Fence painting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Creosote is not easy to buy now, the substitute is not as good but it will have to do. Mainly we have high hedges around the gardens but what fences we do have takes about 100 litres to do a good job.

keithmac

Guru
The newer type of fence posts are the likely weak point these days. That rot below ground level.
Concrete posts obviate that but look ugly.

With hindsight I wish we'd gone with concrete posts for that reason.

There's composite plastic posts but don't know how study they are?.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I've got enough on the other side I guess...
View attachment 371487

Still not finished the fence painting!

Six hours hard labour on Saturday, producing a mountain of ivy taller than me took me from what you see above to this:
IMG_9335.JPG

There's still more to do! :cry:

pauldavid

Veteran
Still not finished the fence painting!

Six hours hard labour on Saturday, producing a mountain of ivy taller than me took me from what you see above to this:
View attachment 380912

There's still more to do! :cry:

I’d have left the Ivy on, looking at the state of the fence it was probably the Ivy holding it up. Don’t bother painting it just get a quote for replacing it after the next decent gust of wind!

Colin_P

Guru
The newer type of fence posts are the likely weak point these days. That rot below ground level.
Concrete posts obviate that but look ugly.

Paint them as well !

They only need to look at it, not breathe it.

I'm the guy who makes his own Waxoyl. Recipe available for any tight fisted folk that want it

Yes please, also do you have an 'oinkment' to rub in and sooth sore buttocks?

As for painting fences and being late to the fence painting party here are my tips and observations having painted and painted and painted mine;

• There ain't no way but the hard way, so get used to it. Get a brush and get going with it.
  • Brushing pushes the paint into the grain, with spraying it sits on top and peels / flakes.
  • Creosote, I went through a phase of making some using old diesel engine oil and white spirit and came to the conclusion that although smelling like the real thing from days of old, I actually hated the smell. It is ok to get a waft as you walking past but sitting in your own garden having to smell it all the times is horrible.
  • Creosote, makes your fence as flammable as petrol, a big nope for me having an ally way right at the bottom of the garden where scroates congregate and do scroat like things like setting fences on fire.
  • Water based stuff does last maybe two to three years before it needs another coat and having experimented with loads of different and exotic stuff I've found that Wickes shed and fence paint is, pound for pound, the best.
  • Painting should really be done between when the clocks go forward and the end of April before everything sprouts and makes access trickier.
  • Painting, if you have a lot to do and for your own sanity, set yourself reasonable targets. Me, I can do two 6ft x 6ft panels in one go and at a stretch do three before getting a bit twitchy. Thr most I've ever done in one go is about six and that took a long time to get over. Thankfully I only have a total of 27 panels and don't envy any of you with more, that would be the fence equivalent of the fourth bridge.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
  • Painting, if you have a lot to do and for your own sanity, set yourself reasonable targets. Me, I can do two 6ft x 6ft panels in one go and at a stretch do three before getting a bit twitchy. Thr most I've ever done in one go is about six and that took a long time to get over. Thankfully I only have a total of 27 panels and don't envy any of you with more, that would be the fence equivalent of the fourth bridge.

Yes two or three at a time maximum.

I did three in the dark a couple of weeks ago - the result of the last one was quite funny.

I'm quickly learning that all things gardening are best done over many weeks. It's time consuming, but it is satisfying.

Might do the ones at the back blue, for fun.

Top Bottom