First Aid Kits - Who carries what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The OP is in Bury St Edmunds, I don't know Suffolk but I think they have fresh water there

Some people tour in areas which don't?

Snake and scorpion anti-venom might be useful, although it would probably be a good idea to make absolutely sure the person isn't at all allergic to it before offering it to them. Maybe they could sign a disclaimer, which could form part of the first aid impedimenta.

This is probably off topic in some ways, but as you have raised the subject of anti-venom and "disclaimers, it is only polite to respond

You are perfectly correct in that it is a good idea to ensure patients are not allergic to anti-venom due to the high rate of reactions.

It is normally a balance between the reaction to the bite and the reaction to the anti-venom, with some papers suggesting that the use of adrenaline before the anti-venom can reduce reactions by some 40%

You are also almost correct with the disclaimer. We usually refer to it as "consent" and due to the high incidence of reactions it is common practice to obtain consent prior to use. Also there is the issue that due to the nature ofthe product and availability it is commmon practice to use "unlicensed" anti-venoms which require full consent

Few health care professionals however would consider informed consent for a medication as an "impediment", it is usually considered good professional practice to obtain patient consent

Rook scarers are useful too, for scaring off lions and wildebeest.
Once more an entirely appropriate pos, although bird scarers work better with birds
These things can happen:

A man from Cornwall has been attacked by a bird of prey while riding his bike in north Devon.

Euan Mahey was left covered in blood after the bird, thought to be a buzzard, sank its talons into his head.

The attack happened just outside Holsworthy - in the same place were there has been a series of attacks in the past three years.

Mr Mahey was left with small puncture wounds to his scalp and bird experts said he could have been badly injured.

Mr Mahey told BBC News: "I was cycling along this very quiet road when I felt this awesome thud.

"I turned round and saw this bird with its talons outstretched retreating away from me. It was quite incredible.

"I can't believe it was in exactly the same spot as the previous attacks.

"I think other cyclists should watch out and look around because they will be attacked."

Don't forget the tinfoil hat in case aliens attack.

Foil blankets were discussed earlier. Expanding their use into head gear would certainly add functionality and make them even more useful

Profpointy

Legendary Member
All the First Aid Course are updated according to the relevant information from the independent bodies such as the UK Resuscitation Council, and that leads content for the HSE as well.

It is common ground and usually led by the HSE guidance ... The HSE remains the lead

... and the basic fact remains that NONE of these courses include the use of medication

Are you referring specifically to First Aid at Work? There's a lot of first aid training that isn't "at work" so presumably nowt to do with HSE.

And regarding drugs, as already mentioned by scubabro, diving includes oxygen admin (classed as a drug - when used for first aid, but not when actually diving when it is no longer a drug). I've also been trained to give morphine, related anti-emetics & Entonox on a first aid course. That said, hardly likely to have these to hand whilst cycling but proves the no-drugs thing is simply factually wrong as stated - but I can see where you're coming from on basic First aid at work and the like

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't carry anything apart from a couple of paracetemol in case I get a headache for no reason in particular. If I come off, I'll either have some grazes which won't be life-threatening, or I'll be in the good hands of the nee-naw people. Keep it simple.

Are you referring specifically to First Aid at Work? There's a lot of first aid training that isn't "at work" so presumably nowt to do with HSE.

And regarding drugs, as already mentioned by scubabro, diving includes oxygen admin (classed as a drug - when used for first aid, but not when actually diving when it is no longer a drug). I've also been trained to give morphine, related anti-emetics & Entonox on a first aid course. That said, hardly likely to have these to hand whilst cycling but proves the no-drugs thing is simply factually wrong as stated - but I can see where you're coming from on basic First aid at work and the like

The OP was asking about First Aid Kits, in this case there are no medications, and giving medication is advised against

Specific situations may differ and additional training may differ in named cases.... diving for instance, off-shore first aid where the medical response is limited and likely to be tardy always had different courses.

These are not however generic first aid. I would be interested in the details of the first aid course that these were taught on, and I would be surprised if it was not an industry specific, or role specific and hence not the first aid referred to in the OP

Top Bottom