excuse me While I wet myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Keith Oates said:
ASO are blaming the riders, the teams and the UCI for bringing the sport into disrepute when it's ASO who are the main culprits now

Are you kidding Keith? ASO are at last sending out a hard message to all in cycling that the penalties are harsh - and about time in my opinion. For years the mealy mouthed UCI have run scared of upsetting teams, owners, sponsors and riders and look at the mess the sport got into. CP is using the fact that the TdF as weapon knowing that it is the highest profile event in the world. Whether he is doing it to protect it's integrity for monetary or sporting reasons is immaterial to me as they're inextricably linked. If it has the desired result, all well and good. I may be naive but this sort of headline will make riders and teams think twice before cheating us all in the future.

Keith Oates

Janner
richP, it seems to me that you're easily led!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
For what it's worth, I think Rich has got it right in that ASO is sending a clear signal and is drawing a line, something that the UCI has failed to do. And Keith is right in that ASO is doing it for chauvinistic, flouncy all-too-French reasons.

Personally, for what it's worth again, I dislike the ProTour for the very selfish reason that it meant the death of the Tour of Holland. One afternoon every year I could stand along the roadside and see the Big Names flash past. I even saw Tyler Hamilton crash (but so did many others). And then the UCI decided the Grand Tours needed more publicity, money, publicity and money and effectively ditched the ToH.

yenrod

Thats why the big tours stuck together and nows its by and large tete a tete...uci v big tours (& some smaller 1's too)

gavintc

Guru
I think it is a good thing that Astana were shown the door before getting to the start line. I felt that the 07 tdf was spoilt by Astana, Rabobank etc. Personally, I am glad that there is some strong standards in the sport. Compare with the overwhelming unease over the Chambers issue and then look at the warm welcome when cyclists return after their 2 yrs in the wilderness. Cycling needs to sort itself out or the sponsors will walk away.

OP
OP
walker

walker

It sort of leaves a huge hole as to who the favourite is going to be for this years jersey. If Boonen can keep up what he has started this year I would bet he would hold the jersey for at least 3 stages.
But if ASO have not invited Astana, its still not to late to dismiss High road and Rabobank.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Have they said who's in or just who's not?
No we don't!
"The full list of teams is expected to be named by ASO on February 29"
CP

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think Cadel Wheelsucker Evans is odds on favourite now. Who's he going to follow though?:smile:

girofan

C'mon guys, face it, they are all at it! Why do you not see faces contorted with pain, spittle over chins and riders 'blowing big-time' any more?
Riders can peddle up mountain passes at 19mph with a smile on their face breathing through the nose. What does that signify?
If amateur riders tried that they would expire with the effort!
It may seem unfair to some that Astana have been singled out, but hopefully it will send a message to Cofidis, Rabobank and Highroad that the party is well and truly over.
The UCI and McQuaid can huff and puff as much as they like, but history will show that they are part of the problem, not the solution. Anyone caught with the suspicion of doping in an ASO promoted race will be cast out into the wilderness of a UCI Protour event!!!

OP
OP
walker

walker

girofan said:
C'mon guys, face it, they are all at it! Why do you not see faces contorted with pain, spittle over chins and riders 'blowing big-time' any more?
Riders can peddle up mountain passes at 19mph with a smile on their face breathing through the nose. What does that signify?

Err??? Lighter bikes, more science in sport, Shorter stages. Pick any one of just a few I mentioned.

Thing is does the ASO stop there, For all it's worth just drop the who UCI teams, as they all pretty much have had a doper in the team. So effectivley opening up the who tour being ridden by wild cards. Hey, Rapha Condor Might be in with a shout after all.

Tetedelacourse

A tour being ridden by lesser riders; I don't want to see that. But I do want a clean tour. I don't think they're all at it, but it is scary when you look at the past, er, 16 winners and their main challengers!

OP
OP
walker

walker

it does open up the question if Lance was on anything, he openly admits he didn't do anything, but if those that were behind him were on something, what makes him so super human

rich p

ridiculous old lush
walker said:
it does open up the question if Lance was on anything, he openly admits he didn't do anything, but if those that were behind him were on something, what makes him so super human

Ask Betty!!

Top Bottom