Fell off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Today i fell off.
Was off road around Harewood House.Came upon a double puddle could not decide quick enough what to do.
But what did i do, hit the brakes (why?).

Could not get my foot out fast enough.Fell sideways into a shallow ditch.

Noone hurt nor any damage to bike.

But still wondering why i applied the brakes.A stupid thing to do.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Ooh, hope you're alright!

Indecision seems to have been the error of the day.

papercorn2000

I fell off last Wednesday on the red route at Glentress. I'd done innerleithen in the morning and was getting tired. Took my eye off the ball for a second and went down. Sore and stiff shoulder all week and a great bruise on my knee and side. Just as well there were no witnesses. I lay on my back staring up at the trees and whimpering for several miinutes...

Globalti

Legendary Member
My worst MTB fall was when I was riding down a flight of steps where vandals had stolen the hand rail, leaving just the cast iron stanchions. In the middle of the flight there was a bend to the right and as I leaned the bike my right hip contacted the top of a stanchion causing me to bounce off and cannon into another stanchion opposite, hitting my shoulder hard. All this is while travelling downhill, fast. I was lucky not to break my collar bone but was badly bruised, my hip and my left shoulder were blue and yellow for days and I couldn't move my left arm. This couldn't have happened at a worse time because the following day we moved into a new house and the day after than we pulled down the kitchen ceiling and a stud wall, followed by two more weeks of desperate work to get the house habitable. It wasn't much fun doing the work one-handed!

newbiebiker

i remember what the other bikers told me when they learned i fell off...'Congratulations! now you're a real biker!' it took me 2 days to discern what they really mean.;)

Keith Oates

Janner
Bad luck Postman, glad there was no real damage done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
To turn Gerry's Confucianism around a bit, an old skiers dictum has it that 'If you're not falling over, you're not learning.'

Don't waste time obsessing about the 'dumb' braking. We all do dumb things all the time. Every now and then, we *don't* get away with it, that's all. Glad you're basically ok.

In my unicycle days, I learnt that there were various ways to correctly - or otherwise - dismount a unicycle. I perfected one method. I leave it to you guys to figure out....:sun:

Anyway, glad no harm done, Postie. Retribution from 'pool, perhaps? ;)

Proto

Legendary Member
I fell off last Sunday on the Evans Sortive ride, first time I've come off on a road ride in twenty years or so.

Steady pace, group of about seven, I was riding close to the wheel of this charming young Danish woman, reached down for a drink bottle, clipped her wheel, tried hard to keep it upright without bringing her down, but sadly failed. Grazes all down my RH side sticky out bits - knee, hip, elbow, shoulder - and hit my head VERY hard on the road, hard enough to dent my helmet and crack the polystyrene inner.

My fault - too close, wrong time to get a drink.

Much more serious that my wounds though were the scratches to my Record ergos and rear mech. ;)

Top Bottom