Few questions about the giro and bike racing in general.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Ok, as a novice roadie I've been enjoying the Giro coverage as my first ever tour.

How do you pick up whats going on though? after reading the Armstrong books I appreciate there's a lot of strategy involved but how do you know who are domestiques, who are the sprinters etc and why do the commentators go on about the colour of their jerseys so much?

Also, (and one from the Wife although I'm starting to become intrigued) how come they never stop for a wazz? are they simply sweating all the liquid out?

Its great to watch and its awe inspiring stuff but I feel as if I'm watching a film where everyone folows the plot but me :blush: :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Panter said:
Ok, as a novice roadie I've been enjoying the Giro coverage as my first ever tour.

How do you pick up whats going on though? after reading the Armstrong books I appreciate there's a lot of strategy involved but how do you know who are domestiques, who are the sprinters etc and why do the commentators go on about the colour of their jerseys so much?

Also, (and one from the Wife although I'm starting to become intrigued) how come they never stop for a wazz? are they simply sweating all the liquid out?

Its great to watch and its awe inspiring stuff but I feel as if I'm watching a film where everyone folows the plot but me :blush: :biggrin:

They dont stop for a pee. Its called a 'natural break'
You should be able to tell the sprinters and others from the body type.

Noodley

It will not take long for you to get to know the leaders, domestiques, climbers, sprinters...just keep watching.

The jersey colours are important as the signify the different competitons within the race for overall, points, climb, young rider.

They do sometimes stop for a pee, but can pee on the move as well.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ideally each team will have a general classification contender who minimises his losses in the early days, and hopes to cash in on the hills and mountains and maybe TT's.
They would also like a sprinter for glory days and publicity, like Bennati and Cavendish.
The rest are either breakaway boys, mountain climbers or worker bees to assist the others in terms of draughting, chasing down attacks and leading out the sprinters.
Not every team necessarily has all of the components. for instance Astana has 3 GC contenders and no sprinter (Ithink), whereas High Road have a sprinter but no GC contender.
That's a start anyway!

Noodley

rich p said:
...for instance Astana has 3 GC contenders and no sprinter (Ithink), whereas High Road have a sprinter but no GC contender.
That's a start anyway!

Assan Bazayev is a sprinter with Astana.
Pinotti might be High Road's GC contender, depends what happens in the next few days.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Usually if they stop for a wazz there won't be much happening anyway and they'll be off the back, the cameras are generally elsewhere. Generally there's always one bit of footage in a major tour where you see loads of riders lined up at the side of the road pissing into a ditch.

Mortiroloboy

Great isn't it! Going to get even better this weekend as the Alps and then the Dolomites start to feature, iconic place names Gavia, Mortirolo, Marmalade(sp).

I'm beginning to prefer the Giro to the Tour, not much interest in the Vuelta though, last years TT down the motorway was absolutely dire:sad::ohmy:

Picture/transmition quality seems lacking though this year.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've always liked the Giro, possibly because it's the first of the Grand Tours and says the season is well and truly underway. However the big one at the moment is still the TdF as the racing there is more intensive from the word go. I think the Giro and the Vuelta have some way to go to catch up with the TdF but I would be so happy if they took over the mantle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Wow, thanks for all the info people, much appreciated.

Great link John, thanks for that, most informative :smile:

Having a wazz on the go :smile: is there nothing they can't do whilst riding? :biggrin:

This cycling lark never ceases to amaze me. Even watching it is a complex business ;)

girofan

User259iroloboy said:
Great isn't it! Going to get even better this weekend as the Alps and then the Dolomites start to feature, iconic place names Gavia, Mortirolo, Marmalade(sp).

I'm beginning to prefer the Giro to the Tour
Picture/transmition quality seems lacking though this year.

You're all beginning to get there I see. Girofan is the clue! ;)
Picture always crap from the Italians, perhaps they're using Sky equipment rejects. :smile::biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

girofan said:
You're all beginning to get there I see. Girofan is the clue! ;)
Picture always crap from the Italians, perhaps they're using Sky equipment rejects. :biggrin::biggrin:

Yup, it's Marmolada BTW! not my rather strange spelling! I was confused :smile: too much vino :smile:
What a stage again for Sella,( I hope he isn't doping) sad isn't it when you watch something like that and have to think in such a way.:biggrin:

Top Bottom