Eye laser treatment/Contact lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Uncle Mort said:
I'm not sure that's true any more. My sisters (a doctor and a consultant surgeon) both had it done, as both have my GPs here (husband ad wife team).
Still makes me nervous though but I like the reports of the Wavefront system that gives better then 20 20 vision.

OP
OP
W

Willow

You see none of you are helping here as I feel in my heart I want to try the lasek rather than contacts but am not sure if I am being sensible.

I started wearing glasses seven years ago, for driving and cycling, eighteen months ago I started taking a vitamin regime every day, A, B, C, D.

Acouple of months back I though my prescription was wrong to went for an eye test and my vision had improved to the same point as when I first started wearing glasses despite having worsened slightly on every eye test before. Optician thinks it could be related to the vitamins or it could just be one of those things, maybe in 18 months I will be 20/20 again.

Mrs Aperitif just had a Lasik treatment done - two weeks ago. First day dark glasses and the next day - immediate vision, sunglasses on when out and about, rest of the week protection over the eye at night with the application of drops and now has no need for specs at all. Returned for the final ok last week and - it was a painless (except the zap of ££££££s on plastic) operation.
They even gave money back as it was only one eye that needed treating rather than two.
But...it's the price of a new bike... :biggrin::biggrin::B):tongue::B):B)
I'm sure she would chat to you about it Willow - if you needed any input...

OP
OP
W

Willow

Aperitif said:
Mrs Aperitif just had a Lasik treatment done - two weeks ago. First day dark glasses and the next day - immediate vision, sunglasses on when out and about, rest of the week protection over the eye at night with the application of drops and now has no need for specs at all. Returned for the final ok last week and - it was a painless (except the zap of ££££££s on plastic) operation.
They even gave money back as it was only one eye that needed treating rather than two.
But...it's the price of a new bike... ;):biggrin::B):B):B):B)
I'm sure she would chat to you about it Willow - if you needed any input...
thanks but I'm not sure if that will help as I went for lasik and they stopped it part way through when I was on the table now I need lasek experience and preferably someone who had lasik aborted - unlucky as I think it was a miniscule chance that would happen even the staff at the clinic were gutted. -

ps the price of many new bikes!

I'm half Blind (-4.75 & -3.75). I started wearing contact lenses (disposables) a few months back but I prefer my vision with the glasses so only the lenses occasionally for club run or sometimes when the rain is too heavy to see out of glasses. I took them too Oz and was a bit nervous at first but found out they were OK in the water. I used them in fresh water lakes and in the snorkeling in the sea.

Willow said:
out of interest though who did she go to?

Here - in Wigmore St. London

shimano

I use monthly disposable contacts and keep them in for swimming or the shower etc with no problems. I wear specs occasionally just to give my eyes a rest. I know a few people who've been 'zapped' mostly without problems although one guy who went for the expensive version (£1300 I think not the £395 per eye you hear advertised) still has to wear reading glasses!

OP
OP
W

Willow

shimano said:
I use monthly disposable contacts and keep them in for swimming or the shower etc with no problems. I wear specs occasionally just to give my eyes a rest. I know a few people who've been 'zapped' mostly without problems although one guy who went for the expensive version (£1300 I think not the £395 per eye you hear advertised) still has to wear reading glasses!

Virtually no where does it at £395 unless your prescription is so minimal it's not worth doing. The issue regarding reading glasses is where in my opinion there is no point in me doing it unless I can have monovision - one eye for distance, one for reading and the brain adapts.

It's interesting reading everyone's experiences even if it is a cycling board - still it affects how I cycle in the rain!

Speck said:
The Rosen Eye Clinic do lens implants, a friend of mine had them inserted by them. He is over the moon with them. The web site sends you to this site!! http://uk.opticalexpress.com/intraocular-lenses.html

A chum of mine has just had implants. He is as pleased as punch with them, before his sight wouldn't allow him to drive, but his last eye test gave scores of 6/4 (that's better than 20/20) in both eyes separately.

Maz

Guru
I was very disappointed when I realised that (for me at least) laser treatment would only correct my short-sightedness e.g. my eyesight would be good for driving. They told me I would eventually need glasses in order to read etc. in years to come.

Top Bottom