Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's actually English

"A haggis recipe was published in an English book almost two hundred years before any evidence of the dish in Scotland, an historian has claimed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8180791.stm

Oh dear, what a shame. Pilfered by a border raid probably. Rumours that Porridge is an English dish are yet unproven but the recipe was in the same book along with neeps and tatties :birthday:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Crackle said:
Rumours that Porridge is an English dish...

:birthday:
The Scots are welcome to keep that one...

adscrim

Veteran
Bloody historians, get a real job. It doesn't take a huge leap to imagine that all farming communities where sheep were kept would have a similar dish.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Haggis was adopted by the Victorians as a Scottish speciality along with kilts and bagpipes and all that other romantic claptrap. It was probably the poetry of one Mr R Burns that did more damage than anything else.

My son asserts that they're a Spanish creation, but I haven't dug up any supporting evidence.

Seeing as the spud as we know it originated somewhere in Peru, wouldn't the Incas have come up with something along those lines, perhaps? Any experts in Inca cuisine please?

OK, to get back on topic.

Everyone knows that the Wild Haggis has legs longer on one side than the other, so that it can run around mountains (one way only). So: if it originated in England (which is mostly flat*), how did it stay upright? :biggrin:

*I think I may have to take cover...

OP
OP
C

Crackle

It's a Cumbrian dish.

Rumour has it there were some leek recipes and one for potato stew in the same book.

Arch

Married to Night Train
661-Pete said:
OK, to get back on topic.

Everyone knows that the Wild Haggis has legs longer on one side than the other, so that it can run around mountains (one way only). So: if it originated in England (which is mostly flat*), how did it stay upright? :laugh:

*I think I may have to take cover...

Well, presumably it was restricted to the Lake District, and Snowdonia.

Except in captivity, where it was kept in special pens with sloping floors.

I'd heard that chips (and fried fish) were an Italian thing too, and that it was Italians who brought the idea to Britain (along with ice cream parlours.)

Globalti

Legendary Member
.....haggis is of course hunted by finding a well-trodden haggis route or "chemin" encircling a mountain. The hunter then hides behind a rock until he hears the distinctive clucking bleating sound made by an approaching haggis. He jumps out and scares the timid beast, which turns and tries to run away. However because it has two legs longer then the other it can't run the other way so it tumbles down the mountain killing itself, without the need for a single shot being fired.

Top Bottom