Ever had an out of body/near death experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was an article on bbc breakfast this morning about this. A study led by the Hammersmith hospital is looking into people's accounts of near death and out of body experiences. I reckon I have had one. When I was hit by a car in 2001, I was lying in the road unconscious but have a clear 'memory' of floating above the road I was on looking down on a person and bike lying there. The next 'memory' I have is the feeling of gravel sticking in my face and then coming round (talking shite, seeing double and unable to move etc) but realising I was lying in the middle of the road.

Any takers?

domtyler

Über Member
Absolute load of bollox, did you see the people they were interviewing? Looked like he's been on a two week ketamine/methadone bender.

Maz

Guru
You must've had a pretty bad accident to be in that state, Kirstie. How long did your out of body experience last for?

domtyler

Über Member
While it is easy to imagine that you will hallucinate and imagine all kinds of weird things after suffering a severe trauma, especially where the brain has taken an impact, claiming that your mind has physically separated from your body and was floating above in the air is something else altogether.

Maz said:
You must've had a pretty bad accident to be in that state, Kirstie. How long did your out of body experience last for?

For as long as I was unconscious. It felt like a long time but probably wasn't. It took me 3 weeks to get over the concussion as well (and then there was the broken back...) Happily it's all OK now.

As far as I am concerned it was a projection of my subconscious mind because I'd had a head injury, but the experience materialised in the perception that I was outside of my own body.

yello

Kirstie said:
As far as I am concerned it was a projection of my subconscious mind because I'd had a head injury, but the experience materialised in the perception that I was outside of my own body.

I'd go for that. The brain can do funky things.

yenrod

I was going round a roundabout (very fast) and I had priority, as I was on it, cept there were 2 blokes who were approaching it in a vehicle at speed (I noticed them having a great laugh in the vehicle) – I remember thinking: if I don’t go now it’ll be a collision as I was going soo fast AND he was too and he wouldn’t have seen me till we collided SOO…I actually closed my eyes and when I opened them I was still on the bike so I survived: I’d got past 1st then, them, but it must have been close…

I really blessed myself on that one and I really was a ‘beliver’ on that one!!!

Another time I was approaching a quiet T junc. Very bright evening sunshine and made the mistake of going out (right) and at the last minute realised a car totally oblitereated from view on the right. – that was a close call too,.my fault on that one (lucky stars shone for that :headshake:)

Aged 16, I had just finished reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse and had the urge to try chanting, as done by the Brahmins in the book.

Lying on my bed, I chanted 'Om' over and over again. After possibly 20 mins, I was aware of me looking down on myself gawping like a goldfish. I had a huge desire to continue the 'journey' upwards, but at the same time was terrified, and quickly returned to my body and woke up.

I haven't tried it since, but one day . . . !

TWBNK

I once met a lady who suffered a cardiac arrest in front of me, fortunately I was in my ambulance at the time and with a few swear words, drugs, a defibrillator and some good CPR I soon had the lady up and talking to me, we took her to a nearby hospital and handed her over to the A&E staff.

I called back in later to see how she got on and one of the nurses explained that she had arrested again in the A&E in front of her, a doctor was called to the room and they did a bit more of the cpr and drugs malarkey, once again she was resuscitated and this time when she came around she explained to the nurse how she had seen a doctor walk in the top door of the resus room and do the electric shock thing on her chest, she saw this from the corner of the room and gave quite an accurate description of what had happened.

I asked the nurse if the lady had said anything about the ambulance crew bouncing off the walls of the ambulance and swearing a lot, fortunately she said no.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've had several, when i've been having a kip. Haven't had one for a while, which is a shame because I quite like them. I float up, feel my nose bumping the ceiling like I'm filled helium, if I want I can turn over and look at myself sleeping, sometimes I float off outta the window after.

col

Legendary Member
I had one yesterday,when i went to the toilet it was the biggest out of body experience iv ever had.

Top Bottom