't bright enough. Our ceilings are ten-foot high and the upstairs hall has no windows and even the brightest energy-saving bulbs look dismal.

But the thing that really gets my goat is the way these things are foisted upon us. I'm paying for the electricity I use so why shouldn't I use the bulbs I want? I use light bulbs to light things up, that's what they're for, and I want ones that do the best job of it.

But no. Thanks to the tree huggers incandescent 100w and 150w are being phased out and we will no longer be able to buy them. Great!

Vast factories that use more electricity in two seconds than my light bulbs do in a year, politicians with two or three houses with the heating running all year round but never mind that. Let's get these evil light bulbs sorted out!

You can get much brighter energy saving light bulbs than 100W and 150W standard, you're talking nonsense. there's often even a choice of what type of light. I've had a very bright 6500k for yonks.

Cab

Years ago I started replacing the old ligtbulbs with energy efficient ones, just as the old ones blew. Still a couple of old ones in the house, but otherwise we're on energy efficient bulbs. Just as bright as the old ones, but a lot cheaper to run. There aren't any down sides.

And leaving them on to save energy... Stupid myth.

wafflycat

I see that Mr Pig, our resident overt Christian creationist is not serious about environmental stewardship then.. certainly not as that august body, the Church of Scotland would have in a report

http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/councils/churchsociety/downloads/csgaenergy.txt

Examples:-

"7.4.2 Why not follow the example of Eco-Congregations by taking the following actions in your church?

Install low energy light bulbs in the sanctuary, halls, and manse."

But it would seem... to MrP, that certainly not in the home.. ;)

marinyork

I don't know why people get so worked up about the 100W ones. I gave a girlfriend a 4300k equivalent 125W bulb which absolutely slaughtered 100W filiament. Even a japanese housemate who had a similar attitude to Mr Pig thought it was better and thought it interesting there was a choice of types of light.

wafflycat

Pretty much every light bulb in Chez Wafflycat is low-energy. Have used low-energy bulbs for years now. Even the spotlights in the kitchen & bathroom are low-energy ones. The range & styles of LE bulbs is far better in recent years than when they first came out.

gavintc

Guru
We are the same, where we have been able, we have changed the bulbs to low energy bulbs. Apparently, dimmable low energy bulbs are on the way. If this happens, I can then replace the few remaining in our living room and bedroom.

I also believe that leaving bulbs / flu tubes on is an urban myth. I remember reading it an article, can't remember where that claimed this may have been true in the 60's but is certainly not true with modern flu tubes and bulbs.

Arch

Married to Night Train
All my bulbs are LE now, it's great, I got them for 99p each in IKEA about 6 or 7 years ago, and they've moved house with me, and I haven't had to change a light bulb since then! One of them stayed on overnight everynight for about 2 years at my last house as a security measure.

I also fail to see the problem with lights taking a second or two to get completely bright. Unless you habitually rush into rooms and need to compare paint charts, or do some fine needlepoint within seconds, the light is quite enough to work by....

domtyler

Über Member
gavintc said:
We are the same, where we have been able, we have changed the bulbs to low energy bulbs. Apparently, dimmable low energy bulbs are on the way. If this happens, I can then replace the few remaining in our living room and bedroom.

I also believe that leaving bulbs / flu tubes on is an urban myth. I remember reading it an article, can't remember where that claimed this may have been true in the 60's but is certainly not true with modern flu tubes and bulbs.

They are available already Gav but they are cost prohibitive at the moment. Around ten quid a pop last time I looked.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
I also fail to see the problem with lights taking a second or two to get completely bright. Unless you habitually rush into rooms and need to compare paint charts, or do some fine needlepoint within seconds, the light is quite enough to work by....

xx(

See someone's on form today! ;)

marinyork

domtyler said:
They are available already Gav but they are cost prohibitive at the moment. Around ten quid a pop last time I looked.

For a long while actually. The last ones I saw were a bit ugly too, even for energy savers and there may have been some size issues in some people's houses.

Top Bottom