Favourite type of road to cycle on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I used to stick to the main roads when cycling. Since I've been exploring little side roads I much prefer them. The main roads are quicker and often less hilly, but the little lanes have an appeal to them. They aren't wide enough for more than one car, are very up and down and have more than their fair share of flies, but I really enjoy cycling on them. I've found another great road that takes me out behind Tescos. It's fairly steep going back though (17% gradient according to the sign) so might be funny trying to cycle back with pannier loads of shopping. Great fun though.

So what kind of roads do you all like cycling on? I don't like muddy single track gravely roads that much, but these little country lanes with the odd pot hole in the back of beyond I have got quite fond of.

tyred

Legendary Member
Country lanes for me without a doubt. Although you can go much harder, much easier on a well surfaced main road, I like to cruise around and look at the scenery and relax.

dodgy

I always choose the lanes, the Garmin Edge 705 helps me in plotting my routes so I hardly ever have to hit a busy road. I love it when I find a road with a smooth surface, I mean really smooth - why are most roads covered in tar and topped with pebble dash these days?

I'm with Tyred - the back country roads around S.Cheshire,North Shropshire and Wales are fantastic if you want to take in all of natures glory.

Rolling hills like the ones where my parents live in Oxenhope. Superb for cycling, not so good for keeping warm in the winter.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
dodgy said:
I always choose the lanes, the Garmin Edge 705 helps me in plotting my routes so I hardly ever have to hit a busy road. I love it when I find a road with a smooth surface, I mean really smooth - why are most roads covered in tar and topped with pebble dash these days?

How is your Garmin? I've ordered a 705 and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I'm quite interested to see how the altitude thing works and how it is as a GPS. Did you have to buy additional maps?

Bodhbh

Guru
Probably the wrong answer given it's an easy and for some a boring option: back roads in the fens. no traffic but feel like you're getting from A to B. But viva la difference, ying and yang, don't appriciate flat without hills, country without town, and all that.

bonj2

When i cycle to sheffield from work i normally go on the back roads which have fairly shite surfaces, but the last time i thought for a change i'll go on the bypasses (70mph dual carriageways) - I actually found it really relaxing.
The road is smooth, you can get a fast cruising pace going, it's relatively flat, and the traffic - while going fast, is going constant speed - rather than constantly slowing and accelerating and pulling out of junctions, which can be stressful.
You get the strange fading doppler effect of passing vehicles which is actually quite relaxing compared to the roaring of engines that you get when everyone is accelerating and trying to cut through the traffic.
On my route the only dodgy bit is the whit moor roundabout which is a right bitch as it's got 6 exits and is on a hill, but a very small diversion is possible which makes for an easier approach to it, a bit of planning and this should be the case for most routes.

ACS

Legendary Member
Country lanes mainly because they tend to be in a better state of repair than the main arterial routes, less road works to contend with and almost no ‘get out of my way NOW!’ type drivers and of course you meet other cyclists on them who are also avoiding………...

Long may Fife council continue their quest to ruin every main arterial route in the county.

dodgy

Plax said:
How is your Garmin? I've ordered a 705 and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I'm quite interested to see how the altitude thing works and how it is as a GPS. Did you have to buy additional maps?

The Garmin is excellent, quite a steep learning curve for them if you want to get the best out of them, though. I would recommend Garmin's City Navigator Europe, the Topo map is pretty pointless even for MTBing. If you're skint right now, load the free open source maps from somewhere like here - http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Dave.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i love the cheshire lanes, there's surely no more beautiful place in the world to be on an english summer day. that said, i'd prefer fewer potholes and gravelly surfaces (especially on the descents), but hey, can't have everything.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
dodgy said:
The Garmin is excellent, quite a steep learning curve for them if you want to get the best out of them, though. I would recommend Garmin's City Navigator Europe, the Topo map is pretty pointless even for MTBing. If you're skint right now, load the free open source maps from somewhere like here - http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Dave.

Cheers for that.

Consensus seems to be country lanes then!
I never used to like them that much as I used to tear around everywhere at speed and country lanes would drop my average speed a lot and involve more hills. I think that was from a commuting mentality though. Now I'm doing a lot more leisure miles I much appreciate the nicer scenery and "quietness" of the country lanes and take my time to perfect the art of pootling.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It has to be exactly the right tarmac, smooth, easy-rolling and with few potholes. I don't like steep, twisty descents nor gravel and certainly not both together. Nothing beats a relatively quiet B-road as long as the above conditions are met.

Alternatively: French roads.

Top Bottom