Fatty vs Skinny

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Ha ha ... I have a long-standing ambition to do the Todmorden-Hebden Bridge-Mytholmroyd-Cragg Vale-Blackstone Edge-Littleborough-Walsden-Todmorden loop in an hour. Given that it is almost exactly 32 km (20 miles) with a whacking great hill halfway, I suspect that I will never manage it. I did it in 1 hr 9 mins once though so maybe I could if I got my weight back down to 76 kg (12 stone) and trained hard for it ... :whistle:

That does sound quite testing. How do you think that would split- something like this?

Tod centre to foot of Cragg- 15

Up Cragg- 27

Top of Cragg down and through lights at Littleborough- 4

Littleborough to Tod centre- 13

And then get there with a minute to spare! Looks painful : /

(Apologies to the OP for going off on this tangent.)

Levo-Lon

Guru
Fatty & skinny went to bed fatty blew off and skinny was dead..
school boy rhymes..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
(Apologies to the OP for going off on this tangent.)
Yes - sorry for meandering away from the thread topic, but it is kind of related!

That does sound quite testing. How do you think that would split- something like this?

Tod centre to foot of Cragg- 15

Up Cragg- 27

Top of Cragg down and through lights at Littleborough- 4

Littleborough to Tod centre- 13

And then get there with a minute to spare! Looks painful : /
Your timings actually do make it sound pretty tough! :laugh:

I have another target which is to do the CV hill climb course in 20 minutes. I wouldn't seriously try to do the hour loop unless I could manage the 20 minute climb. You could add (say) 3 minutes to the 20 to get from the A646 to the start of the hill climb, and from the end of that to the A58, so I would have to do the rest of the loop in about 37 minutes.

If I ever do it, I will probably choose very early on a summer Sunday before the traffic builds up. I'd want a day with nothing more than a gentle wind blowing, and I wouldn't want any temporary traffic lights to slow me down (there are several sets on the loop at the moment). I would obey any red lights so hopefully I would not get too many. I would ride to Littleborough for a warm-up, u-turn at the lights and start my timer just on the Tod side of them. I'd stop the timer as I got to the lights at the end, whether they were on red or not, which would eliminate a potential delay there. I think all of the other sets of lights are triggered by cars or pedestrians so an early start would eliminate delays at most of them as well.

It is very unlikely to be possible this year but it is something I would rather try and do aged 61 (next year) or 62, rather than busting a gut at 71 or 72 so I had better get stuck in! :okay:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Like most GCN videos that's a bit, well, crap. All it proves is people with heavy bags on their backs may cycle up hills a bit slower. It doesn't simulate body weight, most particularly not muscle mass.

I agree the video isn't perfect, but for the sake of the experiment and the point being questioned in this thread, just assume that the extra weight discussed is all fat and disregard muscle. I think that was the initial point questioned by the OP.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
On a short sharp hill muscle mass may make a difference where anaerobic and neuro-muscular power come into play and you can sprint/power your way up the short sharp ramp. However it is not sustainable and for any decent length hill it is down to your aerobic capacity and power you can put out over the course of the climb.

christopher-froome-cycling-tour-de-france-960.jpg

contador-pn-st7.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
On a short sharp hill muscle mass may make a difference where anaerobic and neuro-muscular power come into play and you can sprint/power your way up the short sharp ramp. However it is not sustainable and for any decent length hill it is down to your aerobic capacity and power you can put out over the course of the climb.

christopher-froome-cycling-tour-de-france-960.jpg

contador-pn-st7.jpg
Don't go being sensible now ;)

sarahale

Über Member
I thought about this yesterday. Everyone overtakes me on the flat but up the hills I'm overtaking alot of people and seem to find them easier than those I'm passing. I'm only 55kg so maybe that's why.

I thought about this yesterday. Everyone overtakes me on the flat but up the hills I'm overtaking alot of people and seem to find them easier than those I'm passing. I'm only 55kg so maybe that's why.

Your not trying hard enough on the flats or your just sandbagging waiting for the hills to humiliate those that just passed you ^_^:okay:

Top Bottom