Finally a cyclepath for recumbent riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
Warning link to the Daily Mail. Open at your own risk

5'9" headroom? Luxury!

(courtesy of http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2010/07/duck-special-low-headroom-in-lee-valley.html)

This is a bridge under the railway line on Sustrans 1 at Walthamstow marsh. Only 5' - but people still cycle under it, perfectly possible as long as one ducks... Busy route that sees lots of walkers as well.

byegad

Legendary Member
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Numpties rule!

I love reading the comments section on DM articles, helps you get a feel for what you are up against. Very interesting on this one is the fact, that although the readership often don't like cyclists they hate local councils even more. One of the worst rated comment is surprisingly this one. I would have expected this to have been voted favorably normally.
"
They could duck - cyclists are a damned nuisance anyway - weaving in and out of heavy traffic, going the wrong way up one way streets,on pavements, going through red lights, etc. And why are they always so ruddy angry always? If you dare to point out that they shouldn't be breaking the highway code, they scream abuse at you as their angry little legs peddle off as they just go on doing what you ask them not to do."

Manifietso

When a council spent £320,000 on a cycle path, it seemed like a large sum to take from the public purse.

Now when was the last time you read an article starting "When a council spent £320,000,000 on a road, it seemed like a large sum to take from the public purse".

?:evil:

I understand the going rate for a half decent off-road route is £200k per mile, so for a mile of good path, that's a fair sum.

Only problem is, well - we know.

Any engineers / people who know the site - what would be the cost to excavate down say another 50cm, and is there an easy solution to the mud problem?

Also, they don't say how much the rest of the 70m route will cost (per mile).

Yet again, I find myself wondering how Sustrans backed this project? Or do only midgets work for them these days?

Top Bottom