Energy Saving Light Bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
xx(

See someone's on form today! ;)

Only until I actually get home, than I'll collapse in a weary heap. Was on a train home from Stevenage at 9am this morning, after a week away in France. Been sorting out some teaching I'm helping with on Weds, now I can go home, dump my bag, go out and get milk, bread, cheese etc, and then put my feet up!

That whole light/delay thing - we don't know we're born these days. Imagine when you had to go round lighting candles/oil lamps, and then you still never got a decent amount of light!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Just wait until they get the colour and cost problems sorted out with LEDs and this will all be history anyway...

Mr Pig

Maz said:
I'll buy you one for xmas. Can't wait to see your smiley face light up as you unwrap it...

Cool :0) I stock up on them anyway, we've got a big box of light bulbs. I buy them in bulk, mostly on line because it's much cheaper.

Thank you for the links. I didn't know you got saver bulbs that bright so I'll have to look into those. My wife also claims to get headaches from florescent tubes but maybe these smaller ones would be ok.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
OK folks, how do you dispose of spent light bulbs? I guess you can't put 'em in the glass recycling, so in an environmentally friendly sort of way, what should we be doing?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
cisamcgu said:
The energy saving bulbs do not use any more engery to start up, BUT they do not come to full brightness immediately as incandescents do.

domtyler said:
They are best left on, they use little energy so where's the harm? If no one is going to use the room for some time, overnight for instance, then by all means switch off. Ergo, your 'mate' is a tit.

wafflycat said:
+2

Also, the newer ones come to full brightness almost immediately - much better than the older ones.

Full marks to wafflycat for getting the right answer. Leave them on if you have money to throw away or just use the old fashion type and waste even more.

Being a true Scotsman I decided to do a wee bit of economic analysis and find out just how much difference the cost would be using old fashioned type halogens, modern low energy bulbs and cutting edge LEDs. I was surprised by just how much money can be wasted by using old fashioned type bulbs, there is now noway I would go back to using them. If you want to check out how much YOU could save just try my Energy usage comparison page.

gavintc said:
We are the same, where we have been able, we have changed the bulbs to low energy bulbs. Apparently, dimmable low energy bulbs are on the way. If this happens, I can then replace the few remaining in our living room and bedroom.

I also believe that leaving bulbs / flu tubes on is an urban myth. I remember reading it an article, can't remember where that claimed this may have been true in the 60's but is certainly not true with modern flu tubes and bulbs.

I did some work on this a few years ago; on start up there is a small energy boast needed but, only about what the bulb burns in 2 or 3 seconds. So if you are going to leave the room for longer than that it’s worth turning them off.

However, there was a reason for leaving early tubes on, my understanding is that the story that they use less energy left on rather than starting was originally put around by the manufacturers of the long fluorescent tubes when they first came out. In the end of each tube is a little heater that warms the electrode at the ends of the tubes and allows the arc to draw along the tube and hence produces UV light which is then converted into visible by the fluorescent coating on the inside of the tube.

In early tube these heaters were not very well constructed and the thermal shock of warming shorted the life of the heater and hence caused the tube to fail giving the tube a bad name. Leaving them on meant that the tube heaters remained at a constant temperature and hence the life expectancy of the heater was long and the tube life expectancy of the tubes was improved. Now days the heaters are robustly constructed and this no longer applies but has developed as an urban myth.

Long dimmable fluorescent tubes are available as the control circuit has 2 sections; a constant voltage to the heaters to maintain a constant temperature, a variable voltage across the tube to vary strength of the arc and hence light output. In practice the tubes will turn down to a certain point and then go out completely, when the arc fails. Then there is a minimum setting at which the arc will re-strike and the light comes back on. Difficult to see how the small low energy bulbs could be made dimmable without 2 circuits but I haven’t worked in this field of about 4 years so things have probably come on since I last dealt with them.

cygnet

Fnaar said:
OK folks, how do you dispose of spent light bulbs? I guess you can't put 'em in the glass recycling, so in an environmentally friendly sort of way, what should we be doing?

The new LE bulbs are classed as EEE so you can dispose of them at a registered WEEE site: http://www.recycle-more.co.uk/banklocator/banklocator.aspx
Oddly incandescents are not classed as EEE but I don't see any reason why you couldn't take them to the same sites.

wafflycat

Fnaar said:

Where I live, the local recycling centre (dump) will take them

col

Legendary Member
We recieved a three pack free of charge through the post,i think they were off the council,got them in different rooms and they seem ok.

Top Bottom