European Championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Fabulous. And for Zoe Backstedt in the U23s. The future is bright.
Looking forward to the women's road race this afternoon.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Caught the last lap of the women's road race. Dutch domination. Mischa Bredewold took a flyer and no team had enough numbers to chase (apart, obviously , from the Dutch, who weren't chasing) People looking at each other and Demi Vollering controlling things as Bredewold zooms away.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Bredewold has had a cracking 2023!!

I am very fed up with the SDWorx domination. I really like their riders as individuals (Wiebes leaves me a bit cold) but they just win everything and it's beginning to make women's cycling boring. I don't know how they can be beaten though. They're a phenomenal team.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wow that was some finish. Great entertainment. Chapeau to Chrisophe Laporte.

One fly in the ointment... women's SDworx 123, men's TJV 123

Last edited:
OP
OP
tarric

tarric

Über Member
Yes well done Laporte, I thought he was going to get caught on the line but had enough left to hold of Van Aert and Kooil for another JV 123.

Jumbo have had a ridiculously good year this year. All 3 GTs. Whole podium at the Euros. Plus the TOB obviously.

Weren't they losing their Jumbo sponsorship for the next year? I doubt they'll have problems replace them.

Adam4868

Guru
Glad Laporte won that...had that extra little kick to put Van Aert into his preferred second place 😁
Should have gone with De Lie....

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Wow that was some finish. Great entertainment. Chapeau to Chrisophe Laporte.

One fly in the ointment... women's SDworx 123, mens TJV 123

Yep. It’s problematic.

McNobber

Jumbo have had a ridiculously good year this year. All 3 GTs. Whole podium at the Euros. Plus the TOB obviously.

Weren't they losing their Jumbo sponsorship for the next year? I doubt they'll have problems replace them.

In ye olde days, eyebrows would have been raised

OP
OP
tarric

tarric

Über Member

They have their current sponsors (Jumbo) till the end of 2024 unless they agree to part ways I think, but I don't see them have much of a problem finding a new main sponsor there's even talk of a Saudi backer.

Yep. It’s problematic.

I don't see why we've had teams dominating in the past and most likely someone will come along and knock them off.

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
They have their current sponsors (Jumbo) till the end of 2024 unless they agree to part ways I think, but I don't see them have much of a problem finding a new main sponsor there's even talk of a Saudi backer.

I don't see why we've had teams dominating in the past and most likely someone will come along and knock them off.

I agree - we all assumed Pog would dominate or Bernal and things change, but SDWorx seem literally unbreakable at the moment. There is a lot to admire about them but I find myself sighing when they win again. Van Vleuten seemed like the only person to challenge Vollering and she's gone now.I hope a new challenger rises up. Big fan of Vollering, but would love to see a wider range of winners.

Top Bottom