Farringdon - 2 cyclists down in three days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 1415956"]
Tuesday cycling home. Southbound. Cyclist down at Charterhouse St junction. Ambulance. Mini-cab stopped. About 5.45ish.

Wed morn cycling into work. The Clapham shooting. (See separate thread).

This morning cycling to work. Northbound exit of Blackfriars Bridge. Cyclist down. Bloke on stretcher. Ambulance. Traffic snarled up South all the way to Soutwark Tube.

All seems rather (more) crazy (than normal) at the moment.
[/quote]

The good weather is increasing the number of cyclists.

To counterpoint CoG's anecdotes here's mine. 14-odd years of cycle commuting between Marylebone and the City - half an hour each way, most days until these last few months (apart from 18-odd months off). I've seen the aftermath of one bike smash (ambulance, cyclist on a stretcher - in Bloomsbury) and one motorbike smash (ditto ditto - just north of Holborn). That's in 14 years. 14 years.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 1415958"]
Fair point. I posted beacuse it has been an exceptional three days. (Of which only two bike related).
[/quote]

Understood. I'm afraid it's something I'm slightly sensitive to. When I started commuting in London (after a lot of riding around Oxford) everyone told me I was terribly brave. In fact London is much easier to ride in than Oxford - wider roads, slower traffic, more lights.

It's also the case that the internet and forums like this magnify our perception of risk beyond reasonable levels. If it's very easy to find out about the terrible things that have happened and think they're usual. They're not!

mumbo jumbo

The good weather is increasing the number of cyclists.

To counterpoint CoG's anecdotes here's mine. 14-odd years of cycle commuting between Marylebone and the City - half an hour each way, most days until these last few months (apart from 18-odd months off). I've seen the aftermath of one bike smash (ambulance, cyclist on a stretcher - in Bloomsbury) and one motorbike smash (ditto ditto - just north of Holborn). That's in 14 years. 14 years.
+1
15 years of commuting into central Birmingham and I've only ever seen one cyclist down (not counting me when simply fell off and hurt my wrist!) . That was earlier this year on the mega RAB where the A41 meets the inner ring road. Stopped to chat. Ambulance had already been called. Looked like he might have broken his arm or collar bone.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have found the past two weeks very quiet on Swindon's roads, less traffic than normal and no-one driving like a mad muppet. Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself for the ride home.

[QUOTE 1415958"]
Fair point. I posted beacuse it has been an exceptional three days. (Of which only two bike related).
[/quote]

That's two in well over a million journeys over those two days. Work out how long it would take you to do a million journeys.

The trouble with forums like this is they tend to report all the incidents that do happen without reporting all the journeys that were without incident to put them in context, making it seem much more dangerous than it is.

Top Bottom