Favourite type of road to cycle on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Lots of lanes like that arouns my way too - love 'em.
I'm a bit less keen on fords since I fell in one. It was quite cold.

Rob S

A great question.

If I were to create my own perfect cycling road it would be modelled very closely on the A396 from Tiverton (Devon) to Dunster (Somerseeeet).
Some 22 miles long, heading north it runs through wooded valleys, twisting and turning as it follows the River Exe, River Quarme and then picks up the River Aville after the road has climbed to 288m above sea level and descended the Col De La Croix de Wheddon. It's a quiet road that has it's small areas of bumpy and balding pebble dash coating as well as invasion of tree roots to it's edges...some money has been spent resurfacing some particularly potholed parts between Cove and the Bampton roundabout over the last couple of years.

A view I have spent many minutes of past summers looking at whilst supping lukewarm cans of Lilt or Orange Tango from the sadly now closed Black Cat garage (out of picture to the right)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/rks040472/blackcatjunction.jpg

Another view of the road further north.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/rks040472/quarmehilljunction.jpg

Other roads I enjoy riding are those roads that used to be A roads but have in recent years been relegated to C-road status usually as it's been bypassed by the dual carriageway version. Locally the best example is the old A30 from Launceston To Whiddon Down which LEJOGers are probably familiar with. Nice wide road, well maintained with bugger all traffic on it.;)

U

User482

dodgy said:
I always choose the lanes, the Garmin Edge 705 helps me in plotting my routes so I hardly ever have to hit a busy road. I love it when I find a road with a smooth surface, I mean really smooth - why are most roads covered in tar and topped with pebble dash these days?

It's called surface dressing, and is much cheaper than full resurfacing. With local authority highways budgets as they are, it's no great surprise that they've cut surfacing costs.

betty swollocks

large member
Out in the countryside, without a doubt.
West Berkshire is rural and really very nice, but in an ideal world, I'd have the Welsh Marches or Northumberland/Scottish Borders at my fingertips.

2labpyp.jpg

On a fine late summer's day overlooking the River Tweed, with the Cheviots in the distance. And that's me btw.

Davidc

Guru
Rob S said:
A great question.

If I were to create my own perfect cycling road it would be modelled very closely on the A396 from Tiverton (Devon) to Dunster (Somerseeeet).
Some 22 miles long, heading north it runs through wooded valleys, twisting and turning as it follows the River Exe, River Quarme and then picks up the River Aville after the road has climbed to 288m above sea level and descended the Col De La Croix de Wheddon. It's a quiet road that has it's small areas of bumpy and balding pebble dash coating as well as invasion of tree roots to it's edges...some money has been spent resurfacing some particularly potholed parts between Cove and the Bampton roundabout over the last couple of years.

A beautiful route (if a little steep in places). Haven't done it for a few years though.

Aperitif

Meme bar
Smooth and flat - a French road. No bloody grit telling me it is a 'cycle lane' or a 'bus lane' - just blacktop and minimal white lines with the odd word to say 'Bus Stop'. (If you can't read, you shouldn't be in a car etc...) The best example I can give of that is the resurfaced bit of Park Road in London - heading towards Baker Street...yum yum.

U

User482

Aperitif said:
Smooth and flat - a French road. No bloody grit telling me it is a 'cycle lane' or a 'bus lane' - just blacktop and minimal white lines with the odd word to say 'Bus Stop'. (If you can't read, you shouldn't be in a car etc...) The best example I can give of that is the resurfaced bit of Park Road in London - heading towards Baker Street...yum yum.

Agree re French roads - tend to be smooth, less congestion, and drivers much more considerate. I have a hankering to do the channel to the med at some point.

bonj2

User482 said:
Agree re French roads - tend to be smooth, less congestion, and drivers much more considerate. I have a hankering to do the channel to the med at some point.

apart from that roundabout in the middle of paris which is a free for all.

Cranky

Country lanes for me, too. Undulating, preferably, with panoramic views. The Cuddly Cotswolds take some beating and, luckily, are on my doorstep. But I've enjoyed many areas of the country when touring: the Bowland Hills last year were spectacular, Lon las Cymru, C2C, Devon.... I could go on.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I quite like a quiet road that's well surfaced the two don't always go hand in hand but when you find them they're great.

Top Bottom