Films that are rated and when you eventually

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

Saw them thought they were crap.

Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull
Interview With The Vampire
Good Morning Vietnam

To name just a few!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Greedo said:
Saw them thought they were crap.
Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull

Sorry, are you mental? ;)

And I am not sure Good Morning Vietnam and Interview with the Vampire are really rated - at least not in anywhere near the same class as the above. But I suppose it depends on whose rating...

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Nope. Just didn't enjoy them at all. Maybe it was the fact I was expecting them to be fantastic. But just couldn't understand what the fuss was about. I love films aswell and they just didn't do it for me.

Flying_Monkey said:
Sorry, are you mental? ;)

And I am not sure Good Morning Vietnam and Interview with the Vampire are really rated - at least not in anywhere near the same class as the above. But I suppose it depends on whose rating...

WelshYiddo

Its a Wonderful Life - wife nagged me for years to watch it and loads of people told it was superb...........I fell asleep after half an hour.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It tends to be pop cultural things for me - after many people telling me how good the Matrix was, I found it the most appallingly nonsensical and cynical piece of crap I'd watched in a long time.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
This is going to be one of those discussions isn't it?

The problem is that there are two different things here: 1. Direct Personal Opinions: I like this, I don't like this. Those are as they are and it's unlikely anyone is going to change them. However, there's also 2. Quality. This is much more difficult because it does not just depend on opinions but on understanding the 'language of film' technical and emotional, having the patience to go beyond simple and immediate reactions etc. etc.

So someone has every right to think that Citizen Kane is boring (and they can't be 'wrong' in that), but that doesn't make Citizen Kane a film of low quality or cultural worth. There's too much about it that is technically and dramatically brilliant. Those things will never persuade everyone to enjoy it, however.

domtyler

Über Member
Titanic - Turned off before the opening credits had finished
Pearl Harbour - Expecting a load of violence and explosions - got a crappy chick flick

In short, all chick flicks should have clear labelling and government health warnings! ;)

OP
OP
G

Greedo

it's not meant to be an indepth discussion. It's just to see what people like and don't like.

For instance I don't know anyone male or female who doesn't like The Godfather. I do know people who love Raging Bull and know people who don't (me included) So it was just really a bit of fun to be honest.

Flying_Monkey said:
This is going to be one of those discussions isn't it?

The problem is that there are two different things here: 1. Direct Personal Opinions: I like this, I don't like this. Those are as they are and it's unlikely anyone is going to change them. However, there's also 2. Quality. This is much more difficult because it does not just depend on opinions but on understanding the 'language of film' technical and emotional, having the patience to go beyond simple and immediate reactions etc. etc.

So someone has every right to think that Citizen Kane is boring (and they can't be 'wrong' in that), but that doesn't make Citizen Kane a film of low quality or cultural worth. There's too much about it that is technically and dramatically brilliant. Those things will never persuade everyone to enjoy it, however.

Top Bottom