Exhibition Road

well?

• good thing

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • bad thing

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Officials had hoped the new 20mph speed limit would cut accidents by 30 per cent.
One person has been injured in two weeks, not seriously. What was the accident rate last year?

Linford

One person has been injured in two weeks, not seriously. What was the accident rate last year?
Even with the road works, it was a very busy space when I visited with people stepping out whenever without looking to cross the road. More people, more confusion, more opportuunities to connect with otheer people, cyclists or vehicles. I would have thought the best thingwould be to have a lot more crossings strategically placed, and a 20mph limit.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Even with the road works, it was a very busy space when I visited with people stepping out whenever without looking to cross the road. More people, more confusion, more opportuunities to connect with otheer people, cyclists or vehicles. I would have thought the best thingwould be to have a lot more crossings strategically placed, and a 20mph limit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a lovely looking road now.
They should just bite the bullet and close it to cars.
It would make for a great thoroughfare for peds & tourists.

Linford

No Idea TBH, mine is only the opinion from walking it and driving it on a saturday when all the work was going on.

Linford

It's a lovely looking road now.
They should just bite the bullet and close it to cars.
It would make for a great thoroughfare for peds & tourists.

Not really sure of the geography of the area, but it loked like a main thoroughfare. Blockingthese off only pushes the problems elsewhere or creates new ones in the residential backroads around it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not really sure of the geography of the area, but it loked like a main thoroughfare. Blockingthese off only pushes the problems elsewhere or creates new ones in the residential backroads around it.

Who cares, let car drivers worry about that.
They said the same about Trafalgar Square being pedestrianised and it's turned out fine and now the Square is a joy to visit rather then chancing death trying to get to it.

Exhibition Road has some of the worlds greatest museums which draws in millions of tourists every year so the powers that be should embrace a road closure.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

There you go again with your sensible questions! Isn't the vague one-off impression of a 4x4 pilot from Cheltenham before the road was finished enough for you???

Linford

1726038 said:
make it harder and harder to get about by car incrementally until people give it up.

Imagine a merekat smiley

I'm struggling a bit with that as I also had the MIL in the car as well who uses a wheelchair with any distance more than about 30 yards. Not everybody has the mobility of the average cyclist.

Linford

Yebbut, without all the cars clogging up the system, accessible public transport would be so much better for your MIL.

I did say it was a lighting visit, and not an overnight affair. When I say 30 yards, She walks 30 yards, she is done in for the day. She can get out of it and wander around for a little bit in the immediate vicinity but she couldn't do a hike. She is either car or wheelchair and is very unsteady on her feet after a couple of strokes. Waiting around for public transport to turn up and taking half a dozen buses from a park and ride to negotiate the capital is not something I'd even contemplate. The strokes mean she has some of her marbles, but not all, so she couldn't be left unattended at all for fear she'd have a fall. It is a bit sad really and a horrible part of the ageing process if you get caught by it.

Linford

1726403 said:
That sounds awful and I can see how it us very much easier for her to get about being driven. It is a fair way towards one end if the mobility spectrum though as is tour contrasting example the mobility of the average cyclist. In between there is an overwhelming majority of people who really do not need to clutter up the place with their dangerous, noisy, smelly and unwelcome cars.

All very sad really, she was a second mum to my kids when my missus was in work when they were younger. She really was brilliant, an absolute rock, and the kids absolutely treasure her :becool: . She was into walking for miles over the hills, and take walking holidays (only 8 or 9 years go). Strokes can do that though, and caused by high blood pressure. Had about 3 over the space of about 2 weeks. If you or yours suffer from it, the consequences of not controlling it can be horrendous.

Top Bottom